Sign in to follow this  
Pine Donkey

Economic impact of mining on forum members

Mining in Arizona   

59 members have voted

1. 1. Is your income based on mining in Arizona?

• Mostly
    • Somewhat
    • Not at all
    • Currently looking for a job

I worked for phelps dodge in Morenci for 21 years. Like all jobs and employers, there was a few downfalls. The opportunity to advance was outstanding and they put a ton of money into outside training for the individuals who aspired. The hourly pay was below average for journeymen in the crafts, but from what I hear freeport has brought the pay up to competitive levels.

Economically, I was paid every two weeks, bonuses, matching 401k benefits, the birth of my two children cost me a whopping ten dollars each, retirement package, and they paid me to learn a very marketable skill. I quit 8 years ago to do something different for awhile, but overall the mines were as good as could be hoped as an employer for a non college graduate.

I mentioned the multiplying effect on another thread about the proposed mine in the Santa Ritas, but I wonder if all those who checked "not at all" actually realize how much another industry (including mining) contributes to theirs. Are you a carpenter? A car salesman? A real estate agent? A plumber? Your income is indirectly based on mining if you live in Arizona.

Bill Quimby

I mentioned the multiplying effect on another thread about the proposed mine in the Santa Ritas, but I wonder if all those who checked "not at all" actually realize how much another industry (including mining) contributes to theirs. Are you a carpenter? A car salesman? A real estate agent? A plumber? Your income is indirectly based on mining if you live in Arizona.

Bill Quimby

Bill,

I thought the same as well, mining has been a big part of this state for a long time and while I might think that there is no impact on my job I would not jump too fast to that conclusion.

Bill Quimby

Indirectly is a pretty big word.

Mining is a HUGE part of Arizona’s history and future. Although your livelihood may not be directly tied to mining, your daily life certainly is. It’s actually dizzying when you think about it. All the worlds’ metals didn’t miraculously appear ready to use. Someone dug them from the earth and processed them into a usable product. The steel of your rifle barrel, the aluminum screws on your bow and the diamond ring on your wife’s finger are just a few examples, not to mention the copper in this computer that I’m typing on right now. Most of us are end users, but my livelihood is directly tied to mining.

IMO mining is good IF the mining co actually pays for what they use ie build a four lane on the sonoita hwy that their trucks are going to use; reclaim the water they use; create habitat in other places that the wildlife that they are going to displace can use.

I suppose my income is (or has been) indirectly dependant on mining, because I'm the son of a copper miner. My father worked as an engineer/geologist at the Ray pit for over 30 years. Born and raised in Kearny..... Copper put me through college, and for that I'm greatful! ;)

S.

:)

"Indirectly" in the Jobs Multiplying Effect Rule of Economics 101 means that one new worker spending his wages -- money that was not in the economy previously -- can generate two or more jobs in seemingly unrelated industries.

Bill Quimby

The one and only bumper sticker on my truck...This country needs to do more mining, drilling, manufacturing and such.

post-230-0-79900800-1325635874_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A good deal of my wife's family is employed by Freeport in the Clifton, Morenci, Safford area so this issue hits close to home. I am torn on this issue all the time. I believe we as a country need to be as independent as possible of other nations natural resources. This country is blessed with so many resources. On the flip side as a lover of the outdoors I hate to see the irrepairable damage done by mining. As someone who has fallen in love with the Santa Ritas over the last 6-7 years I don't want to see those mountains turned into a scar but I do want us to utilize what God gave us. I wish we could remove copper from the ground without ever digging.

Lee

get an Az map and put a red mark on every working mine, and you can even put one on the ones that are no longer in operation. they don't take up much space. they do devistate the immediate area the occupy. but they don't occupy that much. figure in the literal billion$ they bring into this state every year, they ain't such a bad deal. they are quite ugly, but they sure support a lot o' folks. most of the power in this state comes from coal that comes from a coal mine, too. Lark.

• Like 1

be a long time before the gas burners take over and almost everything from palo verde goes to californy. besides, the fuel in palo verde comes from mines too. Lark.