Sign in to follow this  
COOSEFAN

Shed hunting with the kids!

Howdy folks, here's some pics from our last trip last week.

With cabin fever settin in pretty bad, I threw the kids in the truck and headed north!

We went to an area that holds some big bulls and had high hopes. The weather was great, there were plenty of bulls in the area, and best of all there weren't too many boot prints or quad tracks yet. I did see a 320" class bull still packin' so that made me realize that there wasn't a bunch of bone on the ground yet.

Drake and Harley (my kids) were having a blast and I'm sure had no clue what we were looking for or why we were walking in circles! By the middle of the first day they were beat and we only had a busted up white to show for our effort!

ShedHunting2012_6014_edited-1.jpg

By this time we had 5 or 6 miles on us but as long as I took a break every now and then the pups were good to go! I also later found out that in this same spot we had walked around 2 big browns and a big hard white that a friend picked up the following day! :(

ShedHunting2012_6012_edited-1.jpg

Finally on the last day and with almost 18 miles hiked we found what we were after!

ShedHunting2012_5984_edited-1.jpg

ShedHunting2012_5993_edited-1.jpg

ShedHunting2012_5998_edited-1.jpg

Harley isn't a ham for the camera like Drake is, but after she got worn out I was finally able to get a pic of her alone with our prize!

Shed2.jpg

It was tough huntin but it was a great time with the pups and thankfully we came home with something at least! Thanks, JIM>

Man finding out you walked passed horns is the worst.. Nice horn though!

Awesome shed Jim and great pictures, it's always good getting out and even better finding some bone. It can be some long miles though when its slow going.....still can't beat being in the hills with that chance of finding that toad of a set!

Drake sure is one dang fine looking black lab! Hes gotta be getting up there, but I dont see any gray yet>!

Good job Jimmy.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. I was able to do about 5 miles on Thursday but didn't find any. My goal is to find one nice brown 6 point this year since I haven't found hardly anything in the last few years. I guess I need to hike about 20 miles or so to get the job done!

Drake sure is one dang fine looking black lab! Hes gotta be getting up there, but I dont see any gray yet>!

Good job Jimmy.

Thanks Casey, Yep, no gray muzzle yet, thankfully! I worry about the day when I lose him, it'll be horribly rough on me, he's my boy!

Trust me, I understand that! My mutt ive had since college is getting up there, starting to show some gray hairs but is still as good as can be!

Thanks for sharing the trip Jim.

Like the slight palmation on the top end of that shed.

Nice lookin' dogs.

VERY NICE Jim!!! and What a beautiful dogs you have! There is no elk where I live but......I will go out to see if a can find Jackalope sheds lots of them around here.

Ernesto C :)