Sign in to follow this  
43F

Hunter Orange

So, I'm originally from Illinois and you have to wear hunter orange, except for bow-hunting. I've only hunted bow here and am heading out to 18B for a hunt rifle hunt. Do I need to wear hunter orange in this state? Probably will even if you don't because the area I plan to hunt is supposed to be heavily populated with hunters. I couldn't find any info on this in the rules and regs.

Guest akaspecials

Blaze orange is not mandatory. During rifle season I will always have something orange with me though. I normally only wear it if I'm walking and I always drape it over animals if I'm carrying them out.

It's always a good practice to have some sort of orange with you if you kill and have to walk out. I always have a hat and a vest in orange color for safety just in case. :)

TJ

I'm from back east ( years ago) and know that rule well. My back pack has a blaze orange water proof cover zipped into the bottom of the pack. I have used it many times to help me locate my pack when I drop it off for archery spot and stalk. It works great hanging it in a tree just above the pack also or to keep my hat dry in a soft rain. But if I was a rifle hunter ( even thought there is no requirement) I would use it like others have mentioned, for when I was on the move and covering an animal I was packing out. Don’t bring a white bucket with you to sit on or blow your nose with a white handkerchief! They even have orange toilet paper now which as funny as it sounds is a darn good idea.

GBA

I ususally wear something orange. If I know there's other hunters in the area, I put on a hat and a vest. Not a big bright upland-type vest, just a cheap one I picked up years ago... My goal is to have fun and come home safe every time.

After seeing the dirt kick up a few feet away, then hearing the gunshot, I ALWAYS have orange on me during the rifle hunts.

Ghillie Suit all the way until I hear a whizz. Then I pull out my orange boating flag lol

I have a buddy whom I purchased an orange hat for, mainly for the purpose of keeping track of him when he has a rifle. :(

I was able to pick him up with a pair of 10x50s last year from half a mile away while he took a hasty shot at the only coues buck we saw all week.

I usually only wear orange when quail hunting with coues finder. LOL!

but aways keep some in my pack.

James

Hunter Orange is only mandatory if you are from Illinois or any other place - That is how we keep track of non native hunters!

You natives just want to follow us non natives to the big bucks ;)

I know that this thread is more of just a yes or no question but I used to not care too much about hunter orange during my seasons. Then a few years ago a friend of mine was hit pretty good with #4 shot from another turkey hunter.....true story

Needless to say I ALWAYS have orange on (even if it is just a hat) during a gun hunt, the same goes for the kiddo's

Hunter Orange is only mandatory if you are from Illinois or any other place - That is how we keep track of non native hunters!

You natives just want to follow us non natives to the big bucks ;)

I like that idea!