fatfootdoc

broadheads for elk?

I have an elk hunt in NM (2nd hunt 16B), and I am changing broadheads and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a good elk broadhead. I shoot 100 gr heads, I have used mechanicals the last few years but have never really trusted them after arrowing a spike in AZ at 10 yards only to have the broadhead o ring not slide down and I hit it a little high and lost the bull(never found him, ravens, or his bones). The arrow went completely through him and when I picked up the arrow the blades were right where they were when I let the arrow fly. I really do not want to go through that again , so have at it. thanks AG

I've heard a lot of good things about the wack'ems.

I personally use Muzzy 3 blade 100 gr. and love them.

Congrats on an awesome elk tag!!!!

I second the Muzzy 3 blade - 100 grain.

Never failed and 2 elk as a result. Try them, I think you'll be 'sold'.

Good Luck on the NM archery hunt!

AzP&Y

I still shoot the NAP thunder heads..two bull elk, two mule deer, one coues, and numerous pigs without any problems. The only thing is that I have two different settings for my sights (one for field tips and one for broadheads).

I've shot Muzzy 4 blade 90 grain broadheads for years and killed quite a few animals with them. They fly straight and the extra blade sure helps leave a good blood trail.

I also like muzzy. right now I am trying some slick trick's. so far they seem good, and fly like my field points. I need to shoot a 50 or so more arrows to be convinced. as far as mechanicals I have shot sonoran from a fella in tuscon. these have been perfect, I am only changing to fixed blades because my hunting situations have changed, I seem to find myself in the thick stuff more lately.

mark

Here is what I used last year, and had great penetration. My bull only went about forty yards and was dead in about two minutes. I shot this bull on the left side just behind the last rib and it traveled upto the opposite side and stopped in the hide just before the right shoulder. I got the heart and right lung. When the bull started to run, the arrow backed out a little and tore the heart into tiny pieces. The broadhead was still sharp when I pulled it out. David

100 grain four blade.

http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/stingers_main.html

Dsc09601.jpg

I have killed bulls with bear razorheads, vortexes, and fixed blade broadheads. All have their goods and bads. Expandables may fail to open and sometimes deflect on steep angling shots. The best penetration I ever achieved on an elk was with a 125 grain mini max broadhead by vortex. The arrow entered the right ham and exited through the left front shoulder. Just one of those shots that everything went perfect. I have been shooting 100 grain four blade glue on muzzy's four about ten years now on a 16/64 Beman shaft and have had great arrow flight. Exactly the same as my field points. The last bull I killed at thirty yards the 1 inch muzzy broke through the top of the shoulder, about ten inches from the line of his back, penetrated the center of a vertabrae and dropped him on impact. I was very impressed. One problem, they don't make the 100 grain glue on anymore. Been shooting rocket ultimate steel 125 grain fixed blades. Stout broadhead, good flight.

Rocket Ultimate Steel... Super tough, thick blades, very sharp, great accuracy (should nearly identicle to field points) and shoot great downrange (50+).......

I don't think you can go wrong with Muzzy or Thunderheads. Both of these heads have been around for a while and have proven themselves. Muzzy just recently came out with a short ferruled 100 grain 4-blade called the MX4. I have not shot it yet but I'm sure it will be a great competitor in the new age short ferruled heads. A few years ago I shot the 100 grain Slick Tricks and they were devestating. The only problem was that two of them broke right at the base of the ferrul on animals. On both of them I never hit any major bones and both animals were smaller framed(Deer-Antelope). However, they did fly exactly like my field tips. Most of the short ferruled heads will do this or be very close to field tips. I think the new MX4 Muzzy will be a fantastic head for three reasons easy tuning, being 4-bladed and durability.

thanks for all the input, was out of town and had no computer access. Guess I will log on to cabelas and order me some new broadheads!AG

does the "grainage"....mean a higher cutting diameter...so the larger the grain the larger the diameter?

does the "grainage"....mean a higher cutting diameter...so the larger the grain the larger the diameter?

Not exactly, "grains" are the weight. A heavier grain head CAN have a bigger cutting diameter because it's bigger, BUT you can get a smaller, lighter grain head with a huge cutting diameter as well. I second everyones thoughts on the Thunderhead and Muzzy heads, they are very dependable and I have killed alot of critters with both. I killed my last bull with the 3 blade 100gr. G5 Montec. I had a quartering towards me shot at 35 yrds and threaded him along his shoulder, through ribs and it stuck out his opposite hip, great penetration and durability that is second to none! They fly great for me, a little more expensive though. Good luck, JIM>

I have experimenting with the ultimate steel 100 lately, and they seem to fly pretty good they are kinda small 7/8 but I think they will be good.I will let ya know come sept.