Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector

.270 factory ammo

I'm still new to the .270 caliber last year I was shooting the Hornady 140gr SST's. I am looking at the federal 110gr Barnes tipped triple shock rd. any experience with them? Is it too small for coues or just right? 500 yds is max for me. Thanks for any input.

Hey Bone Collector I shot the XP3's winchester ammo through my .270 and they are BA. They have a ballistic tip and a boat tail and a high BC.

Try the federal premium with the 140 accubond.

My 270 is the only rifle I do not reload for (I dont shoot it often), but I dont reload for it because there is no way I could better the factory load! I have shot sevral (probably 5 or more) groups that I could cover with a dime at 100 yards with that load. And the Accubond is a GREAT bullet at that speed!

• Like 1

Don't know much about factory ammo, truth be told any one of the bullets mentioned would take a deer, I have been playing with the Barnes130 grain TSX in my .270, very accurate. This is a 10 shot group off the bench with a pretty good left to right wind at the Globe-Miami Gun Club.

post-6503-0-37710200-1343664822_thumb.jpg

I did some testing on the Hornady 130gr SST's. They seemed to group really well and after running them through a chrono they were pushing 3186fps. They came in very close to Hornady's claim of 3200fps. Took these rounds out to 800yds without any trouble.

Hornady ammo has always worked well for me and is usually what I use to test a new purchase if I don't have reloading dies yet. My .300 win mag would shoot .5 MOA with their 180 Grain heavy mag load.

Seems like Hornady 130's shot about 1 MOA for 5 shots in my .270 when I first got it, which is pretty good for that rifle. I'd certainly give Hornady a try.

I stick to 130s myself for Coues. I use 130 Hornadys over a max charge of RL22. I think the 110s will have greater wind drift at longer ranges, but I've never actually compared them...

buddy has .270 weatherby his groups of 5 (100 yards) were within a dime think he was shooting federal premium not sure on the grain.

Give the Hornady 130 grns a try. They shot really well in my Brothers .270 Wearherby and after running them through the Chrono, it came real close to Hornadys claim of 3200 FPS.

Where is Lark??

Try Winchester, Remington, Federal, Hornady etc etc. Try them on paper and find out which one your rifle like the most.

Ernesto C

Bought some of the federal accubonds and some hornady so far, need to head out to the range this week. Thanks for all the replies.

Well? which one you ended up getting?

Ernesto C