Sign in to follow this  
coueser4

Glass Bedding My Rifle

I just picked up a Savage 116 .270 and just got a new laminate thumb hole stock for it. I am loving it!! But I am seriously wanting to get it glass bedded. I am hoping some of you can help me find someone that can do a quality job for me without hurting my wallet. Anyone on here or any good quality gunsmiths in the mesa/phoenix area that can do this? Thanks in advance!

Glass bedding is a great way to get better accuracy out of your rifle and can easily be done by the do-it-yourselfer. I was nervous for the first rifle I did but it is pretty easy. There are some good videos on youtube to see how it is done. You can get a kit from a place like Sportsmans Warehouse or online at Brownells that come with everything needed and instructions. I would recommend starting small with just the recoil lug. This is the most important area and starting with just the recoil lug will help you get a feel for it. Then you can move on to other areas if you wish but I bet you will see better accuracy after just bedding the recoil lug and floating the barrel.

Give it a go yourself! Lot's of YouTube instruction or Brownell's and Midway have how to videos. You can always clean it back out with a dremel tool. If not Van Horn is in Mesa, or Bruno's up in N. Phx (there are a lot of others), just know a gunsmith is going to take at least week in my experience maybe longer depending on what projects they have going so ask when you give them a call.

Thanks for the replys! I have considered to do it my self and feel pretty handy and that I could do it but I was hoping someone would know who can do it for a good price that I would feel more comfortable paying someone vs. the risk of doing it myself. Weighing the options..

I bought a Choate varmint stock for my savage and is better the have your stock glass bed it, check it out is as much as doing the work.

this is what it looks like, you'll be very happy with the accuracy.

Savage-12FVSS.jpg

Make sure to keep the tang floated on that savage. Do not bed any farther back than the trigger guard. Savages shoot best with the tang and barrel floated. You do not want to bed the entire action length like a Remington. Just trying to save you some greif if you decide to do it yourself.

Good topic. I looked up pillar, glass bedding, and floating rifle barrels on youtube and have seen enough to get me interested in trying it. I have an old 22 mag rifle that I will try it on before I try it on my other rifles.

Is there any reason why the savage is better to not have the tang bedded?

Also I don't have pillars for pillar bedding the stock. Will just the glass bedding do the trick?

Any specific YouTube videos that you recommend as the best method of doing it?

I don't have direct access to a vise and clamps that I see used in some of the videos so I'm still open to hearing about anyone out there that will do it for a good price?

Thanks for all the input!

I dont know if he does bedding work, but I would be willing to bet he does. He installed and tuned a Timney in my .257 wby for literally HALF of what all other gunsmiths wanted...

He is known as the Gun Dr. and is located here in Casa Grande.

http://www.dexknows.com/business_profiles/the_gun_doctor-b735729

You can do a credible job yourself if you spend some time watching videos. Above all take your time and be methodical about each and every step. Marine Tex is a great bedding compound and is somewhat easier to work with than some of the other expoxy resins. (I believe Bruno's carries this product) Also you can use an aluminum arrow shaft to make your own pillars. There is no magic to the pillars once the bedding compound has cured. You can trim the arrow shaft pieces with an arrow cutter or any other cutting tool that will allow you to hold the shaft steady and square for the entire cut.

Go for it and good luck.

Drill out the action screw holes with a 3/8" drill and use aluminum arrow shafts as your pillars. Mark the shafts where you need to cut and then file flush with the stock so that it fits evenly. The rear pillar will need to be grooved to allow the trigger mechanism to have proper clearance and function properly. There is lots of help and knowledge over on the Savage shooters forum.

Good info Stomp!

Don't use an arrow. One of the purposes of a pillar is to create a solid platform that won't compress between your action and bottom metal. The goal is to get a consistent torque that doesn't change as much with the conditions. Go to midwayusa or brownells and order your pillars from them, they should have adjustable ones that should be very easy to use.

Also, as mentioned above marine tex is a very good bedding compound as well as devcon steel putty.

Devcon also makes a Stainless Putty and a Titanium Putty that will not rust if you will hunt in moist environments. A little more $, but worth it for an inclement weather rifle.