Sign in to follow this  
Bholmes

1st coues buck...Im Hooked!

I had never hunted deer before and decided to put in for whitetail deer unit 24b. It started the thursday night before the hunt, a buddy and I went out to a spot where he had shot his buck in an earlier hunt and seen another one in the area, After glassing for a couple hours we find two bucks and watch them until there is no light left in the binos. After sleeping about 2 hrs due to the fact that i couldn't wait to see if these two bucks were gonna still be there in the morning we head out to our spot sit around a few minutes until the sun starts to light the sky and out we go to start glassing for these two bucks we had found. After glassing for a few hours we find the two bucks about 1030 am or so at about 800 to 1000 yds, one is a 3x3 and the other a 2x2 , we watch a short time until they decide to bed down and the stalk is on. We head down a canyon and get ourselves in an awesome position about 100 yds on the rangefinder this hunt has been picture perfect everything has worked out awesome now we are 100 yds behind a tree and BOOM I miss needless to say the buck doesnt decide to stay in his bed but does stop about 20 yds later BOOM another miss and then the second buck appears and one more shot on the run and again a miss.. Now Im beating myself up bad and have to hike out of the mountain with my head held down I just missed my buck at 100 yds... We head out and meet up with some other friends to check out another place only to see a trophy bush just before dark that we dang near kill ourselves to get close to before dark :)

Day two begins and we find ourselves back on the same mountain as day one looking for my missed buck, a buddy of mine spots them across the canyon well over 1000 yards and we move to the other side of the canyon and start to head down the ridge where they were last seen only to find that another hunter is about 400 yds ahead of us closer to the deer we sit and glass for a bit only to see him take a shot and kill one of the bucks and we never see the second one. We decide to stay on this ridge and do some glassing we are now glassing the opposite side of the ridge and my buddy finds a buck bedded down under a tree at about 800 yds or so id guess...The stalk is on we head down toward the buck and get into position at about 120 yds right after getting into position a 3x jumps up and is gone with the quickness i think dam we got busted and about that time another buck stands up finger on the trigger ready to shoot my buddy confirms it with "it has horns" BOOM and this time it is good drops in his tracks! HOORAYS and a huge high five :D it was an awesome hunt and want to say a special thanks to all my buddys that helped, Levi, Cody and Max and cant forget "The Silver Goat" :P

post-8799-0-25934100-1352347542.jpg

post-8799-0-21170600-1352347575.jpg

post-8799-0-70356100-1352347592.jpg

post-8799-0-73720900-1352347609.jpg

Right on man congrats on the first coues!

Congratulations on your first coues buck. Sounds like you got a good spot and had lots of action. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

Way to go buddy!!! Great buck, hard work, and you truely get a feeling of accomplishment & satisfaction hunting coues deer! Congrats!

Gut Pile

Welcome to the site and Huge congrats on your first buck and new found addiction!

Once you see that buck hit the dirt for the first time all that hiking, glassing, and patience finally pays off and you're ready to do it all over again. Nice job.