Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

Suggestions on which long range gun to buy

I would like suggestions on which long range guns are suggested. I'm looking for a gun that has the ability to shoot very accurately to 1000 yards and most importantly has very little re-coil. I am considering a Remington Sendaro in 284 and the Savage Long range Hunter, but I would like to hear other options. The gun will be my back up gun. I will be re-loading my own ammo. I will be putting a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 scope with Turrets on the gun. My budget is about $800-1200. I am willing to get a used or new gun or have one built.

Adam

What are you shooting that far out?

My suggestion would be get a gun built, get a remington 700 action send it to a gunsmith and have him blueprint the action and put a good quality barrel on like shilen, kreiger, or hart. then get a good rigid stock like hs precision, or manners. this set up with shoot 1/4Moa. Now for caliber i like the 6.5mm to 7mm. because of the high ballistic coefficient of the bullet. Right now i shoot a 6.5 creedmoor, 6.5X284lapua, and a 7mm rem mag. and all of them are capable of shots over 1000. Also long range shooting takes a lot of trigger time and knowing your gun, because, after all the gun cannot shoot itself.

My suggestion would be get a gun built, get a remington 700 action send it to a gunsmith and have him blueprint the action and put a good quality barrel on like shilen, kreiger, or hart. then get a good rigid stock like hs precision, or manners. this set up with shoot 1/4Moa. Now for caliber i like the 6.5mm to 7mm. because of the high ballistic coefficient of the bullet. Right now i shoot a 6.5 creedmoor, 6.5X284lapua, and a 7mm rem mag. and all of them are capable of shots over 1000. Also long range shooting takes a lot of trigger time and knowing your gun, because, after all the gun cannot shoot itself.

This guy knows what he's talking about! Great advice McMillian is also a great stock, Jewell trigger, and if you spend on what the rifle will cost you built, on a scope things will die at extreme ranges.

I'm a fan of having one built, but I'm not a fan of using factory actions. Purchase a stiller or similar action, custom barrel( Schneider, hart, krieger, etc), stock (McMillan or Manners), jewel trigger and choose something in the 7mm or 6mm range for caliber. Btw, I recommended HS to a buddy and the stock is a POS, this will put you close to $2,000.

If your still looking to stay under $1000 buy a savage. They come with a button rifled barrel, floating bolt face and the accutrigger is supposed to be nice. In addition, if you decide to make some changes, you do a lot of them by yourself.

either way you look at it trueing up a remington action is gonna be close to a 1,000 and most your custom actions are 1000 to 1500 bucks. Gunsmiths usually charge 3,000 to 4,000 for a built rifle not including optics. There are many gunsmiths that use hs stocks ask Shawn Carlock and some of his 338 edges. I sold the 338 edge on here that i would put next to any gun and it would hold its own for a fraction of a custom 3,000 plus dollar rifle

I would like suggestions on which long range guns are suggested. I'm looking for a gun that has the ability to shoot very accurately to 1000 yards and most importantly has very little re-coil. I am considering a Remington Sendaro in 284 and the Savage Long range Hunter, but I would like to hear other options. The gun will be my back up gun. I will be re-loading my own ammo. I will be putting a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 scope with Turrets on the gun. My budget is about $800-1200. I am willing to get a used or new gun or have one built.

Adam

BIG BROWN- a good place to learn more about long range shooting is Longrangehunting.com . my buddies and i have quite a few senderos. they are a great choice. they do not come in .284 win from the factory. it appears your budget will allow you to only buy a factory rifle in the caliber of your choice. you do not say what you are going to be shooting at - paper , elk , coues?? i shoot against savages frequently in competition . it is a lot of fun . grin. on the magnum sendero we all have muzzle breaks which make the recoil much less. once you get a factory sendero if you want a custome barrel i would get a krieger, hart, or broughton.

Thanks for all the info guys. I will be using the gun for hunting Elk, Bear and Coues. I'm really considering the Savage 110fcp 338 Lapua. Does anyone have any hands on experience with this gun?

Adam

Thanks for all the info guys. I will be using the gun for hunting Elk, Bear and Coues. I'm really considering the Savage 110fcp 338 Lapua. Does anyone have any hands on experience with this gun?

Adam

It will be expensive to shoot... Look up how much the brass costs. Also, it will have more than "very little re-coil".

It is however, a great round.

either way you look at it trueing up a remington action is gonna be close to a 1,000 and most your custom actions are 1000 to 1500 bucks. Gunsmiths usually charge 3,000 to 4,000 for a built rifle not including optics. There are many gunsmiths that use hs stocks ask Shawn Carlock and some of his 338 edges. I sold the 338 edge on here that i would put next to any gun and it would hold its own for a fraction of a custom 3,000 plus dollar rifle

I beg to differ, even if your were to buy a used action lets say at $350.00. I have a gunsmith true my actions for $300.00 a piece. so all in all your into a trued remington action for 650.

I shot hntrmncb's edge he sold on here. First shot 1100 yds at a ~6in rock. It was gone on impact. Don't be afraid to go savage! Just like ford vs. Chevy! I shoot a remi but will go savage next time for certain. 1/2 the cost.

Adam

338 lapua? the ammo cost a fortune.

I beg to differ, even if your were to buy a used action lets say at $350.00. I have a gunsmith true my actions for $300.00 a piece. so all in all your into a trued remington action for 650.

Diffrent buildera have diffrent definitions of trued/ blue printed and and yea you can get one trued for $350 possibly less, but you wont get your money out of it when uou sell it. In addition, you wont get all of the features that you would a custom action.

I've done it both ways and I still wonder if the smith did my Remington action correctly.

Hey Adam, how ya doin. On that budget I would say you are on the right track with Savage. Having little felt recoil and taking elk sized game over 1000 yards might be tricky. You better consider a good muzzle break.

• Like 1

I had a gun built by a great gunsmith, off of a REM 700 action. I bought an HS Precision stock and my own rings and bases. Total price, including action and stock and shipping both ways was less than $2000. Shoots awesome.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/7mm-mag-mcr-71186/

JeffRogers1.jpg