capoeirajosh

trail cam opinions

I am new to trail cameras, but am very interested in acquiring some in the future. What are some good makes and models to look into? Not looking for anything crazy expensive. Also, not looking for the cheapest thing out there. Just some solid and reliable trail cams.

Add the expense of security boxes. I do everything I can to protect mine but doesn't even surprise me if they've been stolen. I've had 2 $200 cams stolen. On recomendation of a buddy I now just use the $50 tasko with a homemade lock box that costs about $15 to make. This way I can have more cams out and it hurts less if stolen. Pic quality is fine for what I need. Battery life is very important IMO. I've used moultrie, primos, and tasco and all have done what they're supposed to.

• Like 1

I'm a fan of the cheaper wild game innovations. I don't need most of the fancy features and I can get more for the money.

Everyone has their preference just like a rifle. I hunt on a budget every year and really like the primos line of cameras. Some people rolls their eyes when they see "primos" but i have been impressed with their cams. Durable, great pic resolution, not too expensive and I like the sensor radius. I bought my first one in 09' and still have the same one out today. I have since bought 3 others. I am sure there are better models but have yet to have an issue with any of them. Even had a bear pop a hole on the lens protector and it was still taking good pics. With these you are looking at $80-$200 depending on how fancy you want to get. Pm me if you want to see some examples of the pics. Good luck to you.

Wild view trail cams can be bought on eBay for $35... This way I can get a bunch out there, and not worry about getting them stolen. Coverts are nice nice too, but it will make you cry when you find it stolen.

But with the price of gas now, I am leaning towards the Buckeye system. Very reliable, works on Verizon, and sends me pics within minutes of the activation. The batteries last form 7-8 months... So all I do now is sit back and watch the show. Cheaper in the long run, when you figure in batteries, gas, and my time...

Wild view trail cams can be bought on eBay for $35... This way I can get a bunch out there, and not worry about getting them stolen. Coverts are nice nice too, but it will make you cry when you find it stolen.

But with the price of gas now, I am leaning towards the Buckeye system. Very reliable, works on Verizon, and sends me pics within minutes of the activation. The batteries last form 7-8 months... So all I do now is sit back and watch the show. Cheaper in the long run, when you figure in batteries, gas, and my time...

Not to hijack the thread but how much did those buckeyes run you? I like the sound of that and have Verizon

Wild view trail cams can be bought on eBay for $35... This way I can get a bunch out there, and not worry about getting them stolen. Coverts are nice nice too, but it will make you cry when you find it stolen.But with the price of gas now, I am leaning towards the Buckeye system. Very reliable, works on Verizon, and sends me pics within minutes of the activation. The batteries last form 7-8 months... So all I do now is sit back and watch the show. Cheaper in the long run, when you figure in batteries, gas, and my time...

Do you put lock boxes on all of them? Do these things get stolen pretty regularly?

I do not lock the Buckeyes. I camouflage them so well, no one finds them.

Start up for Buckeyes was around $3,000, that is a cell base, and 3 cameras. You can add up to 30 cameras per cell base. Each additional cam is around $500

Lots of good cameras out there now, many under $100. I like the coverts, but I don't like little I-pod looking programmers that you have to use with them. I've got 3 or so, and it seems each one has to have its own programmer. Moultrie M-80 is a good camera with features like the plot-stalker if you want to cover more area than the IR trigger will accommodate.

The smaller Bushnells take good pix too.

These days, the box you put it in is probably as important as the camera itself. I build my own, and tailor each to the kind of place I'm going to put the camera. If it's an area with decent traffic, you're gonna have to cut out a big chunk of tree to get it out.

Of course, with battery-powered cut-off wheels, just about any steel box can be defeated. That's why I usually use cams under $100, a good box welded out of scrap steel and get them in places that are a good hike in. I don't need the stress of a $400 camera in a place where it can be taken.

I really like the coverts sold here on cwt but I also agree with Coach that any camera can be taken with a battery pack grinder. I have had a couple taken and it really pisses me of. I wish I could continue putting out covert cameras but the cheap wild view cameras make better sense. I know a person in the Payson area who has been stealing cameras and equipment. He has also admitted to the Sheriff Office he has been doing this for many years. My friend actually caught him, his wife, and young son with his blind, 2 cameras, feeder, and chair on their quad while trying to get away. The thief is well known in the Payson area and his Dad runs a well known business. The Tonto National Forest and the Sheriff Office are pursuing charges as we speak against this scum bag. I will post his picture as soon as I get the ok.

TJ

I like the coverts as well. The newer models dont have the remotes for the programming. I just purchased 2 of the red 40 models and cant wait to get them out. I havent had one stolen yet but I am sure It will happen eventually and it will sting a bit.

Thanks for all of the responses! Does anyone have any photos taken with the wild view trail cams that they would be willing to share?

• Like 1