Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Rattlesnake Bite

So, you are 2 hours from civilization once you finally get to the truck, but more than likely you were 3 miles away from your truck when you got bit by a rattlesnake.

What do you do???

Is there like an epi pen available or some other treatment so you have a fighting chance out there???

Make things right with Master J first ;) , and after that a multitude of things can happen , because the time delay from anti-venom is a huge concern, and also an individual could go into shock which goes from bad to really bad.

I think antivenom is the only thing that can help! Its expensive so only some hospitals carry it!

This is why you always make sure you have one bullet left...

^ Its pretty funny not going to lie.

The good news is much of predominant rattlesnake country consists of decent cell phone coverage. At the very least, most places will allow a text message to get out for help.

I invested in the SPOT for reasons similar to this. Especially if you find yourself hunting alone often like myself. If you go this route, make sure you purchase the insurance that goes with the plan where if you were to use it, it helps cover the serious expense of a "rescue".

The other good news, rattlesnake bites are rarely lethal. Obviously the antivenin plays a factor in this but the snakes venom takes several hours to reach its effect anyway. You'll experience tissue damage LONG before death. The BEST thing you could do is have insurance because the antivenin is ridiculously expensive. And they always want to give several treatments. But if you're out in the field, this is what I'd do:

-Stay calm and move the affected limb as little as possible. This is where splinting helps.

-Remove anything restrictive (watches, bands, or whatever) because swelling will occur around the site.

-If you must move, give yourself to some time to relax and calm down. It should help in localizing the venom and discouraging blood flow around the site (more blood flow = more tissue damage).

-I'd probably clean it off as quickly as possible to reduce the chances of infection.

This is what I would NOT do:

-tourniquet (you'll do more harm than good. It's typically LOCAL tissue damage that occurs. I'd rather have a jacked up scar on my calf than a prosthetic limb from the knee down because I restricted blood flow to my foot).

-cut and suck (it's already injected into your tissue. This is like trying to cut and suck the medication just put into your arm by a syringe. Silly.)

Finally, I honestly don't think I'd kill the snake. If it were in my back yard, I'd definitely make a nice skin out of him. But out in the middle of nowhere? What good did that do?? Guess I'm a hippie when it comes to this.

• Like 1

Just to clarify. In your scenario of being "2hrs from civilization" and you've made it to your truck, I'd say you're fine. Get help ASAP but understand that there are FAR worse accidents that take place in the field. More people die from wasp and bee stings than they ever do from snake bites.

Tines has a good point, unless its a Mojave they have a neurotoxin in their venom, and paralysis will take place within a few hours.

I just ran across a green Mojave a couple of weeks ago about 4 miles deep in the wilderness. Fortunately for me he let me know about 12 feet before getting to him that he was on the trail. There was no cell phone service and very spotty satellite service for my GPS and I was in a deep and steep canyon with the only way out pretty much they way I came in. I had to find a long stick to pick the snake up with and move him off the trail to get by. I did not kill him although sometimes I must admit I am questioning myself about that. I even ran across him on the way back the next day. He wasn't 20 yards from where I left him the day before but this time he was moving away. I kept thinking if I got bit by that 4 foot fat snake I hope he just ate. I could be in serious trouble humping it back to the truck. I would have to hike it out...so my question is how do you get help if your to sit and relax yourself? The Spot is the only answer I can think of and they work off of satellite. Otherwise it's get your hind end out of there and back to the truck.

Be careful out there this time of year. Specially you quail hunters.

GBA

The good news is much of predominant rattlesnake country consists of decent cell phone coverage. At the very least, most places will allow a text message to get out for help.

I invested in the SPOT for reasons similar to this. Especially if you find yourself hunting alone often like myself. If you go this route, make sure you purchase the insurance that goes with the plan where if you were to use it, it helps cover the serious expense of a "rescue".

The other good news, rattlesnake bites are rarely lethal. Obviously the antivenin plays a factor in this but the snakes venom takes several hours to reach its effect anyway. You'll experience tissue damage LONG before death. The BEST thing you could do is have insurance because the antivenin is ridiculously expensive. And they always want to give several treatments. But if you're out in the field, this is what I'd do:

-Stay calm and move the affected limb as little as possible. This is where splinting helps.

-Remove anything restrictive (watches, bands, or whatever) because swelling will occur around the site.

-If you must move, give yourself to some time to relax and calm down. It should help in localizing the venom and discouraging blood flow around the site (more blood flow = more tissue damage).

-I'd probably clean it off as quickly as possible to reduce the chances of infection.

This is what I would NOT do:

-tourniquet (you'll do more harm than good. It's typically LOCAL tissue damage that occurs. I'd rather have a jacked up scar on my calf than a prosthetic limb from the knee down because I restricted blood flow to my foot).

-cut and suck (it's already injected into your tissue. This is like trying to cut and suck the medication just put into your arm by a syringe. Silly.)

Finally, I honestly don't think I'd kill the snake. If it were in my back yard, I'd definitely make a nice skin out of him. But out in the middle of nowhere? What good did that do?? Guess I'm a hippie when it comes to this.

I could get cell phone service if I were to climb approximately 1000 ft in elevation or drive for about an hour. Sounds crazy in this day and age, but there just is no service.

I don't know about the SPOT, I will have to google that and check it out.

Last year deer season, we come into camp just after dark.

Cole was helping me get supper cooked, he is using a flashlight.

Our dog Daisy was with us.

Cole just about steps on a rattler curled up right next to where my truck was parked not 15 feet away from the cooking table.

Luckily it was cold and sluggish. I have no sympathy for a rattler, if you checked out the photo in the Vintage Photo threads you know why.

This is not the first encounter and my wife has started getting a little paranoid about us being out there. I don't blame her, but tryy not to get too excited over it.

Thanks for the info, I will check that SPOT out, could give us some relief, we go in there enough it truly is a concern. And like you said, not just rattlesnakes.

For the warm season, I have a pair of Cabela's snake boots that go most of the way up the shin. They are comfortable, and work good from being impaled on cactus as well.

X2 on the Spot. There are a ton of other uses with it if you pay for the service on top of the free rescue notification service. I don't leave the house without mine when I'm headed out into the outdoors.

I'd chew a Benedryl and get to my truck or phone service. Most folks on this board will not die from a rattlesnake bite, get real sick tho. Not all bites have venom in them, some are dry holes because the snake knew it couldn't eat you so why waste the poison.

An Epi alternative, granted not as good, is Benedryl, use it for snake bites and bee stings. Crunch it up before swallowing so it works quicker. It won't stop anaphalaxis but it will slow it down.

The majority of the snake bites happen right after the words "here, hold my beer".

• Like 3