Sign in to follow this  
NRS

SCI youth hunt in Texas

Just got back from the trip to Texas that the Safari Club members from Tucson sponsored for youth who have already passed their hunter education class but had not taken any big game animals. The trip was arranged by Scott Kendrix ( Kilimajaro ) who also served as mentor, guide and taxidermist-in-residence. He was assisted by Bobby and Michael Boido, Shane Standley, Chuck Rosier and Brian Groseclose. We left Tucson at 7:30 Wednesday night for the 12 hour drive, arriving at our destination near Mertzon, TX. We had the use of a ranch and hunting lodge for the duration of our stay, along with the ability to hunt another smaller property about 20 minutes away.

post-1967-0-40688200-1330490565_thumb.jpg

After unloading and having some lunch after going over the ground rules for the hunts, since we would be hunting out of blinds near feeders, which was something new for all the kids to learn about. There were a number of exotic species on the properties as well and the native whitetail, turkeys and feral hogs. The parents and guides all made sure that the kids only took one of the species that was available which was Iranian Red sheep, Axis deer, Sika deer, fallow deer and hogs, and not one of the we could not shoot like blackbuck, whitetail and turkey.

Thursday afternoon and Friday were very windy and the animals were not cooperative, with only 1 young lady taking a red sheep on Friday. Everybody was seeing plenty of animals, but mostly the ones that could not be shot or they were standing in thick cover not offering a shot. Saturday morning was my son Kolin's turn at the distant property, where some whitetail and black buck came in 10 minutes after the truck dropped us off. We did not see anything until the truck came to pick us up, but on the drive out we came across a small group of red sheep with a shooter ewe running with 4 rams. We maneuvered ahead of them and set up, where Kolin made a perfect shot through the ribs at 150 yards, harvesting his first big game animal.

post-1967-0-81982100-1330490623_thumb.jpg

post-1967-0-68481400-1330490644_thumb.jpg

After lunch and time running short, the guides stepped up the game and managed to harvest three more animals with the kids, including a Sika deer and a Scimitar horned oryx for one lucky young lady.

The kids who came were my son Kolin Tersey, Andy Behrens ,Ryan Ballis, Josh, Trey Trejo, Ryan Lara, Sawyer Groseclose,and Monique Montano. Thanks to the very hard work of Scott Kendrix, four people got their first big game.

post-1967-0-76495400-1330490667_thumb.jpg

Andy and Monique were with my son when he got his sheep, and Monique later took an Oryx. All of the kids that harvested a trophy did it with one shot each.

way to go!

thanks for posting this - looks like a very good time was had by all those able to participate!!

Congratulations to all those successful youth hunters- A job well done and an experience they will never forget!

Darrel,

Tell Kolin congrats on the successful hunt.

Thanks to AZ SCI folks for working hard at recruiting the next generation of hunters.

cmc

Way to go Kolin and the other kids! and many thanks to AZSCI for hosting a hunt like this! I think it's a great way to excite kids about hunting!

As a side note, AZSCI is hosting a Junior Jack Kamp down in southern AZ for kids to small game hunt. I heard the event is already filled and it's always a great time!

VERY awesome Darrell! Congrats on a great time!

Also; BIG kudos to Bobby, Michael, Scott (and anyone else who contributed time/support)! I know that Bob and Michael have always done plenty to help the kids on the youth hunts in AZ (I've shared many camp fires with those two, and they are the real deal when it comes to volunteering!, and it's awesome to see all supporting this great endevor by SCI! Great job, Scott and all!

S.

:)

Darrell and Kolin,

It was a pleasure to share a camp with you two!! Two weekends in a row !! The hunt was tough but fun, it sure is a good learning tool for the young hunters.Thanks for all the kind words from the rest of the coues family !!

If you have a kid who has not shot a big game animal and want to go with us to Texas, let us know soon.

8 spots fill up quick, with 1 spot already taken !! All you need to do is join SCI and the Arizona chapter !!

Thanks,

Bobby

Congratulations to Kolin on his first big game animal. This is an awesome show of support, from the AZ SCI to host this towards the next generation of hunters. Thanks Scotty, Bobby, and everyone else who was involved in this hunt.

Darrell, thanks for sharing the story and pictures. :)

TJ

Guys little Monique is the cutest little hunter you will ever meet. She is a future hunter for sure. :D