Sign in to follow this  
Snapshot

Pigeon Problem

Build or buy a pigeon trap. Small birds will go in and out, If doves are caught turn them loose. Most guys, including myself training bird dogs will happily take the pigeons off your hands.

BB gun no...How about a blow dart tube? Now that could be a hoot! ;) Or maybe get real good at a sling shot??

GBA

I would love to start flinging projectiles and "Thin the herd", however my neighbors would hear or see me, and snitch to the landlord. If it wasn't for that, those pigeons would be resting peacfully in the promised land.

Sounds like you’re in a heck of a predicament. If the shade trees are close enough I would probably slip a blowgun out the crack of a window or door. They are quiet and deadly. ;) Then get a cat to sneak in and haul the carcass away. Ha ha ha LOL. :lol: Good luck with that!

GBA

You could try feeding differently.....I don't feed sparrows and such because many of them are non-native species and I don't like to help them out. So I just use a thistle feeder which will be most attractive to golfinches and some house finches. The goldfinches are pretty birds and they feed by climbing on the feeder and picking the tiny seeds out. Most other birds can't do that, so you limit what you are feeding. Quail and morning doves can still feed on some of the seed that falls out. Thistle seed is expensive, but you don't go through as much because you are limiting what you are feeding.

here is a video I made awhile back showing some of my backyard birds...towards the end you can see the copper thistle feeder I use and the finches going to town on it.

for those that like bird watching....see how many birds you can identify in this fast paces video.

the birds in the beginning of the video are feeding on the thistle seed that has fallen on the ground under the feeder.

at about 1 min 36 seconds you can see the thistle feeder and finches briefly.

[media=]

[/media]

pigeons - the ultimate freeloaders of the bird world

new neighbors / with dogs / we now have a telephone line full of freeloaders- waitin for the dog food dish - they got it timed perfectly!!

bet the dog aint gettin much once 12-15 obumbirds get thru

Thats a neat video.

I live in mid town tucson, so I don't get many natives around. Only doves and occasional cactus wren.

I started feeding the sparrows in the spring as I liked watching the hatchlings feed when they flopped out of the nests and got stronger. Somehow word went out on the pigeon telegraph that food was available. I got up to 20 lbs of seed a week. Enough of that!

pigeons - the ultimate freeloaders of the bird world

new neighbors / with dogs / we now have a telephone line full of freeloaders- waitin for the dog food dish - they got it timed perfectly!!

bet the dog aint gettin much once 12-15 obumbirds get thru

I know how you feel. The pigeons sit up on the power lines like vultures,just waiting to swoop in. My neighbors probably think I am nuts when I am out flailing at pigeons with a broom stick, after they land in my yard :lol:

I don't really know my birds but here is a quick try:

Gamble Quail

House Sparrow

White wing dove

Mourning Dove

Red Finch or was that a Cardinal??

Woodpecker

Road Runner

Big Black Bird don't know a name

Red headed sparrow....not sure the name

Those little yellow ones........maybe a finch??

Boy I am a true birder........that was a fun watch though...................thanks............

Good luck Snap..................just like uncle sam.............you gotta cut the groceries..............

Feed 'em rice. It'd probably end up killing any bird that eats it, but I know there's a resort in Tucson that regularly put rice out on their outside patios to get rid of the dove that would come through for the leftovers. Never tried it but theory seems to make sense!