Sign in to follow this  
Scooter

What would you do???

I drew a late archery bull tag in 22N. I know the area a little, I have maps and a GPS. I've seen some Elk there- but this is my first elk tag ever. I don't know anyone else with that tag personally. I am looking at hunting the entire time, and probably truck/tent camping until I find elk then going bivy for the chase if it lasts a few days.

I just wondered how many of you actually go full solo. I'm coming up from Ft Huachuca, alone. What do you guys think, try to find people on here and team up or just go all Jeremiah Johnson?

My concerns are safety, sanity, success, and pack out...

There are pro and cons for either choice. I prefer hunting alone as it gives me full accountability if....I mean...when I screw up a stalk! lol

But I have to be honest, it can be down right boring not seeing another soul for several days. No so much while hunting, but back at camp. Eating alone, not being able to converse with others, share info and no camaraderie can test your sanity after a few days in the woods. When you start talking to Mr Squirrel, it's time to head into town to refresh with a shower, good meal and recharge yourself.

Safety? I've never felt "unsafe", but I never put myself in a precarious position. I usually err on the side of caution. I'll take a half mile detour around a canyon to get on the other side, rather than scramble a rock face. But snapping an ankle alone can get you in trouble quick.

Pack out? There are a lot of good hunters out there. Bet some one would help you out if you find yourself in a bind. If you get one down, get a good pack frame and pace yourself. It's the late hunt, so meat spoilage isn't as big a concern compared to a Sept hunt.

Good luck and hope it all comes together!

I have been on 3 solo elk hunts and enjoyed each one. The most recent was last December. I drew a unit 10 late bull tag and my son and all my other hunting partners had whitetail tags for SE AZ . I drove into unit 10 on 35 miles of dirt roads and camped. I scouted 3 days, hunted 4 days and packed meat and antlers for 2 days. It was great! Even better than great when you are 60!

As to your question of safety, I feel safe when I am out and carry a SPOT if something happens. I also found that I had better cell phone reception with the on-star feature in my truck than my i-phone. As far as success, I think that I hunt better solo than with a partner. Success is totally up to you and the decisions that you make. Sanity is optional or at least questionable when you are hunting elk solo. Only you can be the judge if you are up for it. If I were you I would give it a try!

• Like 1

I have elk hunted solo a fair amount, but haven't had to pack one out by myself. You can always hunt solo yet have some friends that are willing to come help pack it out if you get one down. Or maybe pay someone with horses to pack it out after you kill. SPOT messenger system is a good one for extra safety. It can send msgs to your family that you are OK and it can also summon emergency medical help.

Hunt is tough without prior scouting IMO. Make sure you scout, find water, and pattern the routes.

Pm sent

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm in pretty good shape physically, I am in the military so my navigation and survival skills are adequate, decent shot with my bow out to 50yds or so, and I've been going for lots of walks with my pack. I have been wearing my big internal frame pack and putting about 60-70lbs in there for short hikes and 50lbs for 4 mile and longer walks. The terrain in the Huachucas is pretty challenging so I have no doubt I'll be physically ready for November.

It's the mental part I'm worried about. I operate best when there's somebody else there pushing me to plan, act, and most of all- focus. I would wager a fair amount of money that after about three or four days if I don't see any elk, I will start to regress. This late archery tag is a long season- and I'm hunting every day of it until I get my first Bull elk. It will probably be my only bull elk for a LONG time if not my lifetime. I will probably get reassigned back east sometime next spring and who knows when I'll get back here.

I guess maybe I should have said that I don't need hunting advice for 22N, I'll find my own bull. I just wonder what some of you solo bivy hunters do to keep sane and keep focused on a tough hunt.

I solo hunt most of the time and when times get tough, I pull out a book and read for fifteen to twenty minutes. It can take your mind off of things for a short period, which may allow you to realign your focus. Reflection is also key, meaning take the time to realize exactly where you are and the wonderful task at hand. Many Blessings on a fantastic time in the field!

Just as what has been said. It can be a tough hunt if you don't already have a game plan and know where to be (unless luck is on your side haha) I have found that the pack out is never easy.... when I am with a hunting partner and have pushed them hard I usually pack out alone anyway. I always make it a point to hunt with someone but see where you are coming from and you should be fine. Just don't put yourself in dumb situations..."Attention to Detail" is a phrase you might be familiar with ;)

Let us know how it goes for you!

• Like 1

most of my hunting is by myself, don't mind it except at night in camp, wouldn't mind someone to bs with before hitting the rack, no fun making multiple trips to pack out game and camp, but that is part of the deal too. When by yourself take the long cuts, easy ways, anything you can do to reduce the chance of an accident, at least that's what I do nowadays.

• Like 1

Scooter,

I have done many solo hunts, you being new to this you have to start out with the mentality no one will be around.

when you are alone just hunt all day. unlike what others have said this can be an amazing hunt you might even get into some great elk bugling this late In the season I have had this hunt and helped others If It's dry water can be awesome, but not for me If It's cold and wet still hunt.To get over being by yourself after you fill your pack up for the next day and eat.sometimes I bring a tv/dvd combo and watch a movie.It will take your mind off of being alone some of my best hunts have been solo.

Seldom Drawn

• Like 1

I do most of my hunts solo. As stated elsewhere, you have half the chance of screwing up and only half the human scent without a buddy around. However, it is nice to have someone around for safety and sharing the work load. I had that hunt last year and sat water for two days...very boring, but did have a bull come in, but I scared him off while drawing back my bow. You should do well.

• Like 1

I have found hunting alone I'm become more of a predator, don't have to worry about someone breaking a branch, smelling more then I allready do or talking instead of listening. I have taken my kids hunting every year and its amazing how much more you hear and see without someone.

I get what you say about talk around camp fire, but its funny how you drink less beer and go to bed a lot earlier then someone else in camp.

Point is enjoy your alone time and solve the world problems in your head, have fun and be safe

Great stuff... Keep those "sanity checks" coming!!!

I hunt alone 95% of the time. I hunt much better when alone, up and out earlier and to bed earlier. I do often get lonely and miss my family, I try and embrace those feelings and remember them. I also take a note pad because sometimes when your alone and your thought are clear you really realize what matters and want to remember it. When I do hunt with my family I spend most of my time making sure they have a good hunt, so in that respect my hunt suffers. If you kill something, well you have your work cut out for you. But then again it's your hunt and hard work is always part of it.

• Like 1