Sign in to follow this  
BML

Pet Pig Video

So I pull up to a customer's house this morning to do a delivery and there's a herd of pigs in his driveway. Not really all that uncommon for the Sedona area, but this was very different! These pigs would not leave when I pulled up and I quickly realized they were eating dog food he was feeding them. I took some pictures and then this video. Then the craziest thing happened. This old man walks out the front door of his house to get his package and starts calling them by name! They walked right up to him and let him pet each one! He and I started talking and tells me he's been feeding them for years. They all had names and unique personalities, according to him. The big sow at the end of the video was the most docile. She stood right at his feet the whole time we were talking. I got back in my van to leave and couldn't believe I had just had a 10 minute conversation with a guy while 12 javelina stood there only 3 feet from us both.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v301/BML/?action=view&current=VIDEO0001.mp4

In Prescott, near the Groom Creek firehouse, there was a man who had a pet javelina that ruffed up to him like a dog, let him pet him AND slept in the house with him! Was crazy!

Illegal but cool. If I were him I know what unit I'd be putting in for.

Not illegal in Yavapai or Coconino Counties. Feeding wildlife is only illegal in Maricopa and Pima Counties.

Now, if they could claim that he was keeping them as actual "pets" that would be a different story...but that would be hard to prove seeing as it doesn't look like he's keeping them "captive" in any way.

I thought feeding wildlife was a Arizona state game law, not just county to county?

It's a petty offense in the state-wide criminal code, but by its terms it only applies in counties with more than 280,000 people...which is only Maricopa and Pima. It's a common way to draft laws that they don't want to affect rural areas. It also excludes baiting done in the pursuit of hunting.

Here's the text:

13-2927. Unlawful feeding of wildlife; classification

A. A person commits unlawful feeding of wildlife by intentionally, knowingly or recklessly feeding, attracting or otherwise enticing wildlife into an area, except for:

1. Persons lawfully taking or holding wildlife pursuant to title 17 or pursuant to rules or orders of the Arizona game and fish commission.

2. Public employees or authorized agents acting within the scope of their authority for public safety or for wildlife management purposes.

3. Normal agricultural or livestock operational practices.

4. Tree squirrels or birds.

B. This section applies in a county with a population of more than two hundred eighty thousand persons.

C. Unlawful feeding of wildlife is a petty offense.

Interesting for sure. I thought it was illegal as well. They certainly were not captive in any way so I guess this old guy has nothing to worry about. Well...except maybe losing some fingers when those pigs get really hungry! haha