I got a fish hook stuck in my finger once B) .

Scott, the things you'll go through to get a sponge bath from a pretty gal.

Here's a picture of my wrist after my tree harness failed last August. I leaned back on the lineman type harness and fell 25 feet when the latch failed. The wrist doesn't work too well these days, but I can still shoot my bow. What else matters?

bowsniper

post-426-1143581185.jpg

Man, reading your stories makes me realize how lucky I've been! I don't have any bad accident stories but have had alot of close calls! Two come to mind, one was when a client and I approached his first bull elk, I asked him to unload his gun because the excitement level was high and I knew he was gonna start getting crazy hugging and dancing around (understandably, it was a 380" bull). When he attempted to open the action he realized the safety was on keeping him from opening the bolt. His finger was on the trigger as the barrel swung towards me and he flipped the safety off! I think I had about 3 feet of distance between my face and a flying .300 Win mag bullet. 3 feet is no different than 2 inches in that scenario, I was seriously startled and he was almost in tears it scared him so bad. His thumb was tore open from the safety knob recoiling back from the shot but that very easily could have been my last day! Another close call was in Dec. several years ago with my brother who had a late Coues tag and I was hunting with my bow. We were sitting on a little rock outcropping on the edge of a canyon and I was blowing a varmint call in a "fawn in distress" manner. It was mid-day and was trying to see if anything would move. Three WT does came running up to us, growling, blowing and extremely pissed. I can attest to the fact that deer can growl! They wanted to kick somebody's butt! They were to my right looking around for whoever had the fawn when they saw me move, luckily there was a sheer drop-off on that side and probably 10 feet high because they were trying to climb up the cliff and slipping back down. I knew we were in trouble because we had nowhere to go except straight off into the prickly pears and these deer meant business. My brother didn't know the seriousness of the situation and was laughing his butt off because I was screaming at the deer and swinging at them. I hit one deer on the head with a rock and another with my fist, the whole time sitting on the edge of the cliff they were trying to get up. As soon as I jumped up yelling at them they stepped back, still growling like dogs and blowing and finally just stiff legged walked off. My brother was sitting to my left and could only see their heads bobbing up and down by my side and me swinging at them, he still cracks up to this day about it, but I was truely scared. I have called in alot of deer since then, doing the same thing, and they usually come in with similar enthusiasm and emotion, but nothing like that day. JIM

Pins and needles oh my....

All of these just make me want to say ouch, I wish I would have kept my x-rays from my elbow, 2 pins and a cable, but my story isn't nearly as interesting as the ones you guys have, I broke mine running from a dog when I was 13. I didn't tell my parents ( I was staying at my uncles ) and three days later my arm was as big as my thigh, my parents were pissed until the doctor said I could lose my arm.

You guys have some great stories, simply because you guys all survived some terrible circumstances.

Those are some amazing stories, I have only had one close call. I was hunting for whitetails in unit 21 walking(climbing) down a steep canyon when I lost all footing and started tumbling down the hill. My brand new AR34 bow went ahead off me and just as a skidded to a stop I looked down to see my bow fall forty feet off a sheer drop. I had stopped mere feet from doing the same. Other that scraps and bruises I was no worse for wear. My bow on the other hand was dead It hit the ground and literally went into 40 pieces, I never did find the cam to it.

Daniel

Scott... i dont know if i cant hunt with you ever agian! lol twoguns OUCH!!!!

my worst was probably when i was about 14. cut the top of my thumb straigh down to where the knife couldnt go anyfarther because it was in my fingernail. couldnt load my gun for a good 3 weeks. also put a pretty good cut in my California howdy finger trying to hand tighten a broad head. ther than that, just smalls cuts and such from falls. i almost rolled down the mountain when i was packing out my lion, but other than that i have been lucky.

forgot to mention,. did witness a bad fall. dad and i were walking along and all of a sudden he goes down ( its flat ground) and THROWS his gun wearing a brand new leupold 4.5-14x40 LR with B&C reticle ( NOT a cheap scope) he was fine but he managed to put a nice size ding in the scope!!!!! after we laughes our @$$3@@ off (well, mostly me) he killed a buck about 20 mins later. but man is it a nice scar on that gun! neither of us were happy.

Well I've also been pretty lucky, bunch of twisted ankles etc.. but nothing bad. Funny about the fish hook, as soon as I saw that post I remember my first time fly-fishing, my arm went a little horizontal and the hook on the fly caught my buddy in the ear as I jerked it forward. :) tore out the bottom portion of his ear, we haven't talked much since. :)

Man there are some really amazing stories that everyone has told. I myself have been fortunate enough to only suffer a few twisted ankles, although I do know of a few fishing accidents. One of them was during the summer when I went with a family friend that had never really went fishing. He had quit fishing and was messing with the catfish and at one point he some how stepped on one that I had thrown on shore and the sharp fin bone went completely through his big toe and was sticking out about an inch. Looked pretty painful and took quite a bit of pulling to get it out. I also had a few buddies that were fishin with some waterdogs and one of them caught the ear of the other guy when he went to cast. It ripped part of his ear but fortunately it was able to be stiched up.

Doug, you're killing me!! :lol: :lol:

I to, tangled with a fish hook once. I was spending the summer in Lakeside with a buddie's family in their cabin when I was somewhere around 10 years old or so. I ended-up wearing a good sized Mepps spinner as an earing for a few of hours until the doctor could dig it out. Screamed like a little girl!!! :lol: :blink:

S.

:D

desertsheep, that's some fancy hardware bud! It almost looks like the doc left some extra parts in there!

As long as were on fish hook accidents... I was about 8 years old, and I was casting my bamboo pole with a big hook and worm on it. It caught on something behind me and I heard my sister scream. I turned around to see the hook stuck in her eye lid and the worm squirming in eye. I wasn't too worried about her eye, but I was pretty worried about my butt!