sherman

the best load for a .270 or a 25-06

What is your load (bullet,powder,primer,and case) for yor .270 win or your 25-06 rem or even your 22-250 rem. Just started to reload and dont have the money or time to buy 5 kind of bullets or powder so your info will be helpful

.270 I use

Win brass

IMR 4350

130 gr ballistic tip

You will have to play with seating depths and powder charges.

But these componets shoot .6 in my M70 featherweight.

in a .270 i shoot 140 gr hornady interloks. boattail softpoints. push em with hogdon h-4350. magnum primers. works real good in mine. never had anything close to what i'd call a bullet "failure". killed everthing there is within a 1000 miles of here with it. seldom shoot a .25/'06 and haven't loaded for it in years. in my .22/.250's i shoot hornady 52 grain match bullets, boattail hollowpoints. with varget powder and magnum primers. i use varget only in anything .22 cal. and in .243. seldom use anything but hogdon powder and hornady bullets. good luck. Lark.

I shoot Nosler Partitions in all my rifles, and have never had a bullet failure. Brass is whatever I have on hand. Powder is what loading data suggest is the most efficient for that particular caliber. Half-inch groups are fine, but are not needed to kill deer-size and larger animals. I seldom need to shoot at anything past 200 yards, although I've killed game at twice that distance.

Bill Quimby

Thanks for the info. Is there any differance in the nosler and the hornandy sst that is what I have loaded up so far?

ain't the sst the one that blows up like a grenade? if it's the one i'm thinking it is, i don't like em. the interloks and interbonds are real good. interbonds are quite expensive tho. like bill says, partitions are good too. i really like em except they are about 4x as much as what i shoot. Lark.

Don't know about the SST, but I do know about the Nosler Ballistic Tips. I shot my desert sheep with them, and the meat loss was horrific.

Partitions do what they are supposed to do, which is penetrate and expand, but the 175-grain bullets I shoot in my 7 mag usually only shoot through an animal without excessive meat damage. Lark is correct, they're expensive. However, I usually only shoot three or four to check zero before a hunt, then only one or two during the hunt. A box of 50 bullets will last several seasons.

There are more inherently accurate bullets than the Nosler Partitions out there, but as I've said before, minute-of-deer is all that counts.

Bill Quimby

I have some input on the quarter bore. I have to respectfully disagree with Mr. Quimby. I shoot the 115 Nosler Ballistic tips. I use 52gr H4831SC and a Magnum Primer. Very accurate loads- - - touching holes at 100 yards.

I have shot an Antelope, a Kaibab Muley and a Mid-Western Whitetail with the ballistic tips and they have performed flawlessly. No significant meat loss. I didn't hit them in the shoulders though. I imagine that the fragmentation would be greater in a shoulder or hind quarter. I hope to continue my testing this year on an AZ coues!

My results so far were best described as delicious! My best suggestion is to hunt a whole bunch, fill every tag you get and report the results to further this science experiment! Good luck!

270 Win. 58.0 gr H4831SC, Nosler Ballistic Tip 150 Gr. WLRM primers.

25-06 - this one is a tack driver. 50.0 gr. IMR 4350, 115 grain CT Ballistic Silver tips. Win Long Rifle primers - non magnum.

You can substitute accubonds in either of these if expansion is an issue.

I have yet to see a rifle that doesn't like IMR 4350 and accubonds - medium load, keep them as long as they'll fit in the magazine, and load without extra force on the bolt.

My powder of choice for the.270 is H4831. It should work well in your 25-06 also so no need to buy multiple powders. Its a Hodgon Extreme Powder so it is very stable over a wide range of temps.

Soon after the Nosler Ballistic Tip made it's debut a national gun magazine ran some comparison tests using 7mm Remington Magnum.

The BT's had the least penetration, about 17", compared to the partition and another Nosler bullet. Three bullets, all by Nosler and the same weight were shot into ballistics gelletin (sp).

At the time it had the same construction of a hollow point, just with a plastic tip stuffed into the nose. While on a hunt my partner shot a forked point at 400yds with a 150gr BT in a 300 Weatherby. The first shot crippled the buck making it unable to walk. We proceeded to head down into the bottom of the canyon to dispatch it but he decided to take another shot and hit it in the ham.

15 minutes later when we made it down there it had died but the last shot had blown up on impact and there was pulverized green plastic all through the ham.

270 Winchester:

Winchester brass

Federal GM215M primer

Reloader 22 powder

Nosler 130 Accubond or Barnes TTSX