Sign in to follow this  
Younghunter

What Muzzleloader?

My brother just drew a muzzy goat tag, and we were wondering what is the best muzzleloader to get with a 500 dollar budget. Thank you, Wesley

I bought a Traditions Vortek Ultralight for 450 bucks from Gander mountain two years ago for my 35 muzzle loader hunt. Free shipping and no taxes. All you got to do is show the UPS guy your ID that you’re over 18 and it’s yours. I shot my muley at 190 yards with a double lung pass through, went thirty yards and dropped. My buddy also used that gun last year and got a coues at 225 yards with it. Easy to clean and fun to shoot. I would recommend it.

IMO, Knight built some of the best inline muzzle-loaders ever. Unfortunately, they are out of business now so you can only buy them used. They used a good trigger and Green Mountain barrells. If you can pick one up used, I highly recommend them. Shot a coues last year at around 250 yards with a Knight and it was like shooting a center fire.

The long range hunter by knight is awesome right out of the box , but it is a little over your budget...

IMO, the Knight Long Range Hunter is at the top of its class. I've seen this gun shoot groups at 350-450 yards that would compare with a lot of center-fire rifles. Good to see that they are still being made. I've got the Knight Long Rang Hunter with the Luepold Ultimate Slam scope. With practice, that combination is very effective.

• Like 1

I have lots of muzzleloaders, but really like the Thompson Center Omega 50 caliber for the price. I have matched it with the Shockey Leopold Ultimate Slam scope and you are good to go for up to 300 yards.... Have already taken four antelope in 19A, and seven Mule Deer in the 35's, and several elk with this combination, and it has worked like a charm.

Thompson center Triumph. I love mine.. More accurate than I am and is easy to clean. I have around 600$ into mine with a scope on it. I love the Break action for puting the primers in.

Thank you all for your imput. I will check all of your suggestions and let you know which one we go with. Thanks again, Wesley

I'm with Rombo on this one. I love my TC Omega 50 Cal. I have mine topped with the Nikon Omega BDC 300. Shot my Antelope 2 years ago at 192 yards. Ran 20 yards and dropped!

Love the gun! Plus tons of pigs with it as well. Good luck in your decision making.

+2 for the TC Omega. A lot of bang for the buck! Very easy to use and clean! Accurate!

Are there any muzzleloaders that do not need a tool to pull out the primer? Thanks again, Wesley

I shoot the Knight Disc Extreme and you pre load the primers into plastic jackets. Then you just drop them in and close the bolt. When closing the bolt the plastic jacket creates a water tight seal so you don’t have to worry about rain or water only from down the barrel. Then after firing just open the bolt and the jacket and spent primer falls out, no pulling or special tool required.

95% of modern muzzleloaders do not need a tool to take out the primer. I would say 99% of the muzzleloaders made in the last 3 years do not need a tool.

I recommend a Thompson Center muzzleloading gatling gun for your brother . This way he can keep shooting till he gets a near hit and scares the buck away!!!!!!