Zim

Unit 1 Archery Elk

Wanted to get a current opinion of this hunt given the tag increase and fire recovery. We have 11 NR points and should have maybe ~30% chance this year due to the quota increaase.

I am fit and used to putting in miles, but during our last hunt there in 2002 with 150 archers there was no need to venture far. Elk were hardly pressured. Easy terrain & access. Are there even any areas to hike away far?

We had 1 as our goal to return for many years, but now wondering if it's a good use of points given these 2 recent major changes. We do not want to wait for units 9 nor 23. My partner does not want to backpack into 27. The only option seems to be unit 10. HF claims it took only 10 points last year, but TH says 13.

Awesome unit. They increased tags a few years ago. Will start taking a toll. Fire will only help. Can't go wrong getting an early archery tag in any of the 3 units you listed. I hunted 10 this year and had a blast. Good luck.

Unit #27 lost about 50% of its "green" real estate to hunt due to the Wallow Fire. Unit #1 might be more like 25% less huntable area due to the fire. This year it resulted in concentrating hunters more so and led to more hunter confrontations that many have reported. The calf crop did not increase as expected this year maybe due to fire stress from last year. Hopefully in future years we will see the increased calf crop that is expected with more forage now available from the fire.

"This year it resulted in concentrating hunters more so and led to more hunter confrontations that many have reported."

This is my #1 concern. And for 2013 the quota goes from 245 to 350. Yikes.

Why the increase? What was the success for the last hunt?

I looked up harvest success rate on HT in unit 1 and it has dropped steadily the last 5 years from 56% to 52% to 45% to 39% to 35%. Now even more tags! Yikes.

The bull:cow ratio is supposed to be managed for 40% and it was below that for 4 years until last year at 41%. I hardly think that warrants a 245 to 350 tag increase!

Didn't they up the tags in unit 3 right after the rodeo fire?

DesertBull: I've been interested in the pattern following the Rodeo fire. The Rodeo Chediski fire was the summer of 2002. Early bull archery tags in 3A/3C were as follows:

2001: 50 tags, 78% success

2002: 50 tags, 52% success (The fire was the summer of 2002)

2003: 50 tags, 68% success (34 bulls killed)

2004: 50 tags, 70% success (38 bulls killed)

2005: 90 tags, 74% success (67 bulls killed)

2006: 100 tags, 63% success (63 bulls killed)

2007: 100 tags, 62% success (55 bulls killed)

2008: 150 tags, 57% success (86 bulls killed)

2009: 150 tags, 32% success (46 bulls killed)

2010: 125 tags, 50% success (63 bulls killed)

2011: 125 tags, 29% success (35 bulls killed)

HF claims it took only 10 points last year, but TH says 13.

Zim....In their last issue, Huntin Fool is saying all the Unit 1 archery tags went to applicants with at least 11 points last year (2012).

According to Hunters Trailhead, at 11 points nonresident applicants have drawn in the max point pool (20% pass) every year for the past 5 years. The draw odds have ranged from 8% to 67%. HT says the odds were 21% in 2012.

There is apparently a report available at AZF&G, that the outfitters have access to, that specifically breaks out the nonresident odds. I wish I could get my hands on a copy.

HF claims it took only 10 points last year, but TH says 13.

Zim....In their last issue, Huntin Fool is saying all the Unit 1 archery tags went to applicants with at least 11 points last year (2012).

According to Hunters Trailhead, at 11 points nonresident applicants have drawn in the max point pool (20% pass) every year for the past 5 years. The draw odds have ranged from 8% to 67%. HT says the odds were 21% in 2012.

There is apparently a report available at AZF&G, that the outfitters have access to, that specifically breaks out the nonresident odds. I wish I could get my hands on a copy.

call the G&F and ask for the info There is a thing called Freedom of information act, you may have to pay for the info though

are you talking just NON-res applicants with at least 11 points? because i know for a fact that is not true of residents, for NONresidents i have no idea...

Didn't they up the tags in unit 3 right after the rodeo fire?

DesertBull: I've been interested in the pattern following the Rodeo fire. The Rodeo Chediski fire was the summer of 2002. Early bull archery tags in 3A/3C were as follows:

2001: 50 tags, 78% success

2002: 50 tags, 52% success (The fire was the summer of 2002)

2003: 50 tags, 68% success (34 bulls killed)

2004: 50 tags, 70% success (38 bulls killed)

2005: 90 tags, 74% success (67 bulls killed)

2006: 100 tags, 63% success (63 bulls killed)

2007: 100 tags, 62% success (55 bulls killed)

2008: 150 tags, 57% success (86 bulls killed)

2009: 150 tags, 32% success (46 bulls killed)

2010: 125 tags, 50% success (63 bulls killed)

2011: 125 tags, 29% success (35 bulls killed)

The tag numbers went up 3x. I don't put much faith in the success numbers since reporting your kill is not mandatory. The trend of lower success is probably accurate however.

I've read a lot of posts how much the quality has dropped off there.

"There is apparently a report available at AZF&G, that the outfitters have access to, that specifically breaks out the nonresident odds. I wish I could get my hands on a copy."

There is no report that breaks out res and nr, at the point level, on a per hunt basis (like our Oregon draw report). The report in question is not published for public consumption but breaks out res/nr, by 1st and 2nd choice, showing draw success, on a per hunt basis. It's usefulness is limited to showing the units which did not hit the 10% nr cap.

HF and Hunters Trailhead simply state the "minimum" number of points to be in the 20% pass. They have no solid idea at what point level the 10% cap is hit, other than to look for the break in draw success from the web report.