Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

What would Jack do? To go plastic or to not go plastic......

I dont have any tupperware in my house. Don't own anything walnut with the hard plastic finish either. Natural oil finish on AAA walnut is what dreams are made of.

Mr. O'Connor had fine taste in rifles. When he started getting of social status, his rifles were very contemporary, and of high end design/manufacture. I do believe he would have something like a Kimber Montana, but more then likely he would have a NULA in 280AI, or something in 270wsm built on a CRD action.

"Jack killed his first deer in the Altar valley west of Tucson over 70 years ago with a surplus SMLE .303 british."

It must have been a lot more than just "over" 70 years ago. I shot my first deer in 1948 -- 65 years ago -- and O'Connor was my mother's English professor at the UA.

As for whether or not he would like a Tupperware stock, it's hard to say but I suspect he would suffer his proverbial "vapors" if forced to use one.

As for me, I have owned just one rifle stock made of that ugly stuff. It is on the .257 Weatherby I won at the Friends of NRA fund-raiser in Springerville last summer. I haven't opened the box, and may never open it until I can get around to restocking it with walnut.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

According to the Outdoor life's Deer Hunting Book Jack wrote a story that was in the Sept 1962 issue that he stated that he killed his first deer with a 30-40 Krag with a 30 inch barrel. I would't want to bet one way or the other as far as the plastics go but off that link that was posted his son Bradford said that he would.

I was a huge O'Conner fan in my youth and I think Jack would have checked out and tested the stocks but IMO he would have shot what he owned which was most likely solid walnut.

If it ain't wood, it ain't good.
X2

Why does the old dead dude get a say in the matter?

Decide what you like and go with that. You can always change a stock...

According to the Outdoor life's Deer Hunting Book Jack wrote a story that was in the Sept 1962 issue that he stated that he killed his first deer with a 30-40 Krag with a 30 inch barrel. I would't want to bet one way or the other as far as the plastics go but off that link that was posted his son Bradford said that he would.

I see no reason why he would not, after all when he was in contact with Sako I am sure he was aware that it was being built in the synthetic stock it came in.

I think Jack would stick to wood stocked guns. He's just that kinda guy. Nothing like a nice piece of Walnut.

I remember when the synthetic stock fad started years ago. I even bought one for my favorite hunting gun after I bashed up the stock with a few falls. I can see the appeal of synthetic. Cheap to manufacture, Impervious to weather, and lightweight. However, being lighter in weight, does not help with magnum calibers, unless you install a muzzle brake.

Look at the fine english rifles by makers such as , Holland & Holland, Purdey & Son's, Westley Richards etc. Some of these rifles exceed $100,000.00 in cost, and they use the finest Walnut on the planet, The stock work on these rifles can easily exceed 10 or 20 thousand dollars or more.

The burl wood blanks with the most character come from the bottom of the tree. These blanks are becoming harder to get, and are very costly. Circassian walnut, turkish, and the more Generic, California Walnut..

Kilimanjaro Custom Rifles in Montana has developed a "Stealth Laminated" Stock which is very ingenius.

Check out there rifles at http://kilimanjarorifles.com/