Sign in to follow this  
cramerhunts

When it all comes together!

Even though I did not draw an archery bull tag this year one of my hunting partners did. There is a small group of us that hunt together every year and as long as one of us gets a tag we all go and put in just as much effort as if the tag was our own. We have been doing this for a long time now and even though we have taken some great bulls we have never been able to get one that makes you go "wow".

This year Keith happened to draw the tag and as soon as we found out we started making scouting trips every chance we got. Forum member RUT (Jim) and Keith found a spot that we would call home during these scouting trips and camp was set. I honestly believe that Jim changed his address as he has lived up there for the last three months.

camp1.jpg

Even though we had a lot of help from our good friend Richie on where to start we were still putting up to 120 miles a day on the side by sides looking at country, setting trail cams, and trying to find where we might focus our attention. Before any of us knew it the season was just around the corner and final preparations were being made. Right up to the day before the season started we had found a lot of bulls and quite a few cows but still hadn't found something that Keith would draw back on. That all changed the night before the opener........Keith and I were glassing from a small butte and spotted not only one big bull but three different ones. We knew they were good bulls just couldn't tell how good due to the distance. From that point forward it was game on!

Every morning Keith and I would try and get in front of the bulls pushing their cows back to the thick stuff while Jim would glass from the butte. Every evening Keith would sit the nearest water, I'd glass from the butte, and Jim would keep an eye on other areas. Keith passed up several bulls ranging from 330-370" waiting for a chance at one of the bulls we had seen. We had a few other hunters in the area and between their presence and ours the bulls quieted down quite a bit and changed their patterns some. I was still able to glass at least two of the bigger bulls every night from the butte which kept us going strong.

On Monday morning we were following the same routine except that Jim had to head back to town to take care of some business so that he could stay the duration and the other hunters didn't show up. Keith and I had the area all to ourselves but the bulls decided to not make much noise which was a little discouraging. We decided to head out anyway so we left the truck in the dark and started hiking. We made our loop a little further south than we had been and soon started hearing that sweet sound of bulls bugling back and forth to each other. We hustled to get the wind right and slowly started easing in towards what sounded like the herd bull. It wasn't long before I spotted the cows and then the bull stepped out. I was able to take some quick video before he headed off after his cows.

http://s81.photobuck...zpsd59aa1b3.mp4

After looking at the bull Keith told me we need to go get him! We were able to hustle around the group and get in between the bull and his cows, which left Keith with a 55 yard shot that he made good on. The big bull didn't go 150 yards and we were able to hear him breath his last few breaths. It always amazes me that with everything that can go wrong when the time is right and it is meant to be how fast everything comes together and goes perfect.

Here is a video I took of the shot and the moments after.

http://s81.photobuck...zps0a52e265.mp4

Congratulations to Keith on his 392" Trophy bull, it is definitely a "wow" bull! He has over 61" of mass, a 25" G2, fronts that are all over 20" and he's 43" wide.

IMGP0045_zps3bb024de.jpg

BackViewClose_zpsca2c8e99.jpg

IMGP0038_zps1d9e213f.jpg

IMGP0050_zps1599bfb7.jpg

IMGP0013_zpsdb388a0e.jpg trailer_zpsa7a02a77.jpgLoaded_zps68dcad00.jpg

Awesome bull!

Again, great job guys!

I know Jimmy puts in a TON of time while scouting.

Plus, you never cease to amaze me with your video camera Phil!

Congratulations big time.

Wow, congrats! That truly is an amazing bull. Thanks for the writeup too. Sounds like you have some great friends.

Incredible!!! Congratulations on an exceptional bull. Loved the video and pictures!

Phil, I have been looking forward to the story on this bull. And pictures on the phone just don't cut it. Incredible bull! It was well deserved. Now it's time to start thinking about Mexico coues deer in January. Congrats