Sign in to follow this  
105Coues

Long range accuracy from fixed blade heads???

Its been so long since I have had an elk tag that the whole archery world of broadheads has changed. How bout some suggestions.

BTW before it is asked, i like to practice and get proficient much farther than I intend to shoot at animals so the shots I take seem like chip shots and the confidence level is at its peak. B)

Its been so long since I have had an elk tag that the whole archery world of broadheads has changed. How bout some suggestions.

BTW before it is asked, i like to practice and get proficient much farther than I intend to shoot at animals so the shots I take seem like chip shots and the confidence level is at its peak. B)

4 blade wack ems or 4 blade slick tricks kill elk and fly great. I like to paper tune my bow first with field points, then put on the broadheads and see what happens. They may group a little different than your field points, but paper tuning it first dramatically reduces that.

If you want alot of opinions you need to define "long shot". Then the fun will begin. :lol:

Tell us what your specs are. Bow poundage, arrows ect. The most important thing is having arrows that are spined for your bow. If your arrows are weak spined, you will have a hard time tuning fixed heads. Alot of forward of center will also make tuning fixed heads easier.

Fixed broadheads suck. Shoot rage or the g5 tekans they both make awesome entry and exit wounds. Plus they are extremely accurate and will normally shoot the same as your field points.

The best flying broadhead at long range (130+) I have shot is the rocket ultimate steel 3blade fixed head. All you need to do is paper tune your bow and they should shoot right with your field tips but you still need to check them I shoot them at 310 to 320fps. I have had them shoot a little high out past 100 but just a little tweak with the sight will fix it. I have shot javalina all the way up to huge bodied bulls with pass throughs on all of them

Fixed broadheads suck. Shoot rage or the g5 tekans they both make awesome entry and exit wounds. Plus they are extremely accurate and will normally shoot the same as your field points.

Not to start a Pi$$ing match but that has to be one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard. The only time Fixed heads "suck" is if 1. The bow is not properly tuned or 2. The shooter has form issues. Whenever I tune my bow, after paper, walk back etc.. I shoot a fixed, mechanical (usually either rage, or T3 ) and a field point. I'm not happy until they all shoot together. Once a bow is tuned, almost any head mechanical or fixed will shoot great.

I like G5 striker, montec or Wac em and now I am shooting the VPA's they are awesome.

Not to start a Pi$$ing match but that has to be one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard. The only time Fixed heads "suck" is if 1. The bow is not properly tuned or 2. The shooter has form issues. Whenever I tune my bow, after paper, walk back etc.. I shoot a fixed, mechanical (usually either rage, or T3 ) and a field point. I'm not happy until they all shoot together. Once a bow is tuned, almost any head mechanical or fixed will shoot great.

I like G5 striker, montec or Wac em and now I am shooting the VPA's they are awesome.

I would love to see someone shoot accurate groups at 80 yards with a fix blade as accurately as i can do with a mechanical. Fix blades take a lot more effort and time to tune to your bow. I personally have my bow paper tuned as well and it helps but they still doesn't compare to the mechanical broadheads.

But thats also my opinion. You know just as well as i do, that if you ask 10 different archers one question about something you will get 10 different answers.

I have to agree with lugnuts. Wac'em and the slick trick mags are both great broadheads!

That bieng said the shwackers are great bh as well but they are mechanicals. If your ever in the market for some mechanicals check them out. I have yet to shoot an animal with them but they fly awesome and I like the design of them.

not to steal a post but has anyone shot or heard about the Muzzy phantoms? hows the penetration on animals? shoot straight? hard time tuning them in? keep the edge or dull quickly? hows the diameter? i have heard great things about the phantoms and also being fixed blades, im very interested in them and buying some for Sept. thanks

Hey Azhunter, ill take your 80 yard challenge. To reply to the op, the slick tricks are a great strong broadhead, also you should look at the shuttle t, wacem or the g5 striker, they have all shot great for me.

I would love to see someone shoot accurate groups at 80 yards with a fix blade as accurately as i can do with a mechanical. Fix blades take a lot more effort and time to tune to your bow. I personally have my bow paper tuned as well and it helps but they still doesn't compare to the mechanical broadheads.

But thats also my opinion. You know just as well as i do, that if you ask 10 different archers one question about something you will get 10 different answers.

Thanks for not taking my post as an attack, as it wasn't meant to be, and I agree everyone will have an opinion.

Here is mine: I love to shoot broadheads, I shoot them all year around, I like to try and shoot as many brands, styles as I can. I have shot many, many broadheads and agree that mechanicals can be less sensitive to form. BUT for all of MY hunting applications, the difference between my mechanicals and fixed are negligible, out to my max hunting range. Shooting a fixed has two major advantages though. 1. (I like numbering my thoughts) When using a fixed head there is no premature deployment (quiver, or hitting branch or spider clip fail, or rubber band failure etc...) 2. When I practice with my fixed COC, VPA's I then can touch up the edge and hunt with them without having to take them off my arrow to change out blades or to take off the practice tip and re-screw in the hunting bh.

Once my solid BH is spin tested, shot then I hunt with my practice tip WITH ABSOLUTELY NO ADJUSTMENTS TO THE ARROW/BROADHEAD except to resharpen and of course that is done without taking it off the arrow.

Once thing I believe in is to shoot what you are comfortable with have confidence in, this archery game is mostly mental.

One more thing, hitting an elk in the vitals at 60 yards is relativly easy, compared to hitting a coues deer. With an elk I would rather give up a minimal amount of accuracy to have a tougher, fixed head. again my opinion.