Sign in to follow this  
2 Full Curls

Looking to buy a Diesel and would like your opinion

I'm putting my 1997 F350 460 out to pasture and want to get a newer diesel.

Over the past few months I have been doing a lot of research, talking to mechanics, and test driving; and still I'm not sure what truck to get.

Now I am coming to you guys for some opinions. And that's just what I want ....opinions.

This is a polarizing topic (Ford, Chevy or Dodge) so I understand the variance in answers that I might receive.

This is what I use my truck for:

1) Towing a travel trailer and quad/wood trailer into the woods for hunting season

2) Towing a 10,000 lb boat back and forth to the lake during the summer

3) Towing 2000 lbs of tree branches and yard trimmin's to the dump every month

I want my truck to handle the tow-load and still be able to do 65 mph going up hill with the ac running in the summer time. I'm looking for a truck with no more than 75K miles on it..so that puts me in the more recent-year models.

Everyone I know who has a Dodge swears by the Cummins. My mechanic is a Ford guy but says you can't beat an Allison transmission in a Chevy. I'm obviously a Ford guy but am afraid after the wide-spread problems associated with the 6.0 L produced from 2003-07. From what I read, the newer 6.4 and 6.7 Powerstrokes are good engines?

I know all three make good trucks and that you can always get a lemon...so putting that aside, please give me your opinions with details and reasons.

Thanks guys for the input in advance

Ford truck with a cummins motor and Allison. There ya go!!

I have a duramax. Love it. I would but a ford if the engine wasn't so jacked up.

2006 Duramax.

This is the 3rd generation duramax engine, the year they went to the 6 speed Allison and the last year before the EPA cracked down and made them put the re-gen cycles on. By far the best Duramax generation.

Speedy.

• Like 1

Any year Cummins would be great, any year 03+ newer durmax will be great! If you buy a newer diesel be sure to delete the emission parts off of it, I.e. the EGR, EGR Cooler, DPF, Urea etc. They will ruin your truck and clog it up with exhaust gas, and oil. I wouldn't be married to Ford Diesel Loyalism, many people have (including myself) and it has left many stranded. If you like driving your truck and not replacing head gaskets, injectors,oil coolers, rotating assembly, (major compoments that should not break under low mileage condistions) do not buy a Ford.

Stay away from the 6.4 but the new ford 6.7 is an awesome motor. I have a 2011 f250 with the 6.7 with 67000 miles and zero problems. The ONLY problem you will find regarding the 6.7 is from people who put less than desirable fuel in it. If water gets in the fuel system it is disastrous. There is a fuel water separator under the frame and i drain it regularly but have never had any water in it. I fill up at good stations.

I would go in this order, 2011 or newer ford, then gmc, then chevy, then dodge.

• Like 1

I agree with anyone regarding 2003-2010 fords but the newer ones are simply awesome. Ford left their contract with inernational and then navistar and went with an in house motor for the 6.7. If you havent driven or experienced the ford 6.7 first hand dont bash based on the older years fords. Also dont delete any emissions crap if you live in maricopa county. Not worth the headache.

How many fords are in the million mile club? I've never heard anyone in the Diesel community mention how excited they were to throw a powerstroke into their Dodge or GM, or any vehicle for that matter. However, there are several Cummins and Duramax swaps from 67 Cameros, Jaguars, Fords, Jeeps, Scouts you name it.

I have the 6.4 and if you can resist the urge to modify it mechanically in any way and you don't mind 13-15mpg in the city it can serve you well. If you are coming off a 460 gasser them the mileage should not bother you. This truck is my first 3/4 ton diesel so I don't have anything to compare it to but this truck is happiest when towing. I am the second owner of my truck but lucky enough my service advisor at the dealership has worked on it since day one. He even sat down with the original owner and help him order it. He is a good guy... he sees me and says "How is my baby?" Because of him I know all of the history and it has had all the 6.4 issues dealt with before I came along with the exception of the a/c compressor. That you cannot blame ford or the 6.4....it can happen to ANY car/truck. I asked my service advisor how the 6.7 series trucks are working out and he said "GREAT....all we do is change the oil.....it's kind of a boring truck for us"

I would trade for a 6.7 tomorrow if I could swing the money but only because it is a new truck. Other wise I will keep mine.

If you are going to buy a new one it pays to buy from a dealer who will pay for the oil changes. Mine will change the oil and rotate the tires every 5000 miles free for life=big savings!

More D

All the newer diesels (late model 10 and up)are good, gm has a better riding suspension than the other 2 and the interior lasts alot longer in my opinion. Ford had a few years of mishaps, the dura max in gm's first years was crap (but got fixed) the cummins has always been good I think but the dodge will beat your spleen outa your body and the interior falls apart, squeaks, rattles well before the engine quits. For all around vehicle reliability I'd go with the gm product.

I own an 02 F350 4x4 with 7.3 . Never had any problems pulling the toy hauler loaded . Just like anything else, do your maintenance accordingly oil-filter changes ,air- fuel filters, pay attention to your gauges, use cetane boost. Temps in Arizona are harsh on auto transmissions, replace transmission oil after hard pulls. It's cheaper than a transmission. Your transmission will thank you. The best thing--I don't owe the bank. Happy motoring!

I wouldn't drive an older Ford if it was given to me. The old Powerstrokes are way under powered (the ones I have driven anyways), they ride rough, although they do 4x4 well. The new, 6.7L Scorpion engine is a BEAST! I wish I could afford to own one.

I have a 2007 Dodge Cummins 5.9L with 105,500 miles on it. Best thing I ever did was buy the warranty when I bought the used truck. The truck runs great, but I have had some (major) work done including 2 tranny rebuilds, a new turbo installed, intermediate drive shaft replacement (3x) AC replacement. I do not abuse my truck, and I can count on one hand the times I have towed over 5,000 pounds with it. My dad has the same truck, half the miles and none of the problems. I bought mine used, he bought his brand new. Good trucks, but Chrysler needs a new transmission.

For what it's worth, I'm a die hard ford guy. I just bought the brand new ram 2500 6.7 diesel. I test drove the heck out of all 3 and they all have the same power feel and specs were close. But ford really made me feel let down with the lack of upgrades to their trucks, 2012 looked almost identical to my 06. And the friends that own the new power stroke really didn't "love" anything about them. The gmc's were nice but with the new rigid frames, you can't keep your tires on the ground when the truck gets a little twisted up off roading. I've had to rescue my buddy 3 times from getting stuck in little washes. Huge fail IMO for gmc. The 2009+ rams are power houses with the automatic, the jake brake built in is amazing when towing my big camper and boat, I have yet to brake coming down a hill at any speed. It pulls ever hill I've hit at any speed I want and the mileage is quite a bit better than my 06 ford when towing, and about the same empty. The interior on my new longhorn is the nicest I've ever seen in a truck as well.

Those are the deciding factors that put me into the new ram. Good luck on finding a new truck!