ruffcountry

Who's ready for bear?

yes sir, i cant go until the 15th i just hope the season hasnt closed by then. best of luck to all those who are getting a head start.

I was planning on going on the opener in 27 ( went a couple of years ago and had a blast and even saw a few bruins), but now I am flying out to beautiful San Diego on Fri. the 11th and going Mako shark fishing for the weekend with a couple of buddies who live out there!! They called me last night and told me to buy a plane ticket and get my butt out there ASAP.. the shark and tuna fishing was beyond belief right now!! It was a toss up.. sweat my butt off in the scortching AZ heat and maybe see a bear, or head to the Cali shore for a couple of days in my buddies awesome boat, 75 degree temps, drink some cervezas, and haul in bull Makos and Dorados and yellowtail tuna till my arms fall off!! Hard choice! :P

taking my seven year old up to 6b to see some sign and hopefully pop a bear.It would be my first and it is his first time hunting with dad!good luck to all.

like DBarcher said, we will be out there!!!! im stoked!! this is my first bear hunt... i dont know why i am so pumped to go hunting.... o yeah! because its hunting thats why!!!! gotta get the 270 WSM pumped and ready to go!!!! im wondering if i should take out my predator slayer ( the OLD 270 of mine, my lion kiler)

im thinking by about 2 or 3 Daniel and i will be up to our arms in bear guts, i dont know if im going to be able to pack out my bear whole, i MIGHT have to actually cut it up! whos gonna fund my rug?

Were heading out in Oct. We will be in unit 24a. Heard they got some good country out there. Has any one heard anything more about the 2 bears killed by Game and Fish out there? One was suppose to be a huge bruin. Well if anyones headin out that way hit me up or stop by if you see my truck or quad with CouesWhiteTail.com sticker. Good luck to all.

Just got back from a quick scouting trip the afternoon. Lots of puddles and all the tanks caught water. Will try some varmint calling in the canyons.

Saw an F-250 abandoned in the middle of a muddy flat.

RR

Any of you experieced bear hunters care to talk about where and how to hunt bear. You don't have to give up your favorite honey hole , just your favorite type of terrain ,techniques.tactics , time of day ,etc. Anybody tried calling bear with a varmint call? I have never hunted bears before and I am looking forward to giving it a try.

I've killed two bears. Both I imagine by pure luck and just being in the right place at the right time. I killed them both right around 2:00 p.m. right in the middle of the heat of the day. They were both heading to a water hole within 1/2 mile from where I found them. Actually, they both found me. One of them was a big boy. He was an 1/8 away from making the all time book. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Don't know much else than bein' lucky. Maybe check some tanks and check for sign around them. Check for available food source as well.

Stop by and say hi if you spot my 05 dodge 2500 in red,lic plt reads "hedhntn".Where do I get my bumper sticker?

Any of you experieced bear hunters care to talk about where and how to hunt bear. You don't have to give up your favorite honey hole , just your favorite type of terrain ,techniques.tactics , time of day ,etc. Anybody tried calling bear with a varmint call? I have never hunted bears before and I am looking forward to giving it a try.

The main thing with bears is they are where the food is! The best is when the Prickly Pears are ripe, the bears will be in them and are easier to glass up. Glassing for them in these food sources is I feel the best tactic, but if they seem to be in thicker country, a varmint call works as well. With varmint calling, always have a big backstop such as a tree so they don't get ya from behind! I feel it's best to be close in to where you think a bear might be and blow loud and long on the call. I've seen them stop and start to turn around as soon as you stop calling. Keep calling as long as you can if you feel there is probably a bear in the area, at least 45 mins. An electronic caller is best for this because a mouth blown call will wear you out fast. A jackrabbit tape/call or a fawn in distress work well but make sure the wind is blowing in your face no matter what, one whiff and a bear will swap ends as fast as an Elk! Best of luck to ya, JIM>