Sign in to follow this  
swaro06

Sighting in a 270 for elk hunt

Why is not recommende to sight in a rifle at 100 yards?? It does not matter if you sight in your rifle at 100 or 200 yards, just make sure you know where your bullet is hitting at 100, 200, 300 and 350, 375, 400 etc. If you do your home work you'll be ok.

Ernesto C

• Like 2

Most game is missed by over estimating the range. For whatever it's worth I would sight my rifle to hit dead on at two hundred and if you get a shot at three hundred you will be good with that as long as you are holding hair, but not belly hair! My guess is that you would have about a 4 inch drop from 200 to three hundred yards.

Why guess when there are ballistic charts for every factory round now a days on every ammo companies website out to 500 yards.

Use ballistic charts to plot scenarios (zero, target distance, etc). I use Strelok on my Droid. Ammo manufactures websites have them. If you will be hunting open country, then site in at 200, or even 250. If you are hunting in thicker timber, then site in at 100, or 150. It realy comes down to shooting enough to know the tragectory at various ranges.

+2 Ernesto. In .270 WSM and .300 WSM, I usually go for 3-4" high at 100 and dead on at either 250 or 300. From there I find the drop at 50 yard increments out to 500 - that's about my max, and draw a diagram of exactly what point to aim at or between mil dots between zero and 500. Then tape that on the inside of my flip-up scope cap. So at max power you have a visual aid of where your bullet will hit at ranges above your zero. Anything below your zero, hold on the lower half and you'll be in the zone.

I don't trust ballistic charts - best to shoot at all ranges to see where YOUR load hits.

• Like 1

Knowing the Point Blank Range Ballistics (on flat ground) for your particular round can save you some time estimating the distance when in the field which helps when a shot presents itself and seconds count which is the reason to sight in 3" high. There is lots to be found regarding PBR on the net but you can start here.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm

The 270 is relatively flat out to 300 yards. I would zero at 200 and hold a little high at 300. The point being you can hold on the animal out to 300 no problem.