Sign in to follow this  
sjvcon

Laser Rangefinder

I currently have a Nikon 800 yard model. Was thinking to upgrade and get something with newer tech. Can't justify cost for Leica/Swaro class device. Is the Vortex 1000 yarder a significant enough upgrade for me to pass the Nikon down to my boy? Anyone have one? Thoughts?

The Vortex new is about $500 and you can get a used Leica or Swaro for 600-700. I would check eBay, this site and others and try and eek out a Swaro or Leica otherwise I think you will wish you waited. If you compare them side by side the glass and the working distances are quite different. I have the Nikon, an ARC 1000, and a Swaro my buddy has 2 different Leica's, now I can barely stand to use the ARC anymore and have not looked through the Nikon in years.

my $0.02

I currently have a Nikon 800 yard model. Was thinking to upgrade and get something with newer tech. Can't justify cost for Leica/Swaro class device. Is the Vortex 1000 yarder a significant enough upgrade for me to pass the Nikon down to my boy? Anyone have one? Thoughts?

I'm planning to do the same thing. The Vortex looks to be a good upgrade just based on the clarity and ergonomics. My Nikon 800 is pretty big compared to the newer style, and I've been using it for years so the clarity is only OK. Haven't looked through the Vortex, but so far the reviews have been very good for its price point ($379 MSPR).

The Leupold 1000i TBR is another consideration. I have the RX II model, which I don't like much. The optics are poor and I get intermittent ranging results. I've been kinda disipointed with Leupold in the range finder market, but I think they made big improvements with this newest model. It's small like the Vortex, and has the red LCD redout, and the optics are much better. My biggest concern is being able to get a reliable range on a deer at around 500 yards, no matter the weather/lighting. have to rely on reviews for that, and there isn't many reviews yet on either one.

The Vortex new is about $500 and you can get a used Leica or Swaro for 600-700. I would check eBay, this site and others and try and eek out a Swaro or Leica otherwise I think you will wish you waited. If you compare them side by side the glass and the working distances are quite different. I have the Nikon, an ARC 1000, and a Swaro my buddy has 2 different Leica's, now I can barely stand to use the ARC anymore and have not looked through the Nikon in years.

my $0.02

You can get a new Leica 1600 for $649 at camera land NY . Best price I found and no tax or shipping.

Do your self a huge favor and wait untill you can afford the Leica 1600 or 1000. I have the 1600 and love it. I can range anything out past 1500 and usually get to 1800 witn no problem. For the price you can not go wrong. Wait untill you can buy the best!

my $0.02

You can get a new Leica 1600 for $649 at camera land NY . Best price I found and no tax or shipping.

I don't believe this one has the "angle compensation" built in. You have to buy the 1600-B to get that, for $800.

You should be able to get by without if you have a smart phone or an ACI on your rifle. The inclonometer in and Android or iPhone work amazingly well, quick, and are easy to read. If you are using a ballsitic program in your phone it will even make the changes to your eleveation in the outpur for you.

That is not to say it would not be great to have in your LRF or binos!

my $0.02

I don't believe this one has the "angle compensation" built in. You have to buy the 1600-B to get that, for $800.

The regular 1600 does read angles.

It isn't that I can't afford the Leicas or Swaros ... its that I can't justify spending that much to my WIFE. Also, I can get the Vortex for $399 at Bass Pro and have about $375 in gift cards, so it costs me about $45-50 cash. Hence why I am asking if they are decent and whether it would be a decent upgrade.

So given that ... thoughts? Or should I just buy the Leicas and let my wife bash on me a bit???

Buy the Leica. You will not regret it. I think I left mine on the hill last December and I've hated myself since!

I would agree with Casey the Leica (if your going to buy the new 1000/1600) comes in second to the G7.

Buy the Leica. Use the gift card to buy your wife some hunting clothes and take her out to dinner:) You might regret buying the Vortex later on, but I guarantee you will never regret buying the Leica. My wife used to get really upset when I would buy really high end equipment. Then she saw how often friends of mine were buying replacement equipment for there low end stuff. Thats when she realized, you only have to buy the equipment once as long as it's Quality Equipment. You only have to buy the best once! If your not sure about the Leica's, you are welcome to borrow mine to try them out.

Adam

Dang, you guys have me all confused now! I was dead set on doing the exact same thing sjvcon was asking about. Now I'm second guessing it.

my $0.02

The regular 1600 does read angles.

I agree, it gives you the angle, along with atmospheric data,....but does it give you the compensated distance. That's what I want to see in the readout. I don't want to mess with another device for the calculated distance. You may have time for that, setting up for a long rifle shot, but not practicle for archery hunting. I don't want to buy two range finders.

The Vortex Ranger 1000, Nikon Rifle Hunter 1000, or Leupold 1000i TBR will no doubt be much improved options over the Leupold RX-II I currently have, but will still have some issues on game at 500+ yards. May be good enough for my shooting range, which is less than 500 yrds.

However, I think if I had $375 in gift cards, I'd be real tempted to go for the Leica.......it sure gets complicated.