Sign in to follow this  
Coach

sixteen days - self guided 13B

Just around the corner, still two weeks away and I can barely sleep! Somewhere up there is a huge buck that I hope to out-maneuver!

So far, what I've heard is bucks that were 200" last year are 190-ish this year. Very little water in the spring seems to have had a negative affect on growth. That said, I can count the 190" bucks I've seen alive, in person on one finger, so I'm not too discouraged by the "less than optimal" horn growth. I'm not going up there with "200+ or nothing" approach. I just want to have a good time, see some good deer in amazing country, and if it is my turn to get a crack at one of those big boys, I hope all my practice and preparation come together when it counts.

What's really cool, is how many people have been willing to share information so when I get up there I'll have a clue what I'm doing. Most, if not all of the people who have gotten me pointed in the right direction are from this site, and I am truly grateful to all of them.

Glad to hear the positive feedback on info from hunters, no one gives up their spots for oct in 36 b since its an easy draw but when someone gets a once in a lifetime tag everyone is willing to help out, good luck!

Good luck my friend and I hope you shoot a good buck. Wish I had some info but infortunately I don't. :)

TJ

Just around the corner, still two weeks away and I can barely sleep! Somewhere up there is a huge buck that I hope to out-maneuver!

yellowjacket pride! good luck bro, im jealous as can be

Huge thanks again for all the support. At this point, I'm on track with as much information and planning as anyone going up there "self-guided" can be. I put that in quotes, because in no way will I be self-guided at this point in the literal sense.

I may very well be alone for the full hunt, but I'll be sleeping in a wall tent provided by friends (both Mark and Big Bry have offered their wall tents), focusing on areas that were suggested by people who have been up there and hunted it in the past, including one of our members (Ryan) who hunted it for 22 days during the archery hunt, a couple guys who guide up there, but were willing to give some very detailed advice (Kent McClendon, Eric Santanna). My new friend Jason Standage was up there doing road work around St. George. Jason sent me pix and updates of everything he saw in his down time.

I can't say enough about Kent McClendon. He's currently running an outfitting buisiness.http://www.extremetrophyhuntsaz.com/.

I first met Kent through CWT, and was just learning how to hunt in Arizona, a long time ago. We have yet to meet in person or share a hunt, but over the years we've been in touch. When I realized I had drawn this hunt, my first call was to him.

So, whatever happens on this hunt, even if I come home empty handed, I have a LOT of really nice people to thank for making sure I don't start out clueless.

I'll do my best to chronicle the hunt, take notes, and pass on as much as I can to the next CWT member that embarks on this journey.

One thing I can promise, I type a lot and take lot of pictures, so if you want a long story, you are in for a treat whether I kill a buck or not.

That is great you were able to secure knowledge and experience from other members here.

I am sure you will so great and have an awesome hunt.

Hopefully someday I will get the opportunity to travel the same path. (13 pts and counting)

Cant wait to hear about your adventure

Good luck Coach! Go get em and I can't wait for your return to read all about it.