Sign in to follow this  
Pixman

2nd attempt at coloring sheds

Well I colored a few more of my white sheds and really like how this one turned out!

Before

post-4217-0-67729600-1368937134_thumb.jpg

After

post-4217-0-82019900-1368937152_thumb.jpg

How did you do it

X2

X3

How did you do it

X2

X3

Ok the first time I tried it I used dirt from my backyard, this time I took a bucket and brought home some dirt from up north that is a little darker and would be more the color that they are from. So I mix up some mud and make it a litlle clumpy so it will stick to the antlers(not too runny) and rub it on antler and coat the antler avoiding the bases of course. Let the mud dry on the antler for at least 24 hours. rub and brush off all the mud and wipe with a cloth to get dust off. Use a rag and Old English lemon oil and rub all over the antler and let dry. It is fairly simple but it takes a couple days to complete because of drying. If it seems light colored I will re-apply the mud and let dry again. Good luck!

Pixman

Good job and thanks for sharing. I tried years ago but didn't use the dirt. Yours definitely came out better than mine. :)

TJ

Always good to hear of a good home remedy, looks great.

Would you consider the antler in the picture to be a hard white maybe one or two years old or is it a chalk white??

Just curious, looks really good.

Know that is a brown from this year ;) LOL

Always good to hear of a good home remedy, looks great.

Would you consider the antler in the picture to be a hard white maybe one or two years old or is it a chalk white??

Just curious, looks really good.

I would say it is a hard white 2-3 years old. Now it is sitting on my computer desk looking like a brown, lol. I am in the middle of coloring an elk shed if it looks good I wil post a pic, if not I will pretend I didn't attempt to color it.