Sign in to follow this  
218buck

scope for a1000 yard gun

I plan on waiting for the Vortex HS XLR FFP which will come out this fall. I also plan to top it off with a 20 MOA one piece rail between the 2 1000+ yards will be very easy to accomplish. I have looked at the nightforce and would love to have one but money is tight and the Vortex model will do everything that 1000+ gun can do. They are around 850.00 which is about half the price of the Nightforce. Take your time and if you would like to see the Nightforce scopes in person our local gun shop (Desert Eagle Guns) have all models in stock. Good luck.

Have you got this yet? I got a Mueller 8-32x44 that is good but I need to get a 20 MOA base. I am thinking of starting over with new rings, base, the whole thing. I think this Vortex would be a good one for my Savage 10 FCP-K in 308. Not for hunting but long range shooting.

No I did not get the HS I picked up the PST instead. I also picked up a Valdada IOR 6-24x56 35mm. Talk about a good scope Valdada is as clear as any of the nightforce or US optics, The PST works FLAWLESSLY too. The have an HS at the 4B Shooting Supply here in Globe. If you are interested let me know asap or else he is going to send it back.

I'm not ready to buy yet but was curious how it was if u got it. Is 4B Shooting Supply new? Havent seen it before while passing through Globe.

+1 for Vortex. I have the razor hd and the pst 6-24x50ffp and love both of them. oh ya, and their warranty

I'm not ready to buy yet but was curious how it was if u got it. Is 4B Shooting Supply new? Havent seen it before while passing through Globe.

Yes they are Fairly new. They opened back in late 2011 i think. They are right across from Volvo Rents in Miami. Right next door to the Welding Supply I manage. Stop by sometime when you are up.

Willhunt4coues can hit a tick on a deers balls at 1000 yards...I seen it.

+ 1 for Viper HS LR .

Has anyone used a Millett long range scope? I was looking at them on Kenton industries website. You can get a 56 mm objective and a 35mm tube with 140 moa with aluminated reticle for 450.00. Would like feed back on these if anyone has used in the past.

I have a 6.5-24x50 Vortex PST on the way from Doug at Camerland.

$699 to the door - awesome service.

Vortex-Viper-PST-Riflescope.jpeg

The only way decide which scope to get is what you have in your budget for one. Buy once and only cry once. For around the 1000$ mark you can get some high end leupold. Above that comes the vortex scopes. For around 1900$ you can step into a nightforce NXS and for the best glass around you start playing with the Schmidt & Bender scopes in the ballpark of (3000$). Good way to start figuring what you want is check them all out. Leupold, huskemaw, vortex, US Optics, nightforce, Schmidt & bender. Every one of these companies make scopes for long range shooting.

Zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50..... Best scope for the money. IMHO will blow any vortex of the water, dollar for dollar.. Long range clarity of the 2 is not really a competition. If you are serious about 1000 yards, be serious about spendng over 1000$ tho.

I very recently shot a bunch of rounds through two new rifles topped off with different scopes.

One rifle has my Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 and the other has a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44.

I was testing and dialing in turrets on these rifles from 200-700 yards. (both rifles chambered for same cartridge)

The temps were in the 60-65 degree range and I spent quite a bit of time adjusting

for parallax and fighting the mirage at different distances with both scopes.

Clarity, the Zeiss wins by a pretty good margin.

Brightness, again goes to the Zeiss, keep in mind the objective is bigger on this scope also.

Eye relief is better on the Zeiss, but it's finickier when at full power trying to get things "centered".

I liked the plex reticle on the Vortex better, it was finer and may be a personal preference, but made fine aiming adjustments easier.

The parallax adjustment is much better on the Vortex. It worked better at more distances and just plain worked.

The "feel" of the turrets while clicking (dialing) was crisper feeling on the Vortex.

Also, the Vortex, with its bigger diameter tube, has more internal adjustment in elevation.

I just thought I would share my findings from hours and hours behind both scopes, side by side.

The Vortex Viper was a great buy and if the newer PST is even better, then that's pretty good glass.

For me, the important things to consider (other than the obvious such as clarity, brightness, etc) in a scope for my long range HUNTING rifle are WEIGHT, and the ability to HOLD ZERO after making numerous adjustments in elevation and windage back and forth.

I've been taking a hard look at the swaro Z5 with the BT, but I don't know how precise it holds zero.

I have a 6.5-24x50 Vortex PST on the way from Doug at Camerland.

$699 to the door - awesome service.

Vortex-Viper-PST-Riflescope.jpeg

Desertbull,

Was that price with the FFP (front focal plane)?

Jeff

No. I didn't want the FFP. I have a range finder, I don't need to range with my scope.

I plan on waiting for the Vortex HS XLR FFP which will come out this fall. I also plan to top it off with a 20 MOA one piece rail between the 2 1000+ yards will be very easy to accomplish. I have looked at the nightforce and would love to have one but money is tight and the Vortex model will do everything that 1000+ gun can do. They are around 850.00 which is about half the price of the Nightforce. Take your time and if you would like to see the Nightforce scopes in person our local gun shop (Desert Eagle Guns) have all models in stock. Good luck.

Have you got this yet? I got a Mueller 8-32x44 that is good but I need to get a 20 MOA base. I am thinking of starting over with new rings, base, the whole thing. I think this Vortex would be a good one for my Savage 10 FCP-K in 308. Not for hunting but long range shooting.

No I did not get the HS I picked up the PST instead. I also picked up a Valdada IOR 6-24x56 35mm. Talk about a good scope Valdada is as clear as any of the nightforce or US optics, The PST works FLAWLESSLY too. The have an HS at the 4B Shooting Supply here in Globe. If you are interested let me know asap or else he is going to send it back.

So you like the IOR?

I was just looking at one and thought wow that looks like a great scope....what reticle do you have... need to top off my new rifle with a scope. I really like my LEU VAR 3 LR but want to keep it on my 300 WSM

http://swfa.com/IOR-6-24x50-Tactical-35mm-Rifle-Scope-P8947.aspx where did you get yours? just wondering if I should wait and buy the NF?