couesntime

2012 Velvet nap!

Well it was my 3rd time sitting a stand in a place I knew held deer in January. I hung a stand last saturday and starting hunting on Sunday. I heard bulls going crazy all day, but no deer activity. Yesterday after work I snuck out for a few hour sit. At about 5 I had a doe come through and at 6 I heard some noise off about 80 yds. Here comes 3 bucks! 2 spikes and this guy are headed right for me and on the cusp of winding me. The spikes got right under my tree, but the bigger one was just behind another tree with no shot. I thought the little guys were going to bust me as soon as I tried to draw. I pulled back with no other option and to my surprise the spikes just kept milling around. My buck finally moved away from the tree and presented me with a 15 yd broadside shot. I got double lungs and he went 70 yards before he got drunk and fell over!

Funny part of the whole deal was that my truck is in the shop getting some work done, so I borrowed my roommates car. With the amount of time I have spent in this area not seeing deer but just observing nature, I thought it was safe to assume that killing was probably not a high percentage. After I saw the buck go down, I called some buddies with a truck to come pick up my deer. I got my buck back to the road and processed just in time to put him in the back of my buddies truck (all the while the bulls were going crazy, which is always fun to see and hear! I would have a lot of explaining to do if I put a deer in my room mates car that does not even hunt!

post-5307-0-94223100-1347380898_thumb.jpg

nicely done!

Congratulations on a great archery accomplishment!

James

Great buck......way to go! Good lesson for us all, if you want to kill a nice buck (or any buck for that matter), you have have to find a way to out there!