Sign in to follow this  
Coach

The Perfect Rib Roast

About 4 years ago I startd a Christmas tradiion of cooking up a home made Prime Rib roast. The first time I tired it, I hit it out of the ballpark. The past 3 years to follow, it was OK, even realy good but not anywhere near that first one.

So, I lucked into it once but lat's talk about what makes the perfect prime rib. I've got this link to Chef's awesome rib...

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22895

But I have to ask - seems there are two camps for standing rib roast (aka prime rib), one is cook really hot, really fast with beef stock arond 500 degrees. The other is you cook slower at 350 degrees and keep the internal meat under 120 degrees.

I've got a really good hunk of prime rib waiting to ge cooked up this year, and I'll rub it with EVOO and a dry rub we already like, but the question is, is it better to run really hot, like 500 degrees and really sear it and let it stand, or is somethign like 400 degrees until the meat around the bone gets to 120 and let it stand for 15 minutes?

• Like 1

Like I posted in TJ's thread.

My dad made our Christmas dinner a couple weeks ago. The way he cooked it was a new one, but it was absolutely perfect! 500* for 5 minutes per pound. Then, shut the oven off and let it stand in the oven for 2 hours. It was absolutely perfect and by far the best home made prime rib I've ever had!

• Like 1

Like I posted in TJ's thread.

My dad made our Christmas dinner a couple weeks ago. The way he cooked it was a new one, but it was absolutely perfect! 500* for 5 minutes per pound. Then, shut the oven off and let it stand in the oven for 2 hours. It was absolutely perfect and by far the best home made prime rib I've ever had!

We cook it this way also and it has always been great. It cooks more like a steak and not like a roast. It also makes a heck of a mess in the oven but it is more than worth it. We have a prime rib we have been dry aging and Saturday will be the 8th day... Mmmmmmm

Forgot to add, make sure the meat is at room temperature when it goes in.

• Like 1

Several ways to do it good!

Looks like Casey and Vinnie have it figured-out. One variable with the 'turn off the oven' method is the oven you're using though. Some ovens cool quicker or slower than others.... ;)

My preferred is to blast it at 500 for 20 minutes or so, then back the heat off to 325 for about 10 minutes per pound. A good meat thermometer is key!!! Only go til the internal temp is 120 or so...... VERY easy to overcook if you don't watch the internal temp closely! Then remove from the oven and cover with foil for 20 minutes. Yum!

Recipes are like opinions though, I suppose. And you know what they way about that! :lol:

S.

:)

PS: Looks like TJ did it right! ;)

• Like 1

For fatty meats, low and slow is the way to go -- like in a smoker. But it leaves the outside just plain ugly so you need to finish it off (or start it off )really HOT. America's Test Kitchen used to do the hot first and now goes with the hot last to produce an evenly medium rare condition throughout the thickness of the meat -- no nasty thick gray layer near the outside. We started doing doing steaks in our smoker for about 1/2 hr up to 100F internal temperature and then sear them on our really hot grill for 3 minutes, turning every 45 seconds to get nice, hatched grill marks. I would think a procedure similiar would work well on the fancy roasts. HOWEVER, it took quite a few trials to perfect the technique and man, that can be expensive experimenting on a prime rib!?

• Like 1

Ok, here is the nitty gritty when it comes to prime rib roasts.

*The name "prime rib" is descriptive of the location of the cut of meat on the cow, and does not represent grade.

I have cooked literally HUNDREDS of prime rib roasts in my lifetime. Some were great and some were so-so. The absolutely phenomenal roasts came about because I started with a spectacular grade of meat. Yes, this is one of the most important things to look for when cooking…quality of ingredients used. (I shop for meat like we analyze a trophy Coues rack)

http://meat.tamu.edu/beefgrading.html

As you can see, Prime grade is best but only 2% of all beef in the U.S. is ever graded as Prime, so it carries a high price. In this case, you get what you pay for, and that is the prominent and even marbling of fat throughout the meat. This is what gives the meat its juiciness and flavor. (Just like a hamburger made with high fat content ground beef is juicy) Keep in mind; there are variances within these grades that make one cut better than the other, even within the same grade. After all, the "grading" is done with the side of beef whole, so in reality, the entire rib and loin sections aren't even cut into when grading. This means you can get a "Choice" grade cut of beef, which is very close to, if not "Prime", if you know what to look for.

Ok, moving on…

Next, I want to clear some things up concerning cooking methods.
There are "dry heat" cooking methods, and there are "moist heat" cooking methods.

Dry heat cooking is what you do when grilling, roasting in an oven, broiling, etc. Dry heat cooking methods cater to cuts of animals that are for the most part, tender and higher in fat content.

Moist heat cooking is what you are doing when you braise a roast "covered" in an oven, or stewing (crock pot), etc. Moist heat cooking methods cater more towards cuts that are tougher and sinewy. They need longer cooking times at lower temperatures to break down the cell structure and make the meat tender. This technique generally accompanies the meat with a sauce or in a stew, to compensate for the lack of fat. (Juiciness)

So, it is not necessary to cook a piece of meat that is tender and well marbled (like a rib eye) in a crock pot. To add, it is ludicrous to cut a "steak" off a shoulder (chuck) then grill it, expecting it to be tender and juicy.

Ok, moving on even further…

Go out and buy a nice prime rib roast (this is what they cut rib eyes out of BTW) and look for one that has nice marbling of fat throughout the eye of it. Try not to get one that has a huge "vein" of fat running through the center of it either. (aaahhh, that's what makes the difference in the grades!) Bone in or boneless, doesn't matter. Whatever strikes your fancy.

Next, you may want to age it, but that write up is for another time, or remember "Google" is your friend.
wink.gif

• Like 3

Now on to the cooking part! (Finally, I know)

There seems to be confusion as to which is better, searing and roasting in a moderately heated oven, over not searing and blasting the roast in a very hot oven, then shutting the oven off. Guys and gals, you are doing basically the same thing. Searing that is. Although different ovens work and seal differently than others do, sous-chefs beware!

Now what exactly does searing do?
Does it seal in the juices? Not really.
Does it impart flavor and a nice color to the exterior of the roast? YES!

Now, let's pretend we all agree to sear the roast in a hot skillet. Use pomace olive oil, NOT extra virgin olive oil. Why? That's because extra virgin olive oil has a lower smoking temperature than the oil from a later press. (pomace) That way, you can crank the heat up in the pan, without smoking (burning) everyone out of the kitchen. You can even use a blend of safflower and pomace olive oil for an even higher smoking point. Save the extra virgin olive oil for your salads and such.

Ok, so now we've seared the roast (all sides, even the ends) and are ready to season the roast and place it on a roasting pan WITH A RACK. Why a rack? That's because we want to keep the meat off of the roasting pan where the fat and drippings are. That way, the nice sear and crust that we worked so hard to achieve, stays all the way around the roast. Besides, if you get enough drippings, we end up "boiling" the bottom part of the roast and we don't want that, so we elevate the roast off the pan by using a rack.

Now, place in a pre-heated oven (325*f-350*f) and cook, uncovered, until an internal temperature of around 120*f-125*f is achieved. Now, you want to be careful on this part, depending on the size of the roast. The larger the roast, the more "carry over cooking" you will get. What is "carry over cooking" you ask? That is the amount of cooking the roast continues to achieve even AFTER taken out of the hot oven. Yup, they do that. So, it only makes sense that the larger the piece of meat is, the more heat it will hold. Kind of like shooting a big bull elk and letting it sit overnight during the early archery hunt. You can picture in your mind how much heat the carcass will hold in comparison to a smaller Coues buck. So, if you have a large rib roast you are taking out of the oven, do so at a lower temperature than what you want, to allow for carry over cooking. Make sense? Good.

*To take the temperature, use a calibrated meat thermometer. Digital or classic style doesn't matter as long as it's calibrated. An easy way to calibrate is to take a tall glass of ice water and probe the contents. Reading should be 32*f, or 212*f if reading boiling water. To check the internal temperature of your cooking roast, insert the probe into the deepest part of the roast. Make sure to note the location of the reading point on your thermometer!...some take the reading from the tip, while others take the reading somewhere halfway up the probe shaft. So you want to make sure THIS part of the probe is at the deepest part of your roast when taking the reading.

Ok...moving on...to rest or not to rest...that is the question!

DEFINITELY allow your roast to rest after taking it out of the oven. Again, the time to rest depends on the size of the roast. If unsure, rest for 15-20 minutes. Never, under any circumstances, slice or cut or poke into the roast until this time has passed. The resting process allows the juices to redistribute evenly amongst the cellular structure of the meat. Think if you will, that the juices are "boiling" inside this perfectly seared roast, and if you slice it, these bubbling juices will flow out and you will end up with a dry piece of meat.

So you've let the "boiling" juices simmer down, and calm down, and "absorb" themselves back into their respective places inside the roast. You have successfully rested your roast, congratulations.

• Like 1

You are basically done and if you are like me, are three sheets to the wind by now from drinking red wine as you cook. The beauty is in the journey right? Sit down, and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Now, there seems to be some confusion on whether it's best to cook your roast traditionally, like I described, or letting it sit for hours in the oven after cooking at 500*f or so for a short time. The latter is a take on a method used when cooking in an Alto Sham "cook and hold" oven. While an Alto Sham will render an outstandingly juicy roast with very little shrinkage, this is not the oven that most people have in their homes. With that said, you will need to practice with this method numerous times according to how your oven cooks and how well the door seals. To be consistent with it is difficult with a home oven because roasts are rarely alike in size, so the end result can vary. You don't want to make this more confusing than it needs to be.

Roasting in a smoker is similar in that you have to practice. Then you run into the same issues as above, in that you end up with different results with different sized roasts. Smoking is more time consuming as well, mainly because you have to keep a close eye on your smoker to maintain an even temperature and smoke. Albeit, you will end up with one of your best roasts if done right.

• Like 1

TIPS & TRICKS:

If you enjoy implanting your meat with garlic cloves, try roasting the garlic first. It imparts a milder, nuttier flavor that you will love. Raw garlic seems to taste like boiled garlic and can be too strong.

Another trick is to roast some garlic cloves and rub them onto the outside of the roast after you sear it, but before you season it.

Season your roast lightly with kosher salt and pepper and pomace olive oil before searing. Season heavy with kosher salt, spices and herbs of your choice AFTER searing but before the oven. If you season heavy with herbs & spices before you sear, you will burn your crust and impart a bitter flavor.

Burnt garlic and onion is bitter tasting. (applies to tip above)

Don't use garlic salt, ever. Use garlic powder and kosher salt, separately. Many people season with salt, then add garlic salt on top of that. You can picture the saltiness achieved while not intended.

Used fresh minced garlic instead of garlic powder whenever possible.

Use fresh cracked black pepper whenever possible instead of ground pepper.

White pepper is stronger than black pepper.

Extra virgin olive oil begins to smoke (decomposition occurs) at a lower temperature than pomace olive oil. Extra virgin olive oil is made during the first press of the fruit. Virgin olive oil is from the second press, and so on. The lighter in green color the oil is, the farther away from the first press it is.

Season your roast heavy, after all, once you slice it, you only end up with a small layer of crust on your plate.
Prime grade beef has fat that tastes great when cooked. The fat imparts a clean flavor and is a tell tale sign of a good cut of beef.

Take your roast out of the refrigerator for about an hour before starting the cooking process. That way, it isn't a cold piece of beef by the time it hits the oven. If you go straight from refrigerated temperature to oven temperature, the outside of the roast ends up more well done by the time the internal temperature desired is reached. Sometimes even burning your crust.[/size][/font]

• Like 1

Wow - thanks Chef. That was a very complete and informative series of posts! I've been using the wrong oil for sure (EVOO) gonna fix that this time. Also, I don't know if let the last two stand long enough and maybe that's why didn't come out as good - or quite possibly I just had a much better cut of meat the first time.

Looking forward to it! I also never thought about calibrating my themometer - it's a "dial" type so I'm not even sure how to adjust it. I'll have to look into that.

Last question - for the best au jus, do you pour the drippings and pieces of the crust from the roasting pan into beef stock? I dont' necessarily want greasy bubbles in the au-jus but want as much flavor from the meat as I can get.

Ok - I lied - one more. You mention using minced garlic instead of garlic powder. I usually coat entire outside in in EVOO (now pomace OO) to help the outer seasonings stick to it better. Any issues with getting minced garlic to stick to the meat and stay there along with all the dry seasonings?

Thanks again!

I also never thought about calibrating my themometer - it's a "dial" type so I'm not even sure how to adjust it. I'll have to look into that.

The dial portion should have a nut behind it that connects it to the needle probe. You can get a wrench or a pair of pliers and adjust the dial as needed.

Last question - for the best au jus, do you pour the drippings and pieces of the crust from the roasting pan into beef stock?

Yes, I first degrease my roasting pan, then deglaze the pan with a little red wine, making sure I scrape off all the goodies that stick to the bottom. (as long as they aren't burnt) I then add this to my sauce or au jus. The "fond" that sticks to the bottom of pans is nothing but flavor that is sometimes the basis for a lot of sauce recipes.

Any issues with getting minced garlic to stick to the meat and stay there along with all the dry seasonings?

You bring up a very good point and I have found my way around it. Instead of patting my seasonings onto the roast individually, I make a paste of sorts. I use both dry spices, fresh garlic, fresh herbs and a little olive oil. The dry spices absorb the oil and make a paste that I spread generously all over the roast, including the bottom. You can mix in a little cornstarch and this actually does two things...helps bind the paste together, and form a nice crust on the cooked roast.

The seasonings are where you can get creative. A memorable one for me is one in which I used dried chipotle pepper flakes together with the rest of the ingredients. It gave the roast a very rich color and a spicy fragrant aroma that permeated the kitchen while it cooked. Again, be liberal with the seasonings, including the kosher or flaked sea salt.

I look forward to hearing how yours turns out this year. Take some pics and share with us!

• Like 1

Coach, thank god Chef took the time to explain all that because I was going to say the exact same things. lol The only reason my prime rib came out so spectacular was because I had my wife looking over my shoulder but most of all having Chef pick out the best piece of meat Van Hanson's had in the store. Good luck on yours and take some pictures. :)

TJ

• Like 1

Will do - I'm actually cooking it up tomorrow since my mom making nice Christmas Ham and my aunt is in town. So we'll be doing our in-house Christmas dinner one day early. (Yeah) Who doesn't like Christmas to come early?

• Like 1

Chef, thanks for all of the info! I am following your instructions to a tee! I don't have a roaster with a rack so I'm improvising with a vegetable steamer rack. I have made several prime rib roasts and they always turn out good, but you obviously have it down to a science! Can you detail the au jus process? I always just mix the drippings with some beef stock, which again, is ok. Any tips on that?!

Thanks again!

Joeeden,

The au jus is basically a flavored beef stock, so you got it down.

Don't be afraid to taste it and add salt & pepper to taste etc.

Best of luck and Merry Christmas!