Sign in to follow this  
BowhunterAZ

Best GPS?

I am looking to buy a new GPS because I carefully placed

my old one in the woods somewhere and never found it again. I am looking at getting the garmin Oregon 450t. Does anyone else have this GPS and is it worth owning? If not what is your favorite GPS? I don't know anything about the new ones.

Android or iPhone period with a backup battery and small solar charger. The screen and choices for maps is miles beyond a hand held and when paired w a Bluetooth GPS receiver the signal is also far superior. Camera, games, and phone when u have a signal. ;)

All that being said i also have 5 Rino's so I can see where everyone is when we spread out.

• Like 1

I have the 450T and am happy with it, comes preloaded with maps of the US, has come in handy when I have been out of state. Is a little hard on batteries compared to my old Etrex, but it does a lot more.

I have the Garmin 530HCX and I think its awesome. Haven't had any experience with anything else besides the etrex though.

I bought the Garmin 450t used off this site from a guy in Texas for $100. I loaded a free topo map on it, from a website (can't remember the name). It has worked quite well. The screen brightness is dark in the sunlight. I had to go into the menu and turn off the colors. The white map shows up much better. It is a way better option than my old Magellan that didn't have map capability. I believe the newer Garmin models have fixed the dark screen issue.

Thank you everyone for the feedback! This gives me plenty to think about before I buy. I appreciate it!

I have a 62stc, it is pretty nice. It has a camera on it, I think 5mp. I like to use the camera for scouting. The pictures (along with routes, tracks, wpts) upload to Garmin's Base Camp. I like to make notes with the photos, makes scouting notes after the fact a lot easier. I used to use my camera and try to coordinate the image number with the wpts, but the unit does all that. I am probably to techy, but it is nice to reference one of the pictures to refresh my memory as to why I like that spot.

It also is really quick to get position and is pretty darn accurate in heavy tree canopy.

I don't know if it is the best GPS, but I like it. I'm not a big fan of Garmin's proprietary programing, but I like how you can go from the Map Source or Base Camp program to view your wpts or tracks in Google Earth. Plus, the fact a techy friend figured out how to get Map Source and Base Camp for free, but I think that loop hole was discovered and closed.

Cabelas now = Trimble, or Back Country both have BLM, reservation, private land boundries avalilable. MotionX is also very good.