CouesSlayer77

Hunting boots: what's good and what isn't?

I'm in the market (again) for a new pair of hunting boots. Yes I was just posting about a jacket but thats taken care of now and boots are now my next item on the list. So plz any input is great! I have regular width feet and no issues that will limit me! Thanks everybody y'all are great

About a year and a half ago (before deer season, 2010) I bought a pair of Kenetrek Hardscrabble Hikers. Ended up being a really good thing as they were new and stiff, and I was hunting with a type II sprained ankle. Those boots kept my foot squared away enough for me to hunt everyday of the hunt.

This past year, I wore them at work alot to break them in and soften them up and they were great! This past December I hiked more than I usually do and they were great! My feet are pretty sensitive and these boots have been great! They are not cheap, but they are well worth it!

Like the new Danner Pronghorns. Got them before elk season and have a few miles on them now between elk,deer and pig hunting. They seem to hold up much better then the old ones.

• Like 1

I also have the new pronghorns.They are a good boot but for the money the insole is a joke. I had to get aftermarket footbeds to make my feet like them

I used to use Danner Pronghorns... owned three pair but they only lasted about 2 years each. I feel like Danner's quality has slipped in recent years. About a year ago I bought a pair of Kenetrek's and I love them! Like Casey said they seem quite stiff and they do take a little time to get them broke in but they are by far the best boot I have ever worn. I think mine are the Mountain Extreme 400's. They have several different styles.

As far as Danner goes, I really do feel like there's a big difference between those made in the U.S.A and those that aren't (the Pronghorns). I wore the Pronghorns for 4 seasons and went through 3 different pair. They were super comfortable, lightweight and quiet. But they just didn't hold up for me and a few others, I've noticed. Meybe we've got "hillbilly feet"? You generally get what you pay for and if you hunt in the elements and terrain of AZ often (several+++ weeks out of the year), you're probably not going to find a boot under $180 that will last you more than a couple seasons.

Lance on this site has worn Timberland PRO series boots for several years now and as much as that guy spends in boots and in the hills, I've been pretty impressed to say the least. Not to mention he's harder on any piece of hunting equipment that I know of!!!!

I was turned on to the Danner Sierra's (made in the U.S.A, stitch down boot) back in 2008. I just sent them in to get re-crafted after their 4th season. They're normally a $300 boot and the re-crafting is running me $180. In the end, I'm literally getting new boots, minus the leather which will be my old leather (which is being conditioned as well). Debbie in their re-crafting department has been fantastic to work with. I'm excited to get them back.

I also believe the sole makes a huge difference. My buddy purchased the identical boots from Danner, except they came with the "bob sole". I can't remember the model but they were more for upland bird hunting. Pheasant, maybe? But they were on sale for cheap so he bought them. NOT a good sole for AZ!! I also saw his Kenetrek's soles literally fall apart after a few months. Of which Kenetrek said it was "normal wear and tear". Sorry, chunks of your sole and seperation from the boot is UNACCEPTABLE as "normal wear and tear". Maybe he got a lemon, I don't know. But I think his next pair has served him well.

I can only say what has worked for ME (the Sierra's) and what hasn't. I believe the Pronghorns are a fine boot.... depending on how often and where they're worn. But keep in mind they're NOT manufactured here.

Seems like so far the danners and the kenetreks are a favorite but has anyone an opinion on the meidelles? I have seen a couple positive reviews but my dad has the Denali hunters and he says he isn't sure if he would buy them again so idk.

I am very happy with the Meindl Perfekt Hikers. Pricey but very comfortable. I have Plantar Fasciitis and these boots kept me in the hunt all season.

I really like my Danner Lights II

http://www.amazon.com/Danner-Light-II-Outdoor-Brown/dp/B000N99YKA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326235234&sr=8-1

Took awhile to break them in and they gave me fits doing so but once broken in they've been great. Light, breathable, made in USA, replacable Vibram sole. Should be good for another 3 seasons (6 total) before they'll need replaced.

I am very happy with the Meindl Perfekt Hikers.

+1

I have had mine for 4 seasons. They have held up extremely well. I really like the lace cinches, You can tighten the boot to your foot then put it in a wedge type eyelet, then you can strap the boots to your legs. It helps the boots to just fall off when your done wearing them also.