SilentButDeadly

1st Archery Kill

Here is my Coue's buck that I took this evening. I've had an eye on him since I found his sheds (in the photo) this spring. I got my chance today while I was out trying to fill my Javelina tag. I've been out of state for a couple of weeks and I was going to try and get the pig today and start looking for bucks tomorrow...

I spotted him and another buck at 150 yards, took off my shoes, put on my extra pair of wool socks and stalked to within 20 yards of both of them - I hunt in some thick country. I shot him quartering toward me, arrow through the chest and out the gut. He only made it about 50 yards before laying down forever.

He measures 104 gross, 96 net, 17inch main beams with a 16 inch inside spread.

Thanks to all the posters for their insight on these deer, it really helped me in my first kill.

Tyson

post-1107-1157957650_thumb.jpg

WOOOHOOOOO!!!

Your first archery kill AND you found his sheds for the year before AND spot and stalk.................that's just bad butt I don't care who you are!!!

I can only hope AND dream.

Congradulations!

:ph34r:

That is one beautiful, symetrical, unique and huge buck!!! Congrats!!

Not to take anything away from that buck you killed but it appears to me that he has digressed a little bit? Shorter G2's for instance.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to know the shed sets gross score using the same spread.

Congrats on a great job and a great deer.

Tyson, Thats one heck of a nice buck. Big congrats to ya ;)

He did lose a few inches from last year, his G2's on the sheds are both over 11", his current G2's are only 7.5 inches.

Before I had guessed his inside spread to be 12 inches, if he hadn't broken off his G3 I scored him at 110, so add another 4 inches and he would have gone 114.

I just used the Boone & Crockett measuring tool online with the measurements we took last night (we only took 3 circumference measurements - so he gains another 5 inches!).

He nets 101 6/8, with 3 6/8 in deductions. Subtract again for however much because he is in velvet.

Anyway I look at it I am super stoked! I'm on my way to the taxidermist soon - maybe that will cool my fire when I get the bill...

Tyson

post-1107-1157985674.jpg

post-1107-1157985785_thumb.jpg

The only problem with getting such a big buck for your first one is that now you're going to want a bigger one next time! Congrats on a fantastic buck! It takes a lot of skill to spot and stalk a big buck like that!

bowsniper

NICE JOB! I congratulate you on a job well done. I myself am trying to get my first coues, a deer of that caliber is something of which I have always dreamed. AWESOME!