Sign in to follow this  
pete

Smack Down on San Carlos

San Carlos Is missing a bear,

If I could recommend a hunt San Carlos diy bear hunt is the way to go.

The hunt had its ups and downs ( more downs) RAIN holy smokes lots of it.

It was hard to locate the bears with all that water. Little birds told me the pears and I saw 2 bears in the high pears of course on stateland I was hunting by the border in A. I was only able to give it a day hear and a day there with a pile of kids and work I was challenged. But finally Saturday I was able to go up and stay till Monday night. But it all endend in the pouring rain of Sunday evening.

I had hunted all day Sunday in the high areas and the low areas and made what seemed like 200 stands with the varmit call and batted zero. Finally I busted a cub crossing the road and he treed right away and was able to get some good pics.Then I decided to stay up high since I saw that cub up high. I ended up taking this crazy road way deep into the rez like 2 hours drive to this tank I had heard about by now its 4 almost bear 30. When I finally got there it was dry and I cursed it for making drive that far. So I drove past it about a mile to find a place to turn around because I crossed some big canyon that were good for glassing and was going to head back that way. Then driving along by the dry tank I saw a black ball I stopped pulled up the bino's and sure enough there it was Bear. I parked the truck and made about a 200 yard stalk to 265 yards and delivered a 165 grain sst backed by 73.5 grains of 7828 right into the boilermaker and it was over she the sow ran about 20 yards and folded up like a lawn chair. I was excited it was over well the easy part was. I had to high five myself since I was alone.Needless say most of you know how it goes from there shot at 4:15 arrived home at 1:30 and its only a 2.5 hour drive home.

Thanks

Pete

I posted some pics of the cub treed my bear and when I dropped it off to Wes my taxidermist I was able to pic up my stateland chocolate from last year. Planning on another smackdown session on Saturday by way of stateland.

post-2600-0-36525700-1345564817_thumb.jpg

post-2600-0-93761000-1345564823_thumb.jpg

post-2600-0-94743300-1345564832_thumb.jpg

Great write up and success.

Good looking bear, congrats to you. Good luck on Saturday with another bear.

Last yrs bear came out nice, I remember I stopped and talk you guys when you were skinning it out.

4 almost bear 30 is my favorite time of day. Glad it worked out for you. How much money did that cost you?

Congrats. Its very satisfying to work so hard and reach the lowest of lows and them when you least expect it...........bam....success!

Good looking bear ! B)

What's a bear rug mount going for these days.? I may want to have one done in the future.,