Sign in to follow this  
218buck

scope for a1000 yard gun

Here is the next scope i am getting. It has the ED glass, which is substantially brighter than the regular glass. I am going to order the custom turrets for it also. David

http://www.nikonspor...r-w%2F-Dot.html

If you plan on shooting over 700 yards I would look closer at a 75+ MOA adjustment. This nikon reads as follows: Max Internal Adjustment 20 MOA

Thats not alot. I have a vortex viper 4-12x40 and it has 54 or so MOA and I can't get out past 600 yards so I upgraded to the PST 4-16x50 EBR-1 MOA that has 75 MOA adjustment and put a 20 MOA base with Nightforce rings so maybe I can get past 800 now. My .308 requires 20.50 MOA at 700 yards and when you mount the scope you will use some MOA (i used about 30) just to sight it in to a 100 to 200 yard zero leaving only around 17 or 18 MOA for me to adjust.

Look at the MOA adjustment if you are wanting long range that will make or break you desicion.

Here is the next scope i am getting. It has the ED glass, which is substantially brighter than the regular glass. I am going to order the custom turrets for it also. David

http://www.nikonspor...r-w%2F-Dot.html

If you plan on shooting over 700 yards I would look closer at a 75+ MOA adjustment. This nikon reads as follows: Max Internal Adjustment 20 MOA

Thats not alot. I have a vortex viper 4-12x40 and it has 54 or so MOA and I can't get out past 600 yards so I upgraded to the PST 4-16x50 EBR-1 MOA that has 75 MOA adjustment and put a 20 MOA base with Nightforce rings so maybe I can get past 800 now. My .308 requires 20.50 MOA at 700 yards and when you mount the scope you will use some MOA (i used about 30) just to sight it in to a 100 to 200 yard zero leaving only around 17 or 18 MOA for me to adjust.

Look at the MOA adjustment if you are wanting long range that will make or break you desicion.

This is a novice questions but you brought up a good point- Can you just buy different Turrets which can give you 75+ MOA or is this something that is built into the scope itself?

If the scope only turns 20 MOA thats all you can get. Like NIGHTFORCE I believe those scopes have around 115 MOA which is WAY out there. The Regular Viper at around 50 MOA is good but I would only plan on around 500 to 600 yards if you want to reach further then pay CLOSE attention to the MOA adjustment that comes with the scope after that then do your planning and get turrets and they will put the max range on them. NO, turrets do not matter, it matters of what the internal can adjust too. No matter what scope you get it will have a max out MOA example Nightforce 115 MOA depending on caliber you will have a turret made and it will be able to get around 1500 yards or more on a 50 MOA scope (like Vortex Viper NO PST and NO HS scope only lower line Viper) will get you around 500 to 800 depending on base, height of scope, caliber and so on. I would not go with the Nikon I looked through their line of scopes and the adjustments are not that good. Check out Vortex, Nightforce, US OPTICS, Zeiss, Leupold they all have scopes that can get good MOA adjustments.

Also I have had LOTS and LOTS of different scope and a big problem is if you adjust to 500 or so and then back to 0 (which is 100 yards for my gun) it should be dead on. My Vortex does exactly that and all the other high end scopes will too. I have had Nikons and when I have turned them back down to 0 they were off some by inches others heck have missed the target. I TRUST vortex thats why I just bought the PST. If I had the money I would have went with Nightforce, Do your homework ask google LOTS of questions and find out what is right for you. Even though my gun is set up for 600+ yards always remember that conditions and practice can make the shot but like me I WILL get closer and would never shot past 500 yards on game unless I am 120% certain I will hit where I aim.

Great info, I appreciate you sharing this. I have been looking into the Vortex PST myself but it'll take me more time before I can afford one.

Thanks

It probably does nighthawk. Any scope with an adjustment over 75 MOA will be a 800 yard gun of course the more adjustment the further you can go.

From what I have heard about SOME leupold scopes if you site it in at full power 100 yards and then adjust to lets say 6 power your point of impact changes too. Now don't quote me on this I have a Mark 4 1.5-5x20 and it does not do this at all but from all the guys I have talked to are the lower line scopes. This is from what I have heard from numerous different people.

I have to dail appx 12 MOA to get to 700 yards with a 7 mag and 162 grain AMAX at 3,100 FPS. That is with a 200 yard zero.

It probably does nighthawk. Any scope with an adjustment over 75 MOA will be a 800 yard gun of course the more adjustment the further you can go.

From what I have heard about SOME leupold scopes if you site it in at full power 100 yards and then adjust to lets say 6 power your point of impact changes too. Now don't quote me on this I have a Mark 4 1.5-5x20 and it does not do this at all but from all the guys I have talked to are the lower line scopes. This is from what I have heard from numerous different people.

All 2nd focal plane (SFP) scopes change POI when change from the magnification they are sighted in at. This happens because the reticle is in a position where it does not change but the magnification does. If you have a 1st focal plane (FFP) scope then the POI will not change but you will see the reticle get very fine at low mag settings and thicker at high settings. FFP scopes will cost more than SFP scopes from the same mfg but more and more mfg's are ading FFP scopes to their line ups.

Will hunt the scope you reference probably does not have enough magnification range to make the POI noticeable different until you get out to some longer ranges. At 100-200yds you would probably not notice much change.

I have both styles and all in mil-dot reticle types but if I was just starting I would try and use FFP & MOA scopes. It is much easier to talk to your buddies in MOA or IPHY than in mils unless they are ex-military or in a trade that uses milliradians so the increase in expense is justified.

Be sure to look through a Zeiss Victory at some point. The 6-24x56 is quite nice. You might be able to find a decent price on a used or demo scope. The guys at http://www.cameralandny.com/ have some pretty good deals fairly frequently.

post-7261-0-28429600-1345230100_thumb.gif

I was curious bout same thing cause I sight in at 20x. I called leupold and the guy swears it will stay the same at all powers threw turret and all. I have only shoot at 20x unless varmit calling . For ex if I had buck at 200, still shoot 20x just pic witch hair I want to shoot lol

All 2nd focal plane (SFP) scopes change POI when change from the magnification they are sighted in at. This happens because the reticle is in a position where it does not change but the magnification does. If you have a 1st focal plane (FFP) scope then the POI will not change but you will see the reticle get very fine at low mag settings and thicker at high settings. FFP scopes will cost more than SFP scopes from the same mfg but more and more mfg's are ading FFP scopes to their line ups.

Will hunt the scope you reference probably does not have enough magnification range to make the POI noticeable different until you get out to some longer ranges. At 100-200yds you would probably not notice much change.

I have both styles and all in mil-dot reticle types but if I was just starting I would try and use FFP & MOA scopes. It is much easier to talk to your buddies in MOA or IPHY than in mils unless they are ex-military or in a trade that uses milliradians so the increase in expense is justified.

Thats funny my vortex does not change and its second focal, my Leupold mark 4 also second focal doesn't change either. I believe it is only some second focal scopes. Now my early Nikons I had did but not my Nikon coyote special.

I plan on waiting for the Vortex HS XLR FFP which will come out this fall. I also plan to top it off with a 20 MOA one piece rail between the 2 1000+ yards will be very easy to accomplish. I have looked at the nightforce and would love to have one but money is tight and the Vortex model will do everything that 1000+ gun can do. They are around 850.00 which is about half the price of the Nightforce. Take your time and if you would like to see the Nightforce scopes in person our local gun shop (Desert Eagle Guns) have all models in stock. Good luck.

Have you got this yet? I got a Mueller 8-32x44 that is good but I need to get a 20 MOA base. I am thinking of starting over with new rings, base, the whole thing. I think this Vortex would be a good one for my Savage 10 FCP-K in 308. Not for hunting but long range shooting.