aintnopilgrim

The AZ One Shot Challenge

I dont know why you all think i exagerate on my shots. It is not hard when using my new RED RIDER BB GUN :blink:

Putting your shots into a the 8- to 10-inch vitals of a deer at 400-500 yards can be done regularly and ethically with modern rifles with crisp triggers, high-power quality rifle scopes, rangefinders, bipods and trajectory charts.

Years ago I competed regularly in the silueta metalica shooting matches in Nogales and Hermosillo, Sonora, and we shot OFFHAND without slings or shooting aids at 200, 300, 400 and 500 meters (not yards). I used a different scope for each range, so it wasn't bullet drop that gave me problems, it was the wind drift at the longer ranges.

Although long shots are entirely possible, I have not heard folks on this forum bragging about making them, either.

Bill Quimby

:blink:

first off, "ethics" ain't nothin' but somebodies opinion. ethical=legal. if a guy want's to blast away or make precision shots, it's up to him. i don't care. they're the one puttin' in the time in the field. whover this joker is, he's just tryin' to get folks riled. as for me, i'll shoot as far as i want, as many times as i want, with whatever gun i want, with whatever bullet i want, at whaever i want, and don't give a dang who says different. in hunting conditions, i'm the best shot i know. if i miss, i miss. if i hit one and have to track it down, i track it down. whatever it takes. i never don't shoot, because i'm afraid some dude will think i'm unethical. heck, ever peta creep out there thinks any shot ya take is unethical and any time ya kill somethin' is unethical. don't talke ethics. ya can't legislate em. i hafta turn my head and shudder at some of the stuff i see folks do, but i ain't gonna judge anyone who is hunting legally. well o' course, except them bait sitters. that just ain't right :blink:. Lark.

desertsheep. i spent along time preparing for that long shot. i have practiced many times and thought it was with in my range so i took it. yes, i got lucky and made a lethal shot!

now, on to the comment. there are many people here who can hit a gong or whatever at 400-500 yards ( heck i probably could as long as its not something alive lol!) with the new technology and ballistics programs and scope targt turrets, in all honesty with the right equipment and knowledge its not too terribly hard to be able to do this. but be ethical and pick shots wisely.

Ok so I typed this out to fast and made a critical error. If you miss the vitals you loose your equipment.

Reading the responses was more fun than I thought it would be. So many people get defensive over their choices to behave as they see fit. As I said before the average hunter has no business sooting at those distances.

How many hunters of the thousands that go as often as they can get drawn have spent the time and money to be shooting well enough to take animals cleanly at long range? I once again say agian few! :blink: :(

As for all you experts. :lol: I never said that nobody should shoot that far but I venture to guess that not many of you would risk all your time and money for the one shot challenge I proposed. I wouldn't and I do have the equipment and the skill to back it up.

My main point was that you should be careful what you adovcate because most people aren't very good at realizing their limitations. All you have to do is go to a gun range in October and casually observe the average guy, listen to his stories, look at his equipment and see his groups to know what I'm talking about.

Whoever suggested I might carry the target, I'd be pretty comfortable doing that, knowing what I know about most hunters and their true abilities.

hey pilgrimboy, i'll take ya up on that "you carry the target deal". there are some of us that really, really can shoot. and you can run as fast as you want. i get to pick the canyon. and i won't pack yer carcass out. you'll hafta make them arrangements. :blink: Lark.

Whoever suggested I might carry the target, I'd be pretty comfortable doing that, knowing what I know about most hunters and their true abilities.

You would be in deep trouble with some of the members of this site :blink:

The only way he's safe if Lark is shooting is if there is a big old cornflinger close by.

"I wouldn't and I do have the equipment and the skill to back it up."

Sounds like you're "advocating" long shots. According to your previous assumptions on people from this site you've incriminated yourself.

Are you saying you have the skill but choose not to use it in the field........... for ethical reasons?

if lark carries his .270 he might be ok, but by golly you put another rifle in his hands and he might not shoot that well!!!

i have a custom rifle that Todd Bettin sells for $3,500 (kinda expensive) topped with a leupold 4.5-14x40 varmint reticle, i am pretty sure i could make the shot on my bipod. that is, as long as its not an actuall deer, i cant hit deer to save my life!

I recall reading several years ago about a competition at the NRA Whittington Center where shooters/hunters went through a course through the mountains, and had to locate and shoot at various targets at varying yardages. The event is timed, so there is a hurry-up factor to get through the course and with shooting. Sounded like fun, but I do not know if it is still held or what it was called.

Long range shooting seems to be a contentious and argumentative topic. Every shooter has various abilities and limits based upon practice and experience. What range limits one person has or has seen others exhibit cannot be blanketed upon all other hunters/shooters.

The same applies to archery, as one 3D shoot will show shooters with a wide range of skills. Just because one hunter can't hit a target at 25 yards does not mean that all archers should be limited to 20 or less.

We each owe it to ourselves, the game we pursue and the community for each of us to determine our individual effective range under field conditions and the excitement of the moment. And stick with it, even if massive antlers want you to mentally stretch the shot into hail mary zones.

We have a duty to politely counsel our friends who we know who took unethical LR shots at game beyong their effective range, just as we should take the keys away and counsel our friends who may want to drive after a couple toddies. Arrogant or puffed-out chest talk closes a lot of minds.

My two pennies on this topic.

RR

first off, "ethics" ain't nothin' but somebodies opinion.  ethical=legal.  if a guy want's to blast away or make precision shots, it's up to him.  i don't care.  they're the one puttin' in the time in the field.  whover this joker is, he's just tryin' to get folks riled.  as for me, i'll shoot as far as i want, as many times as i want, with whatever gun i want, with whatever bullet i want, at whaever i want, and don't give a dang who says different.  in hunting conditions, i'm the best shot i know.  if i miss, i miss.  if i hit one and have to track it down, i track it down.  whatever it takes.  i never don't shoot, because i'm afraid some dude will think i'm unethical.  heck, ever peta creep out there thinks any shot ya take is unethical and any time ya kill somethin' is unethical.  don't talke ethics.  ya can't legislate em.  i hafta turn my head and shudder at some of the stuff i see folks do, but i ain't gonna judge anyone who is hunting legally.  well o' course, except them bait sitters.  that just ain't right  :blink:.  Lark.

In not so colorfull language I agree with Lark. :lol:

For me personally what dictates ethics is not what kind of shot is taken, but what is done after the shot is taken. Do you check and make sure you missed (if you think you did) or if you did hit the animal do you really spend the next 4 days looking for your wounded animal, or do you just say, oops another one got away, too bad. No matter how close you are, or how good of a shot you are, mistakes and miscues may happen, I'll never judge someone for making a poor shot, but I will if they don't spend the time to make it right.

my .02

Houston