Sign in to follow this  
mulie hunter

Archery cow

Im a rookie when it comes to elk hunting. I have hunted mule deer and javelina for years. But this was my second timde elk hunting and I learned alot! First off i thought harvesting a cow would be easy but 12 days into the hunt I realized she was a real trophy! And wow getting her off the side of that hill that was a job!

post-940-0-38810600-1348879097_thumb.jpg

Huge congrats on your first elk....first elk with bow! They are super fun to chase especially if the rut is on and you can pass the time stalking cows with big herd bulls putting on a show! I had the "Now what do I do!" thought after I shot my bull in 09 and we saw the body size. Luckly my dad was along with me and jumped right in....I just held the legs and pulled the hide as directed!

Nice Job Mulie Hunter. Now that's some good eating elk. Tastes completely different than one of those old rutting up bulls that piss all over themselves.

Dang that cow looks like a camel. looks like a big cow. Cow hunting is the exact opposite of bull hunting. When bull hunting you want to shoot as big of a bull as you can. When you cow hunt, you want to shoot as small of a cow as you can. Congrats on the successful hunt!

You certainly don't look like no rookie in that picture. Congratulations on a freezer full of meat. :)

TJ

During our pre season scouting we found some hills and ridges that the elk liked to bed down on in the afternoon. So after our morning hunt we would hike into these hills looking for elk. We did this every afternoon, day after day, seeing no elk in these hills, for 11 days this was our afternoon ritual with no success but hoping the elk would be there. On the 12th day of the hunt,we once again made the steep climb up the hill, as we made our way to the back side of the hill I mentioned to my hunting buddy and excellent elk spotter, the wind is wrong, we are not going to see any elk! We had not walked 50 yards when he said there she is. Directly in front of us was a cow elk broadside with her head down feeding, totally unaware of our presence! I dropped to one knee and ranged her at 35 yards(thanks to my rangesnap) split my 30 and 40 pin and placed it behind her front shoulder and watched the arrow hit its mark! To my surprise she didnt move just lifted her head and looked in our direction, I began to doubt my shot, so i nocked another arrow but before i could get off another shot, she ran down the hill and out of sight! My buddy said you hit her perfect! We retrieved the arrow good blood on it and we went back to camp and got two of our other hunting buddies. When we went to recover her we found her 40 yards from where last saw her! It was a perfect double lung shot! I was one happy hunter! I had harvested my first elk! And I was Thanking God!

I must add hunting elk during the rut is a blast, even if its a cow hunt! We were on elk every day.( yes i blew a few stalks and shot opportunities, but I was learning from my mistakes) We had bulls bugling around us cows mewing... It was blast trying to get in position for a shot! A couple times we had nice bulls stopped broadside for a shot, all while the cows kept moving! We chased bugles, sat water, still hunted ridges and most of all had fun! We ended up filling 2 of 4 tags!

• Like 1