Sign in to follow this  
COOSEFAN

Stackin' Up Stink Pigs!

Alright, I first gotta say that my ranches in Mexico are LOADED with Javalina and my friends and their family members along with their friends LOVE Javalina meat! The meat we got from all the Javi's we killed was very appreciated and every last bit was utilized. I did get tired of packin and cleaning them stinky critters, but we had a blast hunting them in the down times!

On One hunt with my Pops and friends of ours we all whacked pigs on the last day of their hunt and it just topped off a very memorable and great hunt in Mexico!

Mexico2012DMG3_2997_edited-2.jpg

On another hunt, with no hunters in camp at the time I grabbed the gun and went hunting for myself. It was a beautiful day, overcast with off and on sprinkles. The cowboys at the ranch asked me to shoot a pig for them if I saw one and I gladly said I would if I found some! I hadn't driven more than 1/4 mile from the house when pigs ran across the road! I got out, loaded the 7mm and stood in front of my truck. The sides of the road were thick with tall grass and no visibility so I started calling with my mouth. Sounding like a sick squealing piglet I did my best and right after I started 2 big pigs jumped on the road hauling butt right at me! I held steady on the left pig and just as he cut to the left broadside I dumped him just off the side of the road. I jacked in another round as I swung the rifle to the pig cutting to the right of me and as he blew through a clear lane I let him have it with a lucky shot rolling em over in mid stride! It was some seriously fun stuff and one of the reasons why a pig huntin' fool such as myself loves Mexico!

I had to bust out the tripod to get pics of these beauties!

2012MexicoPigsyCoyotes_5834_edited-1.jpg

Next up was my buddy Santos. While our Mule deer client was out high rackin we went out hoping to find a nice Coues buck to get him on. With no big bucks found that day we turned our attention to a huge herd of Javi's feeding on a hillside. Santos had never killed a pig and he was excited as I set the rifle up for him! I got my .300WM with the Loc Jaw and Rifle Railz attachment set up on the tripod. We ranged the herd at 235 yards and I sat next to Santos with my fingers in my ears. He picked out the biggest one and BOOM...WHOP, the pig folded in his tracks! I pulled out my fingers and said "whoo hoooo ya got em'" BOOOM...WHOP!!! I didn't realize he was shooting again and it blew my ears out! I yelled "dangit, alright you got a second one..BOOOOM..WHOP!!! He whacked another one and was ready to go for a 4th as I grabbed his arm and said "NO MAS"!!!! Santos had ear plugs in and couldn't hear me, he was just whackin n' stackin! I did not feel like gutting and skinning more than 1 pig but now we had 3! Santos said he would do all the work and had friends that would be excited for the meat so it was all good! Here's my buddy Santos and his first kill...and his 2nd..and 3rd! :P :lol:

2012MexicoPigsyCoyotes_5788_edited-1.jpg

2012MexicoPigsyCoyotes_5795_edited-1.jpg

Lastly, you would think I had enough of whackin' pigs by the time I got home from Mexico....NOPE! I had a HAM tag burning a hole in my pocket and even tho I was extremely busy catching up I was able to find a 1/2 day to hunt! I grabbed my bow and ran up to my unit. I had a tight schedule, needing to be home by 1:00, I needed to find, kill and get a pig in the truck by 11:30! I didn't find the pigs at the first spot so i took off running up and over the mountain. I settled in overlooking a huge canyon thinking that Murphy's Law is gonna put a herd on the other side of this nasty canyon....SURE ENOUGH, THERE THEY ARE! I looked at the watch and figured if I hauled butt over there I could make it happen so off I went. In no time I was across and standing in the path of the herd. The sun was at my back and the wind at my side and the pigs were feeding right at me. I noticed all the lead pigs were small and my target pig was in the rear lagging behind. I eventually had 4 pigs within 15 yards of me. The sun kept them from seeing me standing against a cedar and I even drew back and let up several times on the big pig which hadn't gotten closer than 50 yards. Each time I drew back I let up thinking he would get closer. Finally the lead pig, now at probably 7-8 yards, started bristling up and high steppin'! I figured that was my only chance so I drew and basically let the arrow fly without settling the pin because I thought he was gonna run any second. That arrow went high and all the pigs blew out of there! I ran up to a clearing and started squealing and whoofing. After a couple minutes 3 pigs started walking and whoofing towards me. Once the lead pig stepped in front of my pre-ranged bush at 35 yards I stuck an arrow in em' and watched him tip over! It's one of the smallest pigs I've ever killed but I'll take it, especially because of the nasty canyon I needed to climb out of! I threw em in the pack and eventually started my truck at exactly 11:30! A great day pig hunting!

Don't laugh, I know he's small, but it takes more skill to hit the smaller ones right?? A pig is a pig! :P

20120221_5870_edited-1.jpg

Thanks if you read through the whole post! JIM>

That's exactly what I told my son not to do......so we both shot big ones and had to pack em uphill for a mile to the quad. Big Mistake lol....Congrats on all your success!

Dang Jim, whackin and stackin is right! I'm jealous, I would love to go pile up some pigs like that!

Very cool, especially that monster trophy and the end of your write up... hahahaha

Thanks all!

I think the Javi's on our ranches south of the border are an untapped resource for sure! We get tons of tags for them and several clients have taken some home with them. I'm not sure if anyone would want to do just a Javi hunt in Mexico, but they make for a great bonus to a deer hunt!

Nice job by all, Santos was getting it done! :lol: Nice write up and pics

Yeah, Santos was hammering em' like a blood thirsty sniper! Having my .300wm locked down on a tripod with the Loc Jaw adaptor is a deadly combo! We shot pigs with single shots out to 698 yards and my dads coues with a single shot at 646 yards last month with that set up! I'm not sure if helping Santos get his first taste of blood was a good thing, I think I created a monster!

Looks like you guys don't mess around when it comes to stink pigs!

Great stories and awesomr pics Jim.

Jim, those who know me know I love pig hunting more than anything else because that's my wife and I's favorite eatin. Sounds crazy but we love it. Your story and pictures were the highlight of my reading today. I haven't told many people but I shot one smaller than your little guy by mistake. I can't imagine the fun you guys are having down south of the border. I'm jealous as he!!. Thanks Jim for sharing. Your post are always some of the best on cwt. :)

TJ

Jim, I tried to send you a pm but your box is full. I was just wondering what your gun setup was. I've never been a fan of long range shooting but I'm slowly leaning towards that way. That scope looks awesome. Thanks! :)

TJ