Sign in to follow this  
outdoor rush

2012 Arizona Desert Bear

I decided 3 weeks ago i should probably shoot a Bear this year and check it off the to do list. First weekend out was spent helping a friend kill his fall turkey. While glassing for bears in 23 we stumbled upon some turkeys and he killed one. After that weekend I went out a few times with my girl glassing for bears and calling predators, without a bear sighting. Last weds. my buddy and I went glassing and glassed up a bear 1600 yards away right at 6pm, needless to say we could not kill this bear that night. After spending a couple days scouring google earth for a way to get to this bear, we finally said screw it and started hiking an hour and a half before sunrise to get to where we needed to be. After just missing the opportunity to kill this bear at around 9am yesterday morning, i was able to connect on a 150 yard shot around noon, bringing my short lived bear quest to a very exciting and fulfilling end. It took us Just about 3 hours to pack this bear back to the truck but all the cactus, scratches, blisters, and bruises were well worth it. Thanks again Brandon

389473_212044972260867_1474142656_n.jpg

• Like 3

How big did that bear end up being? Great success man!

We guessed him at around 300 pounds and 6' from nose to tail stretched out. He had 4" of fat on him, very healthy bear. The biologist at game and fish said he was a pretty big bear by the size of his head and guessed him at 6-7 years old. He also said that most of the bears brought in this year have been unhealthy with no fat on them. This guy had a huge scar down his back, scars on his forehead, and a scar/tumor on the side of his snout. Very happy with my first bear.

Jake

Thanks for the story Jake, good luck this fall man.

Nice bear !

Sounds like he had a few fights in his lifetime ! B)

I am thinking about buying a tag for my 27 hunt this weekend. Last year we saw lots..... of sign but I havent seen the bear yet. Maybe i will run into him or glass him up.

I am thinking about buying a tag for my 27 hunt this weekend. Last year we saw lots..... of sign but I havent seen the bear yet. Maybe i will run into him or glass him up.

27 is closed

Very nice job on the Bear.Of all the years Ive seen Bears in the Huachucas and Chiricahuas I never hunted them.Now Im in Alaska And I am addicted to hunting them.Congrats on your bear and hopefully your addicted now :)