Sign in to follow this  
tomgobbler

3 pigs down

got up about 2:00 a.m. finished loading the truck, got my two boys up ( 11 and 7 ) and picked my brother up at 3:00 a.m. to make the three hour drive top our hunting spot by about daylight.... we go to one of my spots with no luck, so head to my "sure fire" spot, but that is another hour out in the hills, down a rough road... we get there and start glassing, and glassing , and glassing... my 7 year old is getting a little impatient, because he wants to see some action... ( yea dad did too) so he climbes some rocks, and sneakes some snackes...and playes in rocks and plays around a little.... anyway about 3:30 that afternoon, my buddy says i've got pigs.... and i'm like no way we have glasses that same stupid hill side for 5 hours straight... it is a huge bowl, with lots of little canyons and draws and you could litterely spend all day in the same spot... ( which is about what we did) anyway they must of been on the back side and finally had worked up to the top, becasue they were in a sadlle about 1000 yards away....

so my buddy and my 7 year old stay behind to watch the show, and me and my brother and my son make a plan of attack ( thinking mainley of the wind) and we bail off our side of the canyon, and down the side and up the other side.... when we top out of the ridge we SHOULD be able to shoot across the draw that they are on. well we fianlly make it over there, and them things are SCATTERED ALL over the hill side, hard to keep from getting busted..... My brother says i will stay right here ( about 250 yards away) were he could really see the facing hill side through the brush, he had a good vantage point... he said i will wait for the first shot, and then i'll take one. ( trying to get my 11 year old a shot first ) so he gets all set and waits.... and waits... and waits..... i take my 11 year old up the hill, i wanted to get a little closer for him if i could.... well the brush was thick and the grass was talll..... and the pigs werent holding real still..... and he could'nt get them in the scope for very long before he would loose them,.... ( can you hear the frustration in my voice :) ) if you have ever tried getting a kid opn stuff you will sympothise :) anyway after pointing out a dozen pigs to him, and trying to get him steady, and the steepness of the hill he was trying to sit on, it just wasnt working very will.... anyway we fianlly got to about 50 yards with half a clear shot at a nice sized boar.... ( my brother and my buddy were like what in the heck is taking so long :) ) so i tell him to make his shot count becasue me and shawn are going to open up after he shoots.... so he squeezes the trigger and all heck breakes loose !

i was so close to the running pigs, becasue i had worked my son into them, that my scoped rifle was having a heck of a time, with the brush... i hear shawns rifle speak out and he yells PIG DOWN!.... so i look up to try and find one that might have run across the draw so i could pick it out at a couple hundred yards, when 4 of them, come FLYING past me and my son at about 3-5 FEET, one and then another and then another... i said to heck with this and i followed the 3rd or 4th one FROM THE HIP, and shot it through the heart at 3 feet or so, it NOSE DIVED littlerly at our feet.... trace (my son) was like WOW dad that was cool... and i said yea it was! so anyway we had 3 pigs down! after what seemed like forever trying to get my son on one... so 50 yards, 4 feet and about 250 yards, in about a 30-60 second period.... ALL 3 were BOARS so that was really cool, and my son had to brag that HIS was the BIGGEST.....

tommy

post-2728-0-34435300-1330183407_thumb.jpg

post-2728-0-93316000-1330183424_thumb.jpg

post-2728-0-41226500-1330183523_thumb.jpg

Great writeup and pictures as well. That had to be some exciting fun for all. Thanks for posting. :)

TJ