Sign in to follow this  
Bownut98

Spring Bear hunt

So, new cwt, but i have a tag for this spring bear hunt down south and I wanted to get peoples opinions on what to do about other peoples tree stands......two years ago I had this same problem but it wasnt as bad, and I never had a confruntation with anybody about it, but was always worried about it. earlier in the spring I spent 3 days and hiked all over the wachucas (sp?) and found alot of water sources, and a some had a few had tree stands...... I wantd to hike my stands in to a couple of them during the hunt, but their stands are still there. I would like to hunt there, but I feel like they own that spot even though is forest land. I wouldnt even mind hiking my stand in each day, moving thiers and setting mine up, then putting thiers back up wen i leave. if thats what it takes to not cause an argument. I have almost a 5 hour drive from phx and dont wanna get set up ambushing a water hole, when some guy comes and yells at me that Im in his spot. i know people get touchy if you touch thier stuff, or even use it..... i thot about leaving a note asking (or telling) if i could hunt there.... looking for suggestions......

I think you will find that most if not all the tree stands are up for Deer Season. I highly doubt that you will have any problems sitting in or around their tree stands. When I put up a tree stand I am ok if someone sits in it if I'm not there. Find a water source with good sign and sit it for as many days as you can. Good Luck!

Yea, thats a good point about not takin others down. my thot there was, if im sitten in there stand, they kinda have the right to tell me to leave......... but if im in my own stand, i would feel more comfortable to stay if somebody came. The thing is, theyve usually picked out the best tree/location for a stand on a water/spring/trail.... as opposed to picking a different tree...

• Like 1

If the stand has been there for over a year, call forest service and they will come remove it.

The written Rule might be 1 day... But they are only enforcing chronic violators... Not enough man power.

Yup AzLance... Birders snached one by reporting to FS... Guess I shouldnt have left it hanging for the winter...

49.00 cheepy so no big loss...

If FS took it, they keep it a while before getting rid of it. If you call, and describe it they will give it back.

I dont really wanna turn in anyone to the forest service, but i just dont wanna get into any kinda argument with someone. I do wonder how many of these stands are more meant for deer, though. i assumed they were mostly for bears, but who knows......

Guest akaspecials
I dont really wanna turn in anyone to the forest service, but i just dont wanna get into any kinda argument with someone. I do wonder how many of these stands are more meant for deer, though. i assumed they were mostly for bears, but who knows......

I guarantee most are for deer. I have a 23 N spring bear tag and have found 15+ stands in the past few weeks and there are only 50 tags in the unit for bear. I'm hard pressed to believe that I have run into that many bear hunter's stands. Most hunters only have one or two stands, if any. They are probably deer stands that people are too lazy to take out of the woods after the hunt... I'd sit them and just explain myself if anyone came up. Most people are chill as long as you aren't confrontational back. I wouldn't take some one's down unless it was clearly abandoned though (like rusted through and clearly from the 1970's). I'd be pissed to find my stand on the ground and another guy in "my tree". I'd rather see him in my stand personally. Always have a plan b to move to though!

I have the same hunt and also hunted it last year. There are tree stands in those mountains that have been there for years. Hunt where you want to. Most of the tree stands are chained to the tree so it would be hard and probably wrong to move them. I just use a different tree or a different spot on the same tree. You can also use a ground blind. We all know the rules about tree stands and waterholes. I think some of the stands and cameras in those mountains are used for the early over the counter hunt and you wont see anyone there during the draw hunt. As for arguments, I set up a ground blind on the last day, last year, on a water source that is clearly marked on most maps and has cameras and stands on it. Was in my blind at 430 am, sat all day, and that evening had a guy walk right by my truck, hiked in, and stood behind my ground blind insulting me until I came out and had a argument on "how lazy I was", "how I used other people's equipment to scout", etc. Not only did he ruin my last day hunt by yelling for a half hour but he dang near made me not draw that hunt this year. I invited him to hunt with me on the same spring; told him he was welcome to take down his stuff; anything he wanted to do; just shut up and let me hunt but he just went on and on.

Sorry to paint a bad picture but those mountains get hunted pretty hard and you are going to have a hard time finding a water source that is unknown to someone and has no evidence of hunter's on it. Just remember the first come, first one to hunt rule and have fun. Kill a bear.

Brent

Ps: you might carry a copy of the forest service and fish and game rules with you. I do, not that it will helped much, but it gives me the satisfaction that I am in the right doing what I do.

I guarantee most are for deer. I have a 23 N spring bear tag and have found 15+ stands in the past few weeks and there are only 50 tags in the unit for bear. I'm hard pressed to believe that I have run into that many bear hunter's stands. Most hunters only have one or two stands, if any. They are probably deer stands that people are too lazy to take out of the woods after the hunt... I'd sit them and just explain myself if anyone came up. Most people are chill as long as you aren't confrontational back. I wouldn't take some one's down unless it was clearly abandoned though (like rusted through and clearly from the 1970's). I'd be pissed to find my stand on the ground and another guy in "my tree". I'd rather see him in my stand personally. Always have a plan b to move to though!

I never ran into another bear hunter on that hunt in two straight years, but also found a number of tree stands. Did you find any fresh bear sign in 23N with all of your exploration yet?

If they have a trail camera set up right now the odds are good that its a bear hunter. But not always . So I would leave a note for them and see what happens.

Cole

If someone got to my stand first I would not be happy but first come first serve. As long as they were NOT being stupid and damaging it. Heck, offer em $20...