Sign in to follow this  
2 Full Curls

Looking to buy a Diesel and would like your opinion

Another Ram owner here. I bought the heaviest duty truck Dodge sold in 2006, 3500, 6SP manual, quad cab, long bed, SRW, 4WD shifter on floor.

Great truck, gets great fuel economy city or highway. No chip or lift kit. I did put 285's on it. Rides like a tank but it's a truck. I have had only one problem with it since I bought it new. The tach has gone out, common problem with 06's. Going to have to replace the instrument panel.

I'm on my 3rd Chevy Duramax. I have taken the previous 2 from right off the lot and onto the farm. I put 200,000 HARD miles on both of them before retiring them. They have been excellent trucks with no major breakdowns. I use my truck to pull 12,000 lb trailers full of seed, combine headers, fertilizer trailers, etc. I also pull my camp trailer up to the mountains without a second thought and a boat down the beach in Mexico.

I know it's a hot topic but for me the proof is in my history. When the government bailed out GM I was so ticked I bought my wife a Ford Expedition instead of a Suburban. Been regretting it everyday.

Just my two cents.

I'm on my 3rd Chevy Duramax. I have taken the previous 2 from right off the lot and onto the farm. I put 200,000 HARD miles on both of them before retiring them. They have been excellent trucks with no major breakdowns. I use my truck to pull 12,000 lb trailers full of seed, combine headers, fertilizer trailers, etc. I also pull my camp trailer up to the mountains without a second thought and a boat down the beach in Mexico.I know it's a hot topic but for me the proof is in my history. When the government bailed out GM I was so ticked I bought my wife a Ford Expedition instead of a Suburban. Been regretting it everyday.Just my two cents.
That's what I'm talkin about! Did a similar thing. Sold my 06 duramax with 50,000 miles. (DUMB A**!!!) bought an 06 Ford. Soon as I bought the ford I regretted it. Kept it 2 months and sold it and bought another duramax. Fewww... What a relief!

I don't know anybody that hates their Duramax. I'm sure their our there. But ALL my buddies that have the power stroke pour thousands of dollars into the engine. For me cummins are to loud. Can't hear myself think. But everybody's different.

I have had 06 Duramax and loved the diesel but the truck had some issues. The front end on the 2006 Chevys are a weak set up with the way the front hubs mount. Mine went out twice in 40,000 miles. Other than that it was a great truck. Sold the Duramax and bought a 2010 Dodge Cummins Mega Cab. The truck was great but the engine was s h i t to put it simple. fuel millage was terrible, turbo problems, EGR problems, lack of power problems, Check engine light problems, just to name a few. Traded it in on a new 2012 Dodge Cummins mega cab and have not had any problems with it so far with 20,000 miles on it. It is the best running diesel I have had to date. I have not had it in for repair yet but I do have a few rattles in the cab I need to get fixed. Keep in mind though my trucks are used more on gravel roads with pot holes and wash boards more so than most other people do. MPG on all three of these truck averaged 12-13 in town and 15 on the Duramax out of town and 18+ for the 2012 Cummins out of town. When I pull my 5'er the MPG drops under 10 mpg for all 3 of the trucks, both Cummins and the Duramax. Good luck on whatever you buy.

I bought my first diesel pickup in 1994 and have never had anything other than a diesel since. Any Dodge, Ford or Chevy will do what you want . I like the Ford 6.7 the best. The best engine in a Ford since the 7.3.... it is a hoss !!! Plus IMO they are the best looking truck on the road. The key to owning a big diesel pickup is "maintnance" use good oil and filters, change the trans oil every 25,000 miles make sure you have ELC coolant in the ratiator to prevent cavitation of aluminum componets, buy good diesel fuel buy from a truckstop or from a place that sells alot of fuel. They cost alot of money today so take care of it and it will last for a very long time. MAINTANCE !!!

• Like 1

I hate to rain on the brand loyist parade but its worth noteing that every brand discussed in this thread had been the best truck somes ones ever owned or the worst. It comes down to maintenance and dumb luck and exepting that a diesel is more expensive to keep on the road.

For what ever my opinion is worth but i am a diesel mechanic.

• Like 2

If you want to get down to brass tacks, the 5.0 in the vw tourage out pulls the power stroke, and coat of ownership( engine related is next to nothing) the new 3.0 they have is a beast!! Only prolbem is, it's not a full frame.

255K on a Y2K F250. Original tranny, put in a fuel injector, alternator, two H2O pumps, radiator and lots of tires.

255K on a Y2K F250. Original tranny, put in a fuel injector, alternator, two H2O pumps, radiator and lots of tires.
what kind of coolant do you run /how often do you change your coolant filer?

I have a 1999 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins. when I tow my 30' travel trailer, it get's great mileage. From Tucson to Happy Jack North bound on the 17 the hills get pretty nasty. The lowest it dropped to was right under 10mpg. Towing my 30'er from Tucson down south to 36b. I was getting 14-15 all day long. You just cant beat the mileage the Cummins gets. Not even with a stick. I have ridden with my bro in law in his 2004 Ford F-250 with the power stroke. Nice looking truck, but his mileage blew with out towing anything. Aside from that, after a long road trip, it felt like someone broke a 2x4 over my back. I bought my truck in Denver and drove it back to Tucson. Several trips to Southern Cali, Vegas, Rocky Point. I have driven this truck for 12+ hours and it is extremely comfortable. And it's a 1999. Good Luck. :D

More torque in the 5.0 v10 vw than power stroke, that is if the vw had an actual frame and a decent trans behind it, engine for engine, the vw is better.

Yeah ok??? 553 ft lbs in the vw is more than the 800 ft lbs in the powerstroke?? You fail simple math or what??