Sign in to follow this  
THE RIFLEMAN

Tecnique - Camera Saturation

Putting cameras up on water holes and leaving them for weeks is inviting theives to steal them No amount of cables,chains or lag bolts will prevent theiverie..If I have to leave cameras out and go to work or other areas then my method to prevent this is to put my cameras out on Sunday as late in the day as possible an then pick them up early as possible on the following Saturday. If I am staying in an area to scout I will try to remove all my cameras from high traffic areas during weekends.

One camera cannot usually monitor an entire waterhole so I put out as many as it takes to cover the entire area... With the smaller cameras like the Covert I have found that a small tripod works great because there just aint allways a tree where you need one. Placed infront of a rock,bush or downed tree the little cameras are virtually invisible... I will also place cameras monitoring the roads/trails leading to the water hole to snag license plate info of potential camera burglers. Putting 4 0r 5 cameras up for 1 or 2 days in the middle of the week will tell me alot more about what critters are visiting a waterhole than one camera will in 2 weeks with less chance of getting stolen!

This is what I have learned from experience I didn't just cook this up. Its been years since I have had a camera stolen and I attribute it to using these methods!

I have to ask, has anyone ever got their camera as back when they have been stolen? A license plate doesn’t mean anything. I highly doubt if you went to their house or had the cops do so off of the plate number (which I doubt the police would do) that they will fess up to taking them.

I just try to put mine in a place that no one will find it, but sometimes that is impossible. Taking it out during weekends is a great idea but not many of us live close enough to be going up every weekend or it can get pretty expensive. I like to bring my climber stand along and put my camera up high in a tree and Angle it down with a rock or something behind it. This way they at least have to work for it by not only cutting the cable but going back and getting their climber to do it as well.

GBA

• Like 1

I got a camera and tree stands back one time. I had been hunting this spring way back in the woods, we were done hunting and I came back a couple days later to find my tree stands and camera gone. I followed the horse tracks back to the ranch house. The cowboy that was working the ranch had taken my camera and my two tree stands. When I questioned him about it he said man I new there was a tracking device in that camera!!! He gave back all my stuff. Just lucky on that one!!!

• Like 1

That's good Becker thieves suck man! You wouldve had to tell that thieving no good worthless cowboy I can come back with my friend Samuel Colt.

I have to ask, has anyone ever got their camera as back when they have been stolen? A license plate doesn’t mean anything. I highly doubt if you went to their house or had the cops do so off of the plate number (which I doubt the police would do) that they will fess up to taking them.

I just try to put mine in a place that no one will find it, but sometimes that is impossible. Taking it out during weekends is a great idea but not many of us live close enough to be going up every weekend or it can get pretty expensive. I like to bring my climber stand along and put my camera up high in a tree and Angle it down with a rock or something behind it. This way they at least have to work for it by not only cutting the cable but going back and getting their climber to do it as well.

GBA

Putting cameras up on water holes and leaving them for weeks is inviting theives to steal them No amount of cables,chains or lag bolts will prevent theiverie..If I have to leave cameras out and go to work or other areas then my method to prevent this is to put my cameras out on Sunday as late in the day as possible an then pick them up early as possible on the following Saturday. If I am staying in an area to scout I will try to remove all my cameras from high traffic areas during weekends.

One camera cannot usually monitor an entire waterhole so I put out as many as it takes to cover the entire area... With the smaller cameras like the Covert I have found that a small tripod works great because there just aint allways a tree where you need one. Placed infront of a rock,bush or downed tree the little cameras are virtually invisible... I will also place cameras monitoring the roads/trails leading to the water hole to snag license plate info of potential camera burglers. Putting 4 0r 5 cameras up for 1 or 2 days in the middle of the week will tell me alot more about what critters are visiting a waterhole than one camera will in 2 weeks with less chance of getting stolen!

This is what I have learned from experience I didn't just cook this up. Its been years since I have had a camera stolen and I attribute it to using these methods!

Yes I used license plate info to get cameras back on 3 ocassions - The last time was hilarious - I followed the guy from his house the weekend after he did the deed , to where he had put my camera up ... Caught him red handed , relieved him of his side arm, looked in the back of his rig and found 27 cameras all differant makes and models about 2/3 of them had differant name and phone # in them.... So we called them all with the a$$ standing there "CRYING" and let them know who took their cameras... One of the victims was a cop and knew the individual and his parents --- We turned the whole mess over to him and he handled it - The theif was just a kiD 19 years old!

• Like 1

That's awesome rifleman! Love it. I'm hoping I never get one stolen, but if I do I know who to call.

Hey rifleman way to be a hero man! 27 cameras that is like a stolen armada of cameras. I have three and feel like that's quite a bit.

Hey rifleman way to be a hero man! 27 cameras that is like a stolen armada of cameras. I have three and feel like that's quite a bit.

Hero is the wrong word I am being sued for kidapping and false imprisonment! (I performed a citizens arrest) The kids parents are $$$$ and have their attourney on my a$$ but good! My lawyer expects to get the case dismissed! The kid is in jail for DUI now and has other legal problems to boot!

Hero is the wrong word I am being sued for kidapping and false imprisonment! (I performed a citizens arrest) The kids parents are $$$$ and have their attourney on my a$$ but good! My lawyer expects to get the case dismissed! The kid is in jail for DUI now and has other legal problems to boot!

Hey man anybody who does the right thing when no ones watching is a hero. I hope it does get dismissed. The kid sounds a POS like the majority of kids these days. 27 cameras thats well over the amount for a felony charge. Sounds like the parents shouldve gave their kid a couple more whips of the belt. I hope it works out the best for you man. The kid probably shoudve got his a%% beat took the cameras mailed them back anonymously to everyone and no need to get the crooked system they call the justice system involved.

good luck with court...!

that's intelligent of his parents to spend $ on a liar instead of spending $ to get their thief some help!

James

So I took my high traffic area cameras down for the week end wariors .. No good bucks just three small ones don't know how to post pcis yet.

No camera's missing and I had 9 cameras on 3 water holes 3 per watere hole.. I put them up Sunday eve and took them down this afternoon.... There were human visitors at one waterhole and they noticed one of the cameras and left it alone! Thanks to who ever that was!!!!