Sign in to follow this  
Siwash

AZ to MT Archery Elk Logistics

I was fortunate to draw an archery elk permit in MT for Unit 410-15. I am also really fortunate to know a MT biologist who works in the unit everyday. My trip will be 100% DIY, minus insight and help from my friend who lives and works up there.

Can anyone offer any advice or experience on planning for traveling there to hunt? I'd prefer to drive but life/time/money might dictate an airplane flight.

How many members have traveled to MT to hunt? Did you fly? Did you drive? If you were successful how did you transport head/meat?

Thanks if anyone can comment.

Which weeks are you going up? I'm headed up to Missoula Sept 22-28. Planning on driving. Mesa gateway had some cheap flights to Montana when I checked a few months ago.

There was a really great article on this in bugle mag, see if you can search it online? It was all about the pros and cons and ins and outts of travelling road vs flying. If not let me know and I could paraphrase it minus the illustrations. There is Lot to it with trophy plus meat and gear and alll that

Yeah you might have to buy two tickets for them lol

I plan on going up next year if not drawn here. Hauling mules up so flying may be too costly for me.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you. A Montana archery elk hunt is likely in my future plans next year or 2015 and a little advance scouting on logistics never hurt.

Initially I would think flying would be the least costly however if you succeed the price of shipping the meat and head back could get pricey. If you have the time drive and enjoy the ride, take some empty coolers and a target. Watch for speed goats across Wyoming. Best of Luck on your hunt.

did the trip to Wy in 03, drove and brought back 2 elk, believe we had $800 total in gas, food and celebration libations on a 14 day trip.

3 years ago did a Montana elk hunt (guided). Flew Aligent out of Mesa Gateway.... that airline will try to suck every dollar out of you (charge for a assigned seat, charge to book on line, etc).....not sure what is the closest city to your unit. I flew into Missoula .

Killed a bull, gave about half of the meat to the guide and outfitter. Bought two ice chests and weighed them with dry ice to right at the max pounds. Checked them as luggage and everything was fine.

I could not drive because of time... flying was easy and quick and gas prices were high that summer so it was cheaper also.

Good luck

Guest akaspecials

If you have the time, drive. It makes logisitic ten times easier, but it costs you a few days. I don't have the time to drive anymore, so I fly. My work sends me all over the United States too, so I get to fly on thier dime and hunt some pretty cool places.

If you fly, buy a good SKB case. You can pack all your gear (including meat duffels) into the case around your bow and save bringing multiple bags. Then carry on your hunting day pack loaded with anything else. Also, make a list of what you will really need and sift through it 5 or 6 times. I finally have my essential list down to pretty much a sleeping bag, maps, knife, sharpener, and game bags. (A bone saw maybe nice on an elk too but I do deer and smaller with just my knife.) Give up some comfort, and think basics. It will make life a lot easier when you're traveling by air.

Another option is to pony up a few hundred extra bucks and fly first class. You get 3 bags with no weight limit on most airlines. It's been cheaper for me to fly first class than pay all the baggage fees before. Also, any of the "low cost" airlines will charge you an arm and a leg to bring any bags, so sometimes the more expensive airlines are actually cheaper.

If you fly, be sure to make a food lists and have all your meals planned. As soon as you get off the plane hit up a local grocery instead of trying to deal with flying any food. Also think about how you're gonna cook. Sometimes a 10 dollar one burner propane stove or a disposable charcoal grill is really all you need. I end up leaving a lot of that kind of stuff in a dumpster or giving it to the hotel maids before I fly home.

Meat preperatiion is probably the hardest thing. I've butchered deer sized game and smaller in hotel rooms. (Some funny stories with that one...) Make sure you leave the hide in the field and don't get any hair or dirt on the meat. Use bleach to clean the bath tub before and after and have some draino on hand for when you plug up the drain. With an elk, debone it in the field and tackle it one quarter at a time. Take you're time, do your cuts right, and you'll have minimal processing when you get home. Also, be prepared for you're buddies to mention non stop how much of a hillbilly you are....

I get cheap styofoam coolers from walmart and let the meat age on ice until I'm ready to pack up. At that point I triple ziplock bag them and put them inside a sleeping bag in a duffel bag with dry ice packed in between them. If I don't want the meat to freeze, I throw the dry ice inside a pair of jeans or something. If I want to freeze the meat before I travel, I'll empty the regular ice out of the cooler and just put dry ice in them to freeze the meat solid before loading it into a sleeping bad. Most airlines limit you to 5.5 lbs dry ice, so be careful. If you have any connections I reccomend freezing the meat solid first.

Also, if you have the funds or aren't 100% comfortable butchering, a good meat processer may be worth the money to save you the hassle.

One other downside is getting a vehicle. Keep in mind that if you have to rent a car you are screwed if it rains on back roads, you need high clearance, or you need a hard shelter to sleep in. You may want to specifically look to borrow a truck from your buddy or hunt in areas that you can park and walk into. Also, I've fit a cow elk in a NIssan Sentra, but it's not pretty. I can't imagine dicking with antlers on a car... Just something to keep in mind.

I think I hit the basics, but feel free to ask if you have any other questions! Good luck!

If you have the time, drive. It makes logisitic ten times easier, but it costs you a few days. I don't have the time to drive anymore, so I fly. My work sends me all over the United States too, so I get to fly on thier dime and hunt some pretty cool places.

If you fly, buy a good SKB case. You can pack all your gear (including meat duffels) into the case around your bow and save bringing multiple bags. Then carry on your hunting day pack loaded with anything else. Also, make a list of what you will really need and sift through it 5 or 6 times. I finally have my essential list down to pretty much a sleeping bag, maps, knife, sharpener, and game bags. (A bone saw maybe nice on an elk too but I do deer and smaller with just my knife.) Give up some comfort, and think basics. It will make life a lot easier when you're traveling by air.

Another option is to pony up a few hundred extra bucks and fly first class. You get 3 bags with no weight limit on most airlines. It's been cheaper for me to fly first class than pay all the baggage fees before. Also, any of the "low cost" airlines will charge you an arm and a leg to bring any bags, so sometimes the more expensive airlines are actually cheaper.

If you fly, be sure to make a food lists and have all your meals planned. As soon as you get off the plane hit up a local grocery instead of trying to deal with flying any food. Also think about how you're gonna cook. Sometimes a 10 dollar one burner propane stove or a disposable charcoal grill is really all you need. I end up leaving a lot of that kind of stuff in a dumpster or giving it to the hotel maids before I fly home.

Meat preperatiion is probably the hardest thing. I've butchered deer sized game and smaller in hotel rooms. (Some funny stories with that one...) Make sure you leave the hide in the field and don't get any hair or dirt on the meat. Use bleach to clean the bath tub before and after and have some draino on hand for when you plug up the drain. With an elk, debone it in the field and tackle it one quarter at a time. Take you're time, do your cuts right, and you'll have minimal processing when you get home. Also, be prepared for you're buddies to mention non stop how much of a hillbilly you are....

I get cheap styofoam coolers from walmart and let the meat age on ice until I'm ready to pack up. At that point I triple ziplock bag them and put them inside a sleeping bag in a duffel bag with dry ice packed in between them. If I don't want the meat to freeze, I throw the dry ice inside a pair of jeans or something. If I want to freeze the meat before I travel, I'll empty the regular ice out of the cooler and just put dry ice in them to freeze the meat solid before loading it into a sleeping bad. Most airlines limit you to 5.5 lbs dry ice, so be careful. If you have any connections I reccomend freezing the meat solid first.

Also, if you have the funds or aren't 100% comfortable butchering, a good meat processer may be worth the money to save you the hassle.

One other downside is getting a vehicle. Keep in mind that if you have to rent a car you are screwed if it rains on back roads, you need high clearance, or you need a hard shelter to sleep in. You may want to specifically look to borrow a truck from your buddy or hunt in areas that you can park and walk into. Also, I've fit a cow elk in a NIssan Sentra, but it's not pretty. I can't imagine dicking with antlers on a car... Just something to keep in mind.

I think I hit the basics, but feel free to ask if you have any other questions! Good luck!

Incredibly valuable information, thanks for sharing. Personally I wouldn't try to butcher an elk on my own. If I had a friend with me I might, but in my experience that type of task, which should be pure joy, turns to stress and hard work when you are by yourself. Ditto that on packing an elk out of the field solo, but I may have just signed myself up for that one :)

I'm fortunate to have employment that allows me to work "remote," so I may actually drive up there, try to rent a shack somewhere in my unit for a month and just takes days off here and there to hunt. I may also try to coordinate driving up there with another member from here who has a guided hunt. My last resort would be an airplane, but it might be the only way to do it if other factors come into play with life and work.

Thanks again to everyone who replied. As the planning progresses I'll share my experience.

Is that the hunt over by Lewistown?

I have driven back and forth to Montana a handful of times, but mostly working for the summer. It will cost you $400 in fuel one way approx. and about 20 hours drive time or more approx. It take me 2 days to get there pulling my smaller 5th wheel. Going through Salt Lake Traffic, is always a white knuckle affair.

Billings is the closest major airport to that unit, I think?

As far as meat, you can always donate a bunch to the Hunters for the hungry program? Local butchers will know how to help.

If it was me, and i had the time, I would drive. You can bring whatever you want, don't have to rent a vehicle, or rely on anyone else.