dogman68

hunting with your son/sons

I don't know how to work this computer very well; much has been discussed about lions etc. lately.

On the human side, I would like to say that hunting with your son is the biggest enjoyment that can come to an old guy like myself. I am sure many of you have experienced that and many of you will experience it in the future. Doesn't get much better when your "kid" helps the dogs work out a tough lose on a track, or he can make good judgements on things due to his own expertise.

Or, he makes a good spot on a bedded coues buck. Really makes the days and weeks in the woods even more rewarding and worthwhile than they already were.

Well said Dogman. I have two sons that are still very young but love to go with me to the outdoors. I haven't taken them actually hunting yet but look forward to it. They are good at spotting game when we go scouting and love to watch hunting videos with the old man. I think the hunting exposure is good for them and teaches them real life values and judgements they can't learn in a classroom. Hopefully they won't get addicted to coues deer like me though ;)

Keven

Coming from the standpoint of a son I can say that the experience is just as rewarding. The time spent in the field with my father is time I would not trade for anything. I can only hope to get the oppertunity to share the same moments with my son some day. Special thanks to fathers everywhere.

Noworries I agree totally, the time I spent hunting and fishing with my dad will be with me forever, I just hope to have my kids feel the same way about me someday.

peloncillo, I can't think of anything better than coues to be addicted to.

Father and son hunts are the best. My father is my best huntin buddy and my sons are getting close to being able to hunt. I've taken my oldest on a few hunts already and it has been awesome. I just need to be careful on which hunts I take him on. Don't want him to get too cold or board. I look forward to spending lots of time in the hills with my two boys in the near future ;)

Coming from the standpoint of a son I can say that the experience is just as rewarding. The time spent in the field with my father is time I would not trade for anything. I can only hope to get the oppertunity to share the same moments with my son some day. Special thanks to fathers everywhere.

I would like to second that! I have not been blessed with kids yet but I live to hunt with my dad! It's very sad to see kids that don't have a father to take em out or have one that doesn't take em out! I've been very fortunate to have a dad that sacrificed his own desires in hunting to make sure his kids were there every time, no matter how many deer or elk we spooked off. JIM

Aw now!! That's pretty awesome Dad. It goes both ways for sure! You and I are some of the lucky ones that get to spend about 5 days a week together. I hope my little guy grows up to feel the same way about you and I.

Coming form the standpoint of a son and grandson, I really enjoyed growing up hunting with my dad and also with my grandpa. My grandpa is 80 now and has hardly slowed down; he has more time to spend in the woods and finds more sheds and gets out hunting more often than I do. My dad also says the training he gave me and my brothers when we were young is really paying off now that we can serve as the pack mules on his hunts. I have also really enjoyed hunting with my brothers.

When I have kids, you can bet they will be out in the hills right there with me. My parents started me out before I had learned how to walk, by carrying me along in one of those backpack carriers until I was old enough to walk and then by taking me along without a pack until I was about 6 when i started carrying my own pack with some of my own things along on backpacking trips.

I feel a Hallmark moment coming on! ;)

They should make a card

"DAD,

You took me hunting and were patient

when I made too much noise,

when I talked to loud,

when I stepped in my own pooh and you had to scrape it out of my hunting boot with your skinning knife,

when I peed right by our blind,

when I dropped your rifle out of the truck on the scope,

when I missed the 6pt bull elk 5 times(from 50 yards),

when I left the lion dog tied to the bumper of the truck and remembered when you were going 55 mph,

when I rolled down the hill and you had to go home early to visit the ER with me,

when I was looking at the rack on your 118 in whitetail rack and accidentally let it drop on a rock and broke off the left side,

Dad, those were good times,

Dad I love you! :lol:

Seriously, hunting with my kids is my favorite thing in the whole world, we dont see alot cuz they like to make noise but I would not trade it for the world!!! :D AG

AG

You hit that one dead center. Gotta love it!

I bet a few more actual father son hunting mishaps that would be great on that card could be recalled if we open up the podium!

Anyone who knows me, knows that I would HAVE to jump in on this thread. I can say with total honesty that this past year has been the best hunting year of my life, and I didn't kill a thing!!! ;)

Nothing compares to hunting with your children, and I'm looking forward to many years of hunting with my oldest (below) and his little brother & sister.

S.

PS: Ditto on what everyone said about hunting with their dad to! Mine doesn't get out much anymore, but it is still special to spend time with him when he has the energy.... Lots of good memories there.

:)

My son Erik, with his first deer last fall!

ErikDad-FirstDeer-copy.jpg

His first javelina last month!

ErikDad2006Epig.jpg

HAPPY HUNTERS! Look at all of those smiles folks!!!! :) :) :)

SuccessfulJuniors-Kiabab2005-copy.jpg

File0005.jpg

Gabes first kill

Gabesrabbit.jpg

Tito's first buck

titosfirstbuck2002.jpg

Gabes first dove in the air :)

Gabesfirstdove0031.jpg

Gabes first Buck

Gabrielsfirstdeerhunt018.jpg

Tito's second and third buck

titos2003buck2.jpg

titosbuck2005007.jpg

I can do this all day Tear jerkers!!!!!!!Man how time flys ;)

Great pics Stanley and Tommy! ;) Stanley I have had the same year. I did not fill a tag but had the best hunt season ever with my son Riley. Already praying for some tags for him this year. If not we will have a great time hunting all the non- draw hunts. Hey Stan Thanks!! :) :) Great pics and story on last fall youth hunts. You and the ADA helped in making a very special deer hunt for Riley! :)

azyoung