Sign in to follow this  
1azbowhunter

Best tripod

IMHO, the best tripod out there is no longer made. Velbon Chaser series. I am as tall as you, and can use it in just about any seated position, but not standing. But its great, light enough to be easy to carry yet stable enough in the winds.

Depending on budget I am a big fan of the Manfrotto 055CXPROB. These are carbon fiber legs that are very sturdy and will fit your height. This will hit the pocket book around 320.00.

If this is too much you can go to the aluminum model 055X but at a cost of weight. Good luck!

You might do a search in Adorama to see what is available and in what material and for what price. Consider the height of the tripod with the center column not extended, for less vibration of the optics. If you are looking to stand behind the tripod, selection is limited and prices are higher.

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=itemlist&cat1=Tripods&cat2=Tripod%20Legs%20%26%20Leg/Head%20Combos&cat3=Tripod%20Legs%20for%20Still%20%26%20Video

Velbon still makes the Chaser series tripods, they just changed the name to "sherpa" series, the 600 R, is about the tallest set of legs in that series, they advertise that the 600ra goes to 64.0" that is with a PH-157Q head.If you were to use a pistol grip head of some type you would be good to stand behind the tripod when necessary. Amanda sell the Velbon legs right here on her site.

take care all

Jim White

I don't know your budget but I love my Outdoorsman's. you can buy the tall and if you still need more get the center post extention.

I don't know your budget but I love my Outdoorsman's. you can buy the tall and if you still need more get the center post extention.

+1 I have the Outdoorsmans as well. With the pan attachment and pistol grip it is plenty tall for me while standing.

Please do not suggest the outdoorsmans to anyone!!

Slik carbon fiber is around 220 and i mount my 15's and can glass while standing. I am 6"1. You might have to Squat down a bit to glass standing. The tripod is hard to beat. I had a manfrotto i got rid of to buy this one. I do not suggest vortex or nikon or manfrotto for the most part.

I have the Cabela's carbon fiber, it's not the tall one and I cannot stand and glass, I could if it was the tall one, I'm 6'2". I have the Outdoorsman pistol grip, panning and quick release attached. Came as a package deal with the glass, I would have bought the tall one. It is worth your time to check it out.

Slik carbon fiber is around 220 and i mount my 15's and can glass while standing. I am 6"1. You might have to Squat down a bit to glass standing. The tripod is hard to beat. I had a manfrotto i got rid of to buy this one. I do not suggest vortex or nikon or manfrotto for the most part.

That may be your opinion but all I can say is I have used mine for 3 years and love it!

I have a slik compact, Benro carbon, a bogen, and this year I tried a bog-pod and it works pretty well. I like the idea of changing it to a rifle rest or other attachment in just a few seconds. They make them in 3 sizes and it seems pretty solid.

Also, I really like the CF tripod but they seem to transmit a little more of the vibrations than the aluminum ones do. Always seems to be some trade off.

The only reason for not getting an Outdoorsman would be the price, other than that IMO they are the best.

+1 I have the Outdoorsmans as well. With the pan attachment and pistol grip it is plenty tall for me while standing.

I have the same configuration (Jim White panning attachment + Outdoorsmans pistol grip) except mine is in the medium tripod size. I love it. It's light, packs small, adjusts to some odd positions, has nifty rubber feet that grip rocks well. I rarely need to glass while standing so the lack of that capability doesn't bother me, especially in light of the portability.

Plus, it's not just made in the good ol' U.S. of A, it's made right here in Arizona! And they're a CWT.com sponsor to boot! Sure, they're spendy, but so are [insert high-end bino brand here].

Ultimately, it's an individual choice. The bright side is that the cheapest tripod is better than no tripod. Let us know what you end up with.

If weight is a concern, the Outdoorsmans are nice. They're a bit noisy, and the light weight means it's not as stable. If weight isn't a concern, I like the old Bogens. Very steady, and bullet proof. Both brands have versions to glass standing up. I carry a Bogen most of the time, an outdoorsman if I am backpacking. If money isn't a concern, the Swaro tripod is a good balance of both worlds (weight and steady), but they are pricey.

If you purchased the Slick PRO634CF (weighs 2.05 lbs, 63.1" tall and cost around $255.00), added soft rubber feet (that promote vibration), a .95 lbs cow bell (for more noise) and paid an additional $335.00 dollars; you would have a tripod that competes nicely with the Outdoorsman Tripod.

That being said all of the other Outdoorsman equipment that I've tried works great. If your interested in a pistol grip, give theirs a shot along with their quick adapter.