Sign in to follow this  
huntlines

Persistence = MONSTER first buck for my son

Persistence = MONSTER first buck for my son

Im sure some of you have read My daughters first buck with a bow. Having one of your children harvests a Coues deer with a bow is something you just cant put into words. Now my son has harvested his first Coues with a bow and man what a buck!

Sorry if this gets a little long but I must put this into perspective. Yes my son is only seventeen and yes this is his first buck but he has been archery hunting for three years now and has put more hours into it than probably twenty other hunters combined over that time. He has hunted in the early season heat and put countless hours in a hot blind. He has put even more time into hunting December/January freezing his tail off. So little to say my daughter told me in private she felt a little bad for him because she hasnt put in 1% of the time he has and she harvested before he did. I think my son was a little down too even though he would never let his sister know it.

During this last week my son was hinting he wanted to ditch school Friday and go hunting. After finding out his limited senior year schedule meant he wasnt going to miss much on a Friday I agreed he should hunt before the holiday weekend. He has been hunting with me long enough to know that Labor Day weekend is crazy and the deer are off their patterns.

Then he told me where he wanted to hunt. I knew what he was thinking and why he wanted to make the hour long hike in the dark just to get to this spot. Then he said dad I wont shoot the MONSTER buck and save him for you in January. It is true I was after a buck that eluded me last year but still this comment shocked me. I told him if that buck gives you a shot YOU TAKE IT. I also talked to him about the odds where he was going to have opportunities at smaller bucks and that he shouldnt pass them up just to hold out for the MONSTER. He agreed and reassured me he would shoot the first buck that he got a chance at.

My twelve year old found out her brother was ditching school to go hunting and there was no way she was getting left behind. I wish I would have been with him and got it on camera but I couldnt tell my youngest daughter no.

I got a text from my son at 7am. I figured he was just checking in, oh no, his text read as follows HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP I JUST SHOT THE MONSTER!!!!!!!!!! HOLY CRAP I couldnt catch my breath for a few seconds. My heart was pounding and I felt like I had buck fever! I finally came to my senses and wanted to know details, where was the hit, what kind of penetration and what did he act like when he ran off. When he told me he drilled him behind the shoulder and sunk the arrow nearly to the fletchings I was practically running in his direction.

I didnt get to him until almost two hours later. As I walked up to him I just happened to see something that caught my eye, Blood! LOTS of blood and a smile on my son that said it all. I looked at him and then the blood trail and saidson do you know what you just did? My son quickly corrected me and said we had to find him first but with the blood trail I saw there was very little doubt the buck wasnt far.

The blood trail was one of those you follow standing straight up and never loosing stride as you follow it. Eighty yards later it just stopped! Then I realized we were standing on a steep slope and looked down. The buck died on a dead run and rolled down the hill before a dead fall stopped him. We were celebrating and taking turns putting this magnificent trophy in our hands. His split eye guard and palmated other eye guard where something you just had to touch.

My son is slowly realizing his first buck is one he may spend a lifetime trying to best but he has a long bow hunting life ahead of him.

post-5532-0-49735000-1346609380_thumb.jpg

post-5532-0-25293000-1346609387.jpg

post-5532-0-63663700-1346609394_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

What an amazing accomplishment! Congrats to you and your son.

Great Buck!!!!