Sign in to follow this  
Scooter

A bunch of bad news

Well, I wish I had better news to report- but I don't so here goes:

For the past three weeks I've been going out with my homemade caller and having a run of bad luck. I've called in 4 dogs in 11 stands since new years weekend but unfortunately I have nothing but memories to show for it. One time we had two dogs coming in from right to left at a little more than 100 yards only to have them vanish for awhile. They came around our setup and I ended up spotting them about 15 yards away after they'd snuck in behind us. By the time the guns were up, they were gone! Awesome encounter, but no reward. Then a week or so later another one came in through some high grass and I didn't get a clear shot so I passed and waited for him to circle back- didn't happen. Then yesterday, one came in after 40 minutes- I spotted it about 150 yards away and it was looking straight at me- probably saw me moving the rifle... As he turned to run back into the brush I let a shot go and whiffed just over his back striking the tree behind him. So yeah- mixed bag of success and failure this month. Success building an e-caller and mixing mp3 sounds... failure at putting one on the ground.

As if that wasn't bad enough... Last night I went out to my garage freezer to grab a chicken pot-pie, and found out that the outlet in my garage had failed. Hadn't been operating for a few days so I lost everything in there- to include the beautiful bobcat I shot last fall and was waiting until the taxidermist had room in his shop to take it... I am so heartbroken about that. I don't use that freezer every day, so it had been 2-3 days since I last opened/checked it to grab something. Game meat, fresh caught rainbows, frozen foods, and the bobcat all room temperature with blood at the bottom of the freezer bags completely ruined. Not to mention a slight aroma inside the freezer that is still airing out...

So, things HAVE to start looking up for me right??? Yeah, they will- my wife and I are due this week to have our first child- so we're playing the waiting game!!!

Thanks bonecollector! no news yet- kinda dragging on now. I wish this baby would hurry up!!! I wanna be able to go hunting more than a half hour away from the house...

That sucks man. The same thing happened to ma not even a month ago and I lost all the deer meat I had in there from my coues I just took in September.sad.gif It was my first coues too. On a positive note I just put some meat back in there from my Archery Javelina hunt. Hang in there bud, It'll get better. Congrats on the little oneohmy.gif.

Well, I wish I had better news to report- but I don't so here goes:

For the past three weeks I've been going out with my homemade caller and having a run of bad luck. I've called in 4 dogs in 11 stands since new years weekend but unfortunately I have nothing but memories to show for it. One time we had two dogs coming in from right to left at a little more than 100 yards only to have them vanish for awhile. They came around our setup and I ended up spotting them about 15 yards away after they'd snuck in behind us. By the time the guns were up, they were gone! Awesome encounter, but no reward. Then a week or so later another one came in through some high grass and I didn't get a clear shot so I passed and waited for him to circle back- didn't happen. Then yesterday, one came in after 40 minutes- I spotted it about 150 yards away and it was looking straight at me- probably saw me moving the rifle... As he turned to run back into the brush I let a shot go and whiffed just over his back striking the tree behind him. So yeah- mixed bag of success and failure this month. Success building an e-caller and mixing mp3 sounds... failure at putting one on the ground.

As if that wasn't bad enough... Last night I went out to my garage freezer to grab a chicken pot-pie, and found out that the outlet in my garage had failed. Hadn't been operating for a few days so I lost everything in there- to include the beautiful bobcat I shot last fall and was waiting until the taxidermist had room in his shop to take it... I am so heartbroken about that. I don't use that freezer every day, so it had been 2-3 days since I last opened/checked it to grab something. Game meat, fresh caught rainbows, frozen foods, and the bobcat all room temperature with blood at the bottom of the freezer bags completely ruined. Not to mention a slight aroma inside the freezer that is still airing out...

So, things HAVE to start looking up for me right??? Yeah, they will- my wife and I are due this week to have our first child- so we're playing the waiting game!!!

That's something I always worry about happening. Here's something to think about. A friend of mine had his meat stolen and his homeowners insurance paid him $5.00 a lb for his elk he lost. This was back in the 80's and $5.00 was alot back then. Maybe your homeowners would do the same.

Here's wishing all goes well with moma and your new born. :)

TJ

That's something I always worry about happening. Here's something to think about. A friend of mine had his meat stolen and his homeowners insurance paid him $5.00 a lb for his elk he lost. This was back in the 80's and $5.00 was alot back then. Maybe your homeowners would do the same.

Here's wishing all goes well with moma and your new born. :)

TJ

just another thought - most home owners have a $500 or $1000 deductable now days - plus more than 1-2 claims they will probably drop you -

so unless its a major issue home owners may not a real good choice

luckily our freezer is in pantry/washroom inside the house. I heard of so many in hotter garages and such gong bad - wonder if the heat/temps in closed garage causes some ofthe problems.

bummer on lossin hides and meat in freezer .

hope things turn for the best - nothing like a new member of the family to change things around.

Sorry to hear about the meat! There are a couple of companies that offer insurance for mechanical breakdown. The deductible would not apply and it does not affect your rate until the third claim. Just wanted to give you a heads up. Congrats on the baby on the way!

that sucks man, i had one go out with lots of my personal hides that i hadnt gotten time to mount yet since i was so busy with cutomer stuff....

NOW my freezers have an alarm on them, for not very much money you can get a DEVISE to put in you freezer that will beep if your freezer goes out, WELL worth the investment, everyone should have them on there freezers to protect your meat and or hides or what ever.

There is a warning for all of us here in this freezer disaster. Is the outlet your freezer is plugged into GFCI protected?

These outlets trip at the slightest provocation. This is great if you are using a powertool and get shocked but is inappropriate for a deep freeze. Check your outlets guys! The outlets in a garage in a newer home are GFCIs, outside outlets are also.

GFCI is how my freezer died. Guys painting the house blew the GFCI and didn't tell my wife. I was out of town for work. Lost 1/2 a deer and a bushell of hatch Green Chile! Found different outlets in the garage not on the GFCI circuit. Never make that mistake again.

Thanks for posting, you have inspired me to buy an alarm for my freezer.

Thanks for posting, you have inspired me to buy an alarm for my freezer.

Im an electrical contractor and by code all outlets in a garage have to be gfci unless you have a dedicated circuit installed for a piece of equipment such as a freezer. Check out my website www.acostaelectric.com

We had bought about $400 worth of frozen vegetables, beef, pork and chicken on sale in Round Valley just before the Wallow Fire began, and the power company turned off the electricity to Greer immediately after we were evacuated.

We returned three weeks later to find a stinking mess -- at least 100 pounds of stuff rotting in three inches of bloody water in the bottom of the freezer.! Even so, we were thankful that the fire spared our cabin.

We were not the only cabin owners to lose everything in their freezers. After we were allowed to return, there was a long line of cars for three days at the dumpster the fire department provided for dumping spoiled foods. The amazing thing to me was that although it could be smelled from a mile away downwind, I found no bear tracks around it.

Bill Quimby