Howdy- had my velbron tripod lose 2 legs this oct and the plastic quick snaps have broken off in several locations.

Looking to upgrade to carbon fiber tripod- I am getting old and would like to reduce the weight load of my backpack.

What are some tripods you use that's carbon and what are the pro's and con's about carbon fiber tripods? Thanks!

I recently bought the carbon fiber manfrotto for about $300. It was cheaper than all the others and it reduced my weight by a couple of pounds! It was worth the money to reduce my packing weight. Other than the weight it works the same. I bought it at the Mesa Sportsmans warehouse!

get the promaster carbon fiber that I sell. I LOVE this tripod! It's so lightweight it's ridiculous. It's perfect for coues hunting. Everyone who I have shown this tripod to has fallen in love with it! I just sold two to my hunting buddies last week, they are so excited about the weight savings and the quality! It's Scott Adam's new favorite tripod too.

As always, I have a 100% money-back guarrantee....if you don't like the product, send it back for a refund. This tripod has twist legs, so no tabs to snap off like your velbon.

http://store.coueswh...r-tripod-t325p/

I sell a larger more expensive carbon fiber tripod, but for the size and cost savings, I much prefer the promaster.

The ProMaster tripod that Amanda sells has received good reviews. Adorama sells their Flashpoint line of CF tripods that are more budget oriented.

Manfrotto recently released the 290 series of CF trippods that not too spendy for CF (as you know, CF prices may approach $1k).

http://www.manfrotto.us/photo-tripods-290-series

The CF can be a little lighter, stiffer, transmit less vibration, and not as cold-to-the-touch as comparably-sized aluminum models.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/548524-REG/Manfrotto_190CXPRO3_190CXPRO3_3_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html

I have this tripod. Very similar to what Doug posted just a bit shorter and cheaper. I've been really happy with it, however, I think I would go with Doug's recommendation as mine is just a couple inches too short for me to glass with comfortably standing up.

Get a "SLIK AMT" tripod they are about 169.00 very sturdy and light weight They are sold at Bull Basin Archery! I attach it to the side of my backpack and it doesn't put a strain on me carrying it!!

post-6111-0-13663900-1352247293_thumb.jpg

post-6111-0-91521200-1352247330_thumb.jpg

post-6111-0-66095900-1352247375_thumb.jpg

How does the promaster compare to aluminum tripods? I am curious about the shaking in the wind or the shaking when you wrap ur arms around the tripod while you are glassing

Shaking in the wind is possible with most any tripod.....the larger the tripod, the less shaking, so there is always a trade off with stability and weight...i find the promaster very stable...i think my promaster is about as stable as my aluminum velbon tripod.......but i also sell a larger carbon fiber if you want a little more stability. The promaster has a little hook that hangs off the center column where you can hang a weight for added stability

I have and used the SLIK PRO 330DX-B for many many years.

It's all aluminum and gets high enough to glass from standing up.

When I switched over to the carbon fiber ProMaster, it was mainly for the added height it reached.

I was getting a very bad kink in my neck because i would have to "compress" my neck to glass.

So with the higher tripod I can now glass standing with my neck in a natural position, I noticed the effects immediately.

I too was worried about the shaking and even though the carbon fiber weighs a lot less, it shakes the same, no real difference.

I believe it's because the legs are stout. Unlike thin legged tripods that shake like crazy in the wind.

Hope this helps. I would buy this ProMaster again in a heartbeat. It, along with my Jim White fluid head, it's awesome.

Thanks for all the info, looks like promaster is 63 inches, my tripod head will add on another 3 inches, binos and adaptor will add on 2 more inches, I will have to crouch down 5 inches to look through binos.

One last question, 63 inch is the max height with the legs spreaded out or with all 3 legs touching together like a monopod? Thanks!

I believe its with the legs spread out....you can gain more inches pushing them together....but if you want a taller tripod, you can get the calumet carbon fiber tripod i sell. Go to the cw store for more info on that one. Its a taller, stouter tripod.

I have the BIG Gitzo legs and love them for shooting off of... and for my big eyes...

I love the Promaster tripod I got from Amanda! The carbon fiber is definitely the way to go. I glassed from it on two hunts and we made a 454 yard shot off of it to boot. Very sturdy, lightweight, and just plain handsome! Once you hold it in your hands you'll have to have it!

DSCF1025.jpg