Sign in to follow this  
swaro06

270 elk load

Not that I have had lots of opportunities, but 150 grain Nosler Partitions have worked well for me. The shots were all quite close, though.

I have shot all 4 of my elk with a 270. All but one were with 150 Grand Grand Slams, the other was with Core-Lokt. All of them died (but the GS was definitely more devastating).

I killed 2 bulls with the trophy bonded bear claw. I only used factory ammo, so i went with Federal's high energy load with a 140 gr trophy bonded bear claw. I hit one bull in the shoulder at 120 yards, and the bullet spiral fractured his whole blade and I found the bullet in the opposite side hide. It only lost 6-10 grains I believe. Perfect expansion and delivered every ounce of energy. If you are hand loading, I have started using Barnes TTSX bullets and they are IMO incredible. fly very tru and hit like a ton of bricks.

I'm still tryin to decide for my son to shoot 270 or 300 short mag?????? Have killed a lot of elk with the 270 with 150 grain.....

My .270 LOVES 140 grain Nosler Accubond behind 54 grains of W760 at 3.325" Your rifle will be different. If I was starting from scratch for a .270 elk load I'd look at suggested charges for 140 grain Nosler ABs and Barnes TSX and find out what works in your gun.

We have had awesome success with 130 Accubonds even at extended ranges. I also agree that the 150 partitions are some of the most accurate bullets I have ever shot.

I have shot all 4 of my elk with a 270. All but one were with 150 Grand Grand Slams, the other was with Core-Lokt. All of them died (but the GS was definitely more devastating).

Same here this bullet was awsome 2 elk one at 327 yds one shot kill

I had my mind made up I was going to shoot 130 gr noslers accubonds for deer and elk, but the 130 gr barnes ttx shot better groups out of my tikka. I used close to the max recommended load with H4350. It did the job on last years elk from a couple hundred yards out.